Status
Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
A 50 meter spool of pure nickel 29 awg wire has been nagging at me to buy a mod to put it in! I have been wanting to get my feet wet with temp control although I'm not convinced that I really need to since I'm very happy building with kanthal on various atty's using regulated (ipv mini 2) and numerous mechs.

I took the plunge regardless with an inexpensive option in a attractive wood box, the Tesla 120 w TC which operates almost exactly like the DNA 40 chipset. I have no idea about this board made by Kingzone in collaboration with Tesla but in practice, I have had a good experience to date, and more or less success with building single spaced coils of 0.16 ohms +/- in my derringer rda.

There does seem to be some conflicting information regarding minimum ohms when using nickel. The Tesla official website states 0.08 - 1.00 ohm and the instruction manual gives 0.18 for both nickel and regular coils! I have not managed to build a single coil over 0.16 using 12 wraps on a cotton bud stick (which I find ideal for the purpose of spaced coils) but it has fired them without issue!!

I'd be interested to know of others who have tried this mod (either wood or metal version) as to your experiences, positive or negative, and any information about the board etc

cheers
Juicy
0D74D2L.jpg

Due to the tropical climate, extreme dry weather or torrential rain I decided to protect the wood with bee's wax which darkened the finish slightly and gave it a cool grippy feel!

Using 2x samsung 25R x2, both sets married to this 'in series' mod and no issue as I test the batteries constantly to see if there is equal drain. Not sure if they need to be rotated from left to right due to load but am doing anyway just as an added precaution.

fyVzd7p.jpg

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
just a week later Tesla came out with the 160 watt version:(
3 weeks after that, they have the 200 watt TC with a cool carbon fiber look and fixed all the janky issues + the temp limiting seems to have been improved, I still get dry hits from mine unless I drop the temperature to under 400 f :cry:

Think I'll sell this and try my luck with something else or give up on using nickel altogether.
Not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread