Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello dear fellow vapers,

Another review for you, this time the vaporesso Target PM80 SE, a new pod-mod by vaporesso. Thank you @Vaporesso_Chelsea for sending me this kit for the purpose of this review.

I’ve done a review on the earlier PM80 version in January, a really nice DTL pod-mod, at the time the best DTL Pod-mod I’ve tried. That review can be found here > Target PM80 review

Main difference between the PM80 and PM80SE is that the PM80 SE is powered by an external 18650 battery. Both pods take the exact same new GTX coil line, which I will also be talking about in this review. Unfortunately, I do not have my PM80 any longer to put them next to eachother, not because I did not like it, but sometimes I have just too much gear and then I give away some.

Also I was sent the full GTX coil line for review including the RBA coils, also I will review these coils in this review.

What I got in the box:

1 x VAPORESSO TARGET PM80 SE device
2 x VAPORESSO TARGET PM80 POD (4ml)
1 x GTX 0.2Ω mesh coil
1 x GTX 0.6Ω mesh coil
4 x Airflow silicone plug
1 x USB cable
1 x User manual
1 x Warranty card
1 x Reminder card

The Kit

Just like the PM80, the PM80 SE kit also comes with 2 pods, which is a major pro allowing me to have two different coils or tastes on the same device without having to purchase any extra pod. I do hope Vaporesso will change the packaging for future releases, it sometimes is really hard to slight open the box as its packed so tight to the edges.

Some specs from the Vaporesso website (here is also the link >Target PM80 SE » Vaporesso):

Very nice ergonomic design, not sure what type of metal is used as I can’t find it anywhere, but I guess Zinc Alloy. The colored pattern on the side feels nice on the hand, I think it is some kind of silicon sheet that is glued to the device. Mine is the silver version, but also the other colors available are nice. Overall I really like the looks of this pod-mod.

While we are talking about the design, one thing I do not like much is the firebutton. It functions well, but I have a feeling it sits quite loose as it rattles slightly and its made out of plastic, it would have been much nicer if they would have put the firebutton a bit tighter and maybe of higher grade-plastic or even zinc alloy. I do like the shape of the firebutton, it feels nice on the index finger. The navigation buttons sit much tighter and with them I don’t have so much of an issue. But I wished the navigation buttons would have been placed horizontally next to each other instead of the current vertical placement, reason being is that the screen also is vertical and when holding to navigate it makes more sense the bottom button would be plus, but its minus.

The screen is much more simplistic than on the original PM80, it’s a vertical screen with no fancy colors, just white on black. I much prefer the screen on the original PM80, which is horizontal and just looked nicer with its colors and was maybe easier to navigate on as well. Not sure why Vaporesso went with the vertical screen, looking at this specs both devices have the same width. Not a deal-breaker, because it is still easy to navigate through the menu’s holding the device sideways.

For me the screen shows all details I need to see on a pod-mod, battery-level, resistance, puff-counter, vape-timer, wattage level, and additionally it shows ‘BEST’ wattage range for the coil installed, which is great in helping to remind me what coil I am having inside the pod.

Function wise it is also simplistic, it does support VV which is useful for some vapers. Also, the Smart VW mode is useful, it automatically sets the wattage based on the coil installed in the pod. It recognizes the GTX coils very well and automatically adjusts according to coil, obviously you can still increase or decrease the wattage as you like. If you are not into this smart VW stuff you can turn it off. Getting into the menu is simple by holing the + and – buttons for a second.

The device fires really fast which is nice.

Most important feature on this pod-mod is that its powered by an external 18650 battery, never having to worry about being out of power if you have batteries stocked up (which most vapers do). The battery door can be opened easily by sliding it outwards, same for closing sliding it inwards. Like with all spring-loaded battery doors we need to be careful to not break if off accidently. Just like the PM80 this one also supports 2A quick charging, but most vapers know that its safer to charge outside of the device. I did however put it to the test by charging it several times from almost empty to full and never had any issues with the battery feeling hot, even warm, still I prefer to charge batteries outside of the mod. Maybe that’s because of the venting holes, there is plenty of them for a single battery mod. Charging a VTC5A (2600mAh) inside the mod takes around 1 hour. One significant thing I feel while vaping is that when the battery % drops under 20 the performance goes down.

The pods are very nice on this device, just like on the PM80. I think the pods are not the same since the PM80 SE is 0.4mm thicker. It is easy to see liquid level even when its installed into the device. I find the drip-tip OK, it could have been a bit wider, or even better a 510 or 810 connection. On the bottom the rubber seal is easily accessible, and its nice that you can actually turn the plug away from the fill-hole, not having to hold it while filling. Large enough fill-hole makes it’s a mess-free fill. Wished the capacity would have been slightly bigger, 4ML is not bad, but when vaping at 60watts it just sucks up juice fast. Pity Vaporesso did not go with the PTF fill system like on the PM30 (which I’m also testing and writing a review for) and the Podstick. Haven’t experienced major leaking issues apart from condensation, I do suggest keeping an eye on the connector of the pod as condensation builds up overtime.

Big miss is precise airflow adjustment. Vaporesso decided to go with the same airflow system as the PM80, meaning that there are rubber plugs provided in the kit with which the user can block on side of the airflow to make it more restricted. The airflow is not bad at all, it is even quite good for me personally, but every vaper has its own style and I think this is overall quite important. I really like vaping this device with one of the airflow sides sealed with the plug. It gives a nice slightly loose restricted DTL hit. Of course, the airflow is also dependent on the coil that is installed, but I will get into coils shortly. You might ask, can you use it as MTL? I tried the 1.2ohm MTL coil and yes, it is a quite pleasant MTL vape with one side of the airflow closed. It is not a tight draw, but also not very loose. Still, I would use this device only for DTL.

The GTX Coil Collection

Inside this kit came the GTX 0.2ohm and GTX 0.3ohm coil from the list below.

GTX 0.2Ω MESH (NiCr,45–60W,DTL)
GTX 0.3Ω MESH (NiCr,32-45W,DTL)
GTX 0.6Ω MESH Restricted DTL, 20-30W(Best:28W)
GTX 0.8Ω MESH Restricted DTL, 12-20W(Best:18W)
GTX 1.2Ω Regular Wire MTL, 8-12W (Best: 11W)
GTX RBA FeCrAI, 0.7Ω, Restricted DTL, DIY

(Additionally Vaporesos informed me a new GTX 1.2 Ω MTL MESH coil has been released with the PM30 kit, unfortunately I do not own this coil so can’t include it.)

More in-depth information on these coils can be found here > GTX Coils » Vaporesso

Some quick specs:

GTX 0.2Ω MESH (NiCr,45–60W,DTL)
Very dense flavorful vaper, average cloud production. The performance is really good at both 45W and 60W, the flavor is constant, and the performance is really magnificent.

GTX 0.3Ω MESH (NiCr,32-45W,DTL
Probably my favorite on the PM80 SE, flavor in my opinion slightly better than the 0.2. Obviously, this coil is not for massive clouds, but for a very nice smooth, dense and really flavorful vape. Also, these coils have constant flavor and perform really well.

GTX 0.6Ω MESH Restricted DTL, 20-30W(Best:28W)
Same as before, very great flavor, but this coil is for a really restricted DTL hit, even with the airflow wide open it is very restricted. Not my type of coil. It is actually also fairly good as a MTL coil if you like a warm and slightly loose draw. It is not very loose, you can feel quite some restriction.

GTX 0.8Ω MESH Restricted DTL, 12-20W(Best:18W)
Again, great flavor, but this one is too restricted and too little power for restricted DTL, even with the airflow wide open it is still too restricted. It’s more a loose MTL coil to me with the airflow closed on one side.

GTX 1.2Ω Regular Wire MTL, 8-12W (Best: 11W)
Regular wire means regular vaper, the flavor from these coils is proper and they do deliver nicotine very well. Been using these coils with 20mg/ml salts and it is really a pleasure vaping on these coils. Have been mainly using them on my PM30 (review to come) as the PM80 SE was mainly tested on the DTL coils.

GTX RBA FeCrAI, 0.7Ω, Restricted DTL, DIY

Easy to unscrew the cap from the base, but wow, how tiny the build-deck and screws are. It is not very complex to build on even though it might seem so. Placing the coils that came with the kit is simple and the metal guiding line helps keeping the coil in place.

Wicking is a bit tougher as the wicking ports are tiny and not very deep, really need to comb out very well and cut if short falling just on the bottom of the wicking ports. The wicking holes are very tiny so if not wicked properly or too tight you will burn it out easily. This RBA is advertised as restricted DTL, so that is what I used to coils for. I have to say that it vapes quite well as restricted DTL on 18 watts, the airflow is good. Flavor is proper, but for sure not as good as the MESH coils in this series. Of course, a lot depend on the build and the wicking.

I tried putting a Clapton coil in there, and you can forget about that, this RBA is purely for single wire coils I think up to max 24g, I only have 28g with me and that fits fine. Also, you won’t be able to pulse the coil to get hot spots out inside the RBA, so if you don’t have any RTA or RDA with you to first get hotspots out you are really limited to spaced coils. Another bummer is that it does not fit on the Target PM30, because this RBA would be nice for proper MTL vaping, which can be achieved on the PM80 but its slightly a loose vape.

Overall coil impression

These MESH coils are really good delivering fantastic flavor. I personally am a fan of the 0.2 and 0.3ohm, for me the others are too restricted of a DTL hit. Another thing that is really impressive is that after 4 to 5 days use the cotton looks still really clean on these coils, as if used just several hours, this would mean that these coils will go with you for a long time.

The RBA is very limited to the type of coils you can use, a bit disappointed about that, also that it does not go onto the PM30 is a pity.

Overall impression of kit:

It is a really nice kit with a simplistic menu and not more than regular functions. The 18650 external battery is obviously a good thing. Love the coils, I think I like the coils the most if I would have to choose something delivering really good flavor and a really smooth vape experience. This kit is for those that are looking for a proper DTL pod-mod with external battery. I personally I am not a fan of the RBA and the lower resistance coils, but others might like it. For the price of 39$ I think it’s a good buy.

Pro’s:

- Very nice design and materials feel proper
- Coil options and amazing flavor
- External 18650 battery
- Kit comes with two pods
- Simplistic menu and simple to operate
- Fires up quickly
- Mess-free filling with the large fill port
- 2A charging (for those that charge with 18650 inside, do not suggest it however)
- Next to variable wattage has Variable Voltage
- Smart VW is really smart
- Price, 39$ is a good price for this kit

Con’s

- Vertical screen placement
- Firebutton rattles and feels a bit loose, also could have been made from zinc alloy instead of plastic.
- Airflow limitation
- Performance drops at 20% already
- RBA is OK, but expected a bit more
- Drip-tip could have been wider, or 510/810 connecter
- Capacity could have been slightly bigger

And that’s it, probably my longest review so far

Thanks for reading this review, if you have any questions about this device let me know!

Take care,

SP013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread