Status
Not open for further replies.

computertech83

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Bossier City, LA
Hello,
I have been a vaper for about a 1.5 years. I use a Vamo V5 with a Kanger protank 2. Setup works well for me. My wife wants to vape but wants big clouds, so I went and got her an rda. The CLT v2 is on order and should be in tomorrow. I have rebuilt micro coils for my protanks with no issues. What i would like to know is what gauge wire should i use and at what ohm range should i be shooting for to make this rda produce good clouds but still be safe and usable. Also what would be a good wick? I am really just looking for a good baseline to start from because i am sure i will have to tweek it after a bit. Any help would be great. Thanks everyone.

Kalaniboi81

May 23, 2014
Tacoma,WA,USA
It's said that the higher gauge wire gives off more crisp notes, but honestly i haven't been able to realy notice the difference myself. I've seen a couple reviews on the V2 and 24 gauge would be my suggestion. I wouldn't wrap it on anything smaller than a 3/32 drill bit because your going to want all that cotton in there. If she wants clouds i would say test a dual 8-10 wrap and see how she likes the vape. The CLT is an awesome RDA for the money good choice!

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
I agree with 28g as a good starting point.
It's a versatile size that allows for higher resistance builds or for moderate subohming and is considerably easier to work with over 30g

+1 on this.

28ga is a perfect starting point for RDAs. You don't want to go very sub ohm to begin with and 28ga is thick enough that it isn't so springy it's a pain to work with like 30ga or 32ga (in my opinion).

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
It depends on the device powering it more than anything! What is she using?

If it's the vamo 32g is your best bet hands down, stacking imr 18350 will power it up to 24+w.

If it's a single battery vamo you will want to try 33 for fast heat up and high temp.(I know people will freak at 33 but the heat up on 15w chip with duals is super fast. 2-3 second pulls) 8 wraps 33 at 2mm/ 5/64 will be 1.8. 6wraps each is 1.4. I would go 1.8 on single battery vamo due to amp limitations through the life of battery. 34 would be good too. 28g is slower heating on the vamo unless stacking and you won't be able to get a good dual with a 1.2ohm limit. With 28 your looking at like 6 second pulls or double pulls to get to full temp. I would think she may be happy with 3 second lung hits. You don't puff a cigarette for 6+ seconds.

With a mech mod you can go 28g. Lower to 26g if you knowledgeable of battery safety and want to go to cloud chasing. The 28 & 26 will heat fast if subohm above 25w for 28 , 30-35 for 26.

Clt with dual 32 on the zmax is a great vape. (Well I stack to get to the 4-5 amp limit)

Last edited:

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
yeah.....

I can't imagine only running 11 watts to an rda with massive airflow like the clt v2.... Honestly I would consider buying her a new mod. If you want to go regulated I would get something that could run up to 30 watts, or get her a mech mod...

If she wants clouds she is not going to get them with 11 watts. If she doesn't want to get something else I would listen to jeremy and use something like 32 gauge, because that's the only gauge wire that will heat up in this decade on 11 watt dual coil.

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
And for reference.... When I am going for clouds I typically run 26 gauge (on regulated) and 24 gauge on my mech. I typically throw somewhere between 40 - 60 watts at these builds... And its not a harsh vape or ridiculous at any level. I can enjoy that much power all day long.

edit: Oh and Rayon is by far my favorite wicking material

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
MVP it is doable with 33-34g, 34 will heat faster with wider wick coverage with better cloud. It will work. 34 will be the best cloud you'll get with 11w and a short cigarette draw. The clt will come with 2 coils of 34g, mine did. You can unwrap and rewrap to something other than silica if you prefer. Obviously you can tell my wick recommendation from my avi.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
You're not really going to get clouds of vapor with the vv v3. Not really enough power or the ability to build low enough to take advantage of what power it does have. The mvp might work but I would look at the istick or one of the newer variable wattage mods coming out now that can go to 20 and 30 watts and have a price point close to the vv v3 and mvp

As far as wire gauge 28 is a great starting point.. not so thin it will be hard to work with or snap off easily inside posts when tightening the post screws.. Not so thick that it will take forever to heat up and begin vaporizing. It does depend on the mod being used though as said previously.

Cman1337

Apr 21, 2014
Portland, OR
Or you can spend the same amount for a mid range authentic mechanical mod. We have great threads going on here about affordable mechanical mods for $100 or less. Definitely check it out. Will get her what she wants, and its easy to maintenance. I got my girlfriend into vaping with a Itaste V3 and a protank. She ended up liking the flavor and vape I got off my mechanical mod and quasar, so we bought her a copper quasar and a XXIX. She will never turn back.

At the moment I have my Infinite CLT V2 on a copper Manhattan using 22 gauge flat ribbon wire with dual coil six wraps. After about three draws I have to put it down. Cant imagine someone walking around with this setup so..................don't do this.

I'm kinda ditto on this, I was uber excited to get my clt v2, the asthetics are incomparable with the black stingray x on hybrid mode, but have found myself dropping down even farther into the dangerous amp draws just to make up for the ridiculous airflow, rocking dual 5/64 20g 6 wraps at an alarming .10-.11ohm reading. it has sadly become a mere competition price for me:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread