Substitute for Vanilla Custard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhythm rambler

Jan 6, 2014
Tejas
I don't want to continue the debate but I've made the personal decision not to use custard flavorings, no matter how much I like them. I have found though that using TFA Sweet Cream in my mixes (especially vanillas) helps to get that super-creamy, "mouthy" taste of the custards. This is undoubtedly because it also contains acetoin but per TFA's site, only "trace amounts", and that's less of a risk I'm willing to take rather than the full custards. Just a suggestion for others :)

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I've used TFA Bavarian Cream. I don't know what's in it, but it does not make me cough like Cap's Vanilla Custard did, when i tried it a couple of years ago. It does, however, like to change my liquids to a reddish color over time. I don't much like that idea, either. Anyway, it's a more mellow flavor than the vanilla custard, so may benefit from a bit of regular vanilla added, IMO.

I still add a drop of my original bottle of the vanilla custard to my cup of coffee, occasionally. I always add cold water to my coffee, so I guess steam is minimal in my case.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Yeah, I should say that Sweet Cream probably won't work if custards irritate your throat. It has that same "scratchy" feeling that custards have, just milder, obviously from the acetoin.

Fwiw, we've had no problem with the Sweet Cream at all - but the VC is 'crazy irritating'.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I've used TFA Bavarian Cream. I don't know what's in it, but it does not make me cough like Cap's Vanilla Custard did, when i tried it a couple of years ago. It does, however, like to change my liquids to a reddish color over time. I don't much like that idea, either. Anyway, it's a more mellow flavor than the vanilla custard, so may benefit from a bit of regular vanilla added, IMO.

I still add a drop of my original bottle of the vanilla custard to my cup of coffee, occasionally. I always add cold water to my coffee, so I guess steam is minimal in my case.

Vanillin is typically what causes the reddish tint to juices - so that's likely the reason. When we made our Vanillin samples for testing, we went up to 10% (using a 10% Vanillin solution) - and the 10% was definitely a 'Cyndi Lauper' kinda hue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread