Tank cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

suziewright

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
I just opened my cardinal red vaporfexion tank, filled it with my cherry blossom juice, put a little juice on the inside of the caps so the carto would slide in easier. As I was screwing the tank on my battery, I noticed I had juice on my fingers. Wiped my fingers and the tank and continued to screw it into place. Suddenly juice everywhere! I looked closer at the tank and it was full of little spiderweb cracks! I have used tanks for 6 months and I know how to use them. I have been using this juice in a smoketek tank for a month. I'm thinking the tank was damaged when I got it and I didn't notice it.

Ive had one tank crack in 6 months and it was just one crack down the side. Nothing like this. What do you all think?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just opened my cardinal red vaporfexion tank, filled it with my cherry blossom juice...Suddenly juice everywhere! I looked closer at the tank and it was full of little spiderweb cracks!...I have been using this juice in a smoketek tank for a month. I'm thinking the tank was damaged when I got it and I didn't notice it...What do you all think?

"Our tubes are our exclusive through and through color Polycarbonate." -- that's likely your answer right there. The spiderweb cracks are a notorious sign of a chemical reaction between polycarbonate plastic and certain substances found in some juices. The typical juice flavors known to cause this are the cinnamons, citris, and acidic flavors.

You mentioned that you had safely used this juice in a SmokTech tank for a month. You didn't mention how long you've had this tank. Recently SmokTech began offering polypropylene tubes in place of the polycarbonate tubes in their tanks, probably because of what just happened to your Vaporfexion tank. Polypropylene is another type of plastic that medical syringes are made from, and is immune to caustic e-liquids. You often can tell the difference between the two types of plastic if you look closely -- polycarbonate is crystal clear while polypropylene is frosted or opaque.

Not all cinnamon or citris juices react with polycarbonate, but enough do that most people aware of this potential problem either avoid putting these juices in polycarbonate devices or put them in safer containers like polypropylene or pyrex glass.

There is a thread here that has a continuously updated list of juices confirmed to melt or crack polycarbonate. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tanks/219179-lets-make-list-juices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos.html

Sorry about your misfortune. Those are very pretty tanks, but I avoided buying one because of the material the tubes are made from. The manufacturer does sell replacement tubes for a few bucks. All my tanks are either DCT polypropylene tubes or made from pyrex so I don't have to worry about what juice goes in them.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have certainly learned a hard lesson. I now know what to look for when buying a tank. Also, the supplier was understanding, answered my email promptly and is going to send me another red tank and a clear one for my cherry blossom juice. Thank you Baditude for taking the time to explain. I love ecf!

Your welcome. Learned everything I know mostly from this site, and I'm happy to share my knowledge and experience with others.

Interesting what you said about the vendor sending you a clear tube for your cherry blossom juice. Any idea what material it is? I did not see any listing on his site for polypropylene tubes, so if it's truly clear, my guess is it's another polycarbonate tube and is vulnerable to crack if exposed to caustic juices. He may have a small supply of polypropyline tubes that he keeps on hand for customers like you. :p If this is the case, it will be clear frosted or slightly opaque.

speedemon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Stick with glass tanks, they will not break from juices or use polypropylene tanks, they also can handle juices. For the life of me I can't understand why so many vendors use polycarbonate, they hate juice! LOL bnrk

I like polypropylene works great no cracks it will take any juice or abuce you give it i buy my own lengths and cut size i want,use on my bella,elegance,jonboy.I think many still use the polycarbonate because it is clear as glass.I like the frosted clear look from the polypropylene,i can put water in there and still see it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread