Supercapacitors Usher in a New Wave of Milli-Ohm Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Innovation in the automotive and energy sectors has led to a breakthrough in capacitor technology that is primed to take the enthusiast vaping community by storm!
TAATL18.png

18650 cells (18mm x 65mm) hold up to about 10Wh (~3000mAh) of energy charge, take a couple of hours to charge, and output 3.6V nominal at up to 30A. C-rating up to 20C. They are designed for slow, constant discharge that does not resemble vaping, and last for only a year or two in practice since they are good for only a few hundred cycles. Cost $15. Boy, it's hard to imagine why we're still clinging to this stone age technology, since:

A supercapacitor like the Maxwell BCAP3000 in the moderately larger form factor of 601400 (60mm x 140mm, fist sized) holds 3Wh (~1100mAh) of stored energy, outputs 2.7V nominal, and takes seconds to minutes to charge depending on your source of DC power. They can be combined in series to allow higher voltages and higher capacities. The supercapacitor is intended to discharge rapidly at hundreds or thousands of Amps without trouble which makes them ideal for the intermittent, high-drain application of vaping, especially competitive vaping. C-rating of 1700C! Good for up to a million cycles, supercaps could last for decades in practice. Cost $60.

ejU40Mn.png

As you can see, even the fattest coils that steam-engine will allow require less than 1% of the amp limit. The potential is clear. No longer are we limited to anemic dual-coil builds. We are clearly headed toward multiduodeca-coil milli-ohm vaping at thousands of watts.

Though the trivial details of implementation still remain, by this time next year I could be saluting you with my Wonkvape Dualcap Quattuorviginti-Coil 8.3mΩ 3500W Cloud God!

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: AttyPops

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Innovation in the automotive and energy sectors has led to a breakthrough in capacitor technology that is primed to take the enthusiast vaping community by storm!
TAATL18.png

18650 cells (18mm x 65mm) hold up to about 10Wh (~3000mAh) of energy charge, take a couple of hours to charge, and output 3.6V nominal at up to 30A. C-rating up to 20C. They are designed for slow, constant discharge that does not resemble vaping, and last for only a year or two in practice since they are good for only a few hundred cycles. Cost $15. Boy, it's hard to imagine why we're still clinging to this stone age technology, since:

A supercapacitor like the Maxwell BCAP3000 in the moderately larger form factor of 601400 (60mm x 140mm, fist sized) holds 3Wh (~1100mAh) of stored energy, outputs 2.7V nominal, and takes seconds to minutes to charge depending on your source of DC power. They can be combined in series to allow higher voltages and higher capacities. The supercapacitor is intended to discharge rapidly at hundreds or thousands of Amps without trouble which makes them ideal for the intermittent, high-drain application of vaping, especially competitive vaping. C-rating of 1700C! Good for up to a million cycles, supercaps could last for decades in practice. Cost $60.

ejU40Mn.png

As you can see, even the fattest coils that steam-engine will allow require less than 1% of the amp limit. The potential is clear. No longer are we limited to anemic dual-coil builds. We are clearly headed toward multiduodeca-coil milli-ohm vaping at thousands of watts.

Though the trivial details of implementation still remain, by this time next year I could be saluting you with my Wonkvape Dualcap Quattuorviginti-Coil 8.3mΩ 3500W Cloud God!

Supercapacitors have much lower energy density currently than even non alkaline batteries. They also lose power spontaneously over time at a rate far greater than current batteries. They do have advantages though. They’re safer, much longer lasting, and can deliver power much faster. The bugbear remains energy density. No one wants to carry around a vape the size of a grapefruit. If the energy density can be increased to even the level of an alkaline battery though I have no doubt that vaping, along with the entire world, will change.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
IDK if I'll live to see it, but it will happen eventually.

I looked at this way back in my modding days. And it was the bulk that made it impractical.

I had a cig-a-like in mind, that would charge in an ashtray-like device, so you'd take a puff or two, put it in the tray, puff or two, tray, etc. It didn't need to be totally portable and the quick charge would be enough for a few puffs.

But the damn thing would be larger than a cig-a-like could handle. And if you can't get the form factor, it's not worth the "experience" to vapers. Might as well use a battery of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread