Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
So I've been lurking for quite a while and just didn't sign up because I didn't feel I had anything to add. With the wealth of knowledge available on this forum it's hard for a new convert to add anything meaningful to most of the discussions. However, partly because of this forum, I have officially been off analogs for about a week and I'm pretty happy that alternatives like this exist.

My quick story:

About a week ago I decided enough was enough and wanted to get off the analogs. I've smoked on and off for about 14 years. I've quit a few times when I found I needed the extra wind for sports I was playing or simply got tired of the habit. The problem was I always got sucked back in. Within 7-12 months something would always happen were I felt the overwhelming need to buy a pack. I'm sure most of the converted smokers can understand how much it still calls to you even months or years after quitting. I was losing hope that this time would be the time. I also didn't want to go through another round of the drugs only to fail again. My wife also had reservations about me doing another round of pills to quit smoking because I was simply miserable for about 2 months and she paid the price for it.

So I decided to try e-cigs and promptly found what I thought would be a good solution and ordered a bunch of product. However, remembering my past experience with user forums in regards to vehicles and sports equipment I decided to see if there was a user community for e-cigs. I was pleasantly surprised. What a knowledgeable and diverse community exists on these boards. Where some other types of forums are full of elitists and know-it-alls this forum has a truly helpful spirit.

So once I perused the forums I quickly cancelled my Blu order. Not because I believe it's a terrible product but I thought it was pricy compared to much better products. Plus I know how I personally am. If I buy something entry level I'll want the next thing within a week. Figured I'd skip that step and went straight to a PV with more options. Ended up purchasing an EGO-C as it was highly regarded here for an entry level PV. I found a local store who's prices were slightly higher then online but I like the personal experience of seeing before buying. The store I went to ...wow, what can I say. Best customer experience I've had in my life in any industry. Unbelievable. One of the employees showed me the in's and out's of the EGO-C and sat with me while I sampled from 100's of different juices. Finally found about half a dozen I liked and he had me walking out of the store fully equipped and vaping away. I realize I spent more with them then online but they really earned my business. I value what they did for me and I was happy to give back. Something has to pay for the brick and mortar location. So now I have two EGO batteries, charger, atomizers, tanks and clearomizers as well. Kind of alternating between a lot of stuff with 8 different kinds of juice to see what I like the best. Including a charging pouch that I purchased online I can put about 3 days worth of gear in it. Have to be prepared in order to not be tempted into smoking!

So the EGO-C's are great. No complaints. I will want to use these as my take out with me E-Cig. After a week I knew I wanted more for home use. That's just me. I like fiddling around with stuff. I like understanding everything I'm doing and I like the good equipment. After watching dozens of video reviews of which a substantial amount are from people that frequent this forum I also wanted to see what the fuss is about and ordered a Provari. Figured I'd try a lava tube or something first but I know myself, within a week I'd be ordering a Provari anyway. Might as well skip the in between and go straight to the end game. So now the wait for the Provari begins, as wella s the wait for some Alien Visions juice that people on here have been raving about.

For anyone that made it this far I do have a question. I'd like to order some more carto's for the Provari. The ones included in the starter kit appear to be a Boge 3.0 ohm. My understanding from looking at the graphs is that a 3.0 ohm will give the best voltage range to play around with and the Boge's seem to be quite liked here. Are all my assumptions correct?

Thanks,

EZ

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
Yep! 3.0 ohm single coil cartomizers at somewhere around 5 volts. You'll find that some juices taste better alittle above that, some alittle below that. You've made an excellent choice with the Provari and the ego...can't say I've heard too much good about the 'C' part, but with that battery, if you don't like the tanks that come with it, you can always explore other options. Happy Vaping!!

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
I don't have a Provari (though I do have a VV). I can't do a lot of carto vaping - they just don't agree with my throat it seems. I play with tanks/cartos/atties/etc but keep coming back to a nice solid atty for dripping.

So, my suggestions would be:
- HH.357 (from Avid Vaper : Personal Vaporizers and Accessories) - VERY expensive, but many believe worth it. I have yet to plonk down so much $$ on an atty. Just seems silly to me, but again, some swear by them and they are known to last a good while (i.e. 2-3+ months if treated well). They also carry 306 and 510 "Cisco spec" atties which many love and are much more reasonable at ~ $9 ea.
- Io6 (from IkenVape), especially if you like a tighter draw. The 2.5 would probably be best for a Provari. I've had some experience with IKV products, and they are very good. The support and warrantee are big pluses too.
- SmartVapes dripping atty (from SmartVapes Electronic Cigarettes). These are my favority for a price/performance standpoint (which is where I'm most compelled to look). I personally LOVE the 306 dripping atty they have for $6. The 510 is a beast especially with a thick 100% high-vg juice, but not good with thin liquid (leaky!). You may need an extra-long drip sleeve to successfully utilize your cone on the Ego-C (I don't know for certain - they are listed on AvidVaper for their 306's).

My latest thing is rebuilding atties with cotton wicks. I've been rebuilding a Stardust with NiChrome 80 34 guage wire. Clearly: the possibilities are endless!

Congrats on your success with switching off analogs!!! 'Eff' them bad boys; let's all stay alive while we enjoy inhaling such pleasurable flavors and substances.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Greetings from Canada! Welcome to ECF!

Sounds like you have learned a lot and are well set up.

Congratulations!! It's Great to "Break Free" !!

Enjoy!

My wife and I are Canadian, now residing in Santa Monica.(Although I'm originally from Poland)

I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. The second I saw how great vaping was I found a Canadian distributor and ordered a double starter pack of EGO-C's for each of my parents. Got them each 60ml of juice and they are both excited about getting their E-Cigs. Silver for my Mom, black for my Dad. If either of them quits it's well worth the 300 bucks I shelled out for them to try it. If not, then not...all I can do is try. I have high hopes for them as I had a very easy time. I'd like to have them around as long as possible so I'll pretty much do whatever it takes to get them started.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Congratulations!

Everything sounds pretty dead on. I'll add a recommendation though, try the Vivi Nova tank. No polyfil, just unscrew the top, dump your juice in, and vape. Great flavour, great vapour, replaceable/rebuildable heads, and looks great on the ProVari.

Huh....that's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was kind of having a problem finding a pre-punched Carto that I wanted with a tank I wanted from the same supplier etc etc etc. This seems to solve all of the issues, nice!

I personally have no problem with the short wick style. The short wick clearomizers I've been using are fine...I guess it's the angle I smoke I just don't get any dry hits.

Do these have some lasting power? Even though I see that the heads are fairly cheap to buy I'm wondering what the average longevity on these is.

EDIT:

I guess I need to get on it...as I was typing this I got an email that the Provari has shipped. Odd, as they said it would be 5-7 business days before shipping and I just ordered it this morning. Not that I'm complaining.

Thanks,

EZ

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
And another greeting from Canada ... Welcome to ECF! Good to hear that you are enjoying the eGo-C. It's what I started with also and I am still using it for my go-anywhere setup in a lanyard too. Small, portable and just right when I'm out. I'm sure you're going to love the Provari - I went the LavaTube ver 1.5 (3 amp limit) route and it's working for me, but that's just me :) . I have a Mom and Pops mini-sub tank with Boge 3.0 ohm single coil cartos that work just fine on the LT. Don't have any experience with other cartos, but hey, if it's not broke, why fix it?! I think you will like them for the Provari.

Best of luck and happy vaping!

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
My wife and I are Canadian, now residing in Santa Monica.(Although I'm originally from Poland)

I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. The second I saw how great vaping was I found a Canadian distributor and ordered a double starter pack of EGO-C's for each of my parents. Got them each 60ml of juice and they are both excited about getting their E-Cigs. Silver for my Mom, black for my Dad. If either of them quits it's well worth the 300 bucks I shelled out for them to try it. If not, then not...all I can do is try. I have high hopes for them as I had a very easy time. I'd like to have them around as long as possible so I'll pretty much do whatever it takes to get them started.

I wish I could have done that for my father and brother and added a few years for my dad and many years for my brother! Certainly makes us rethink this money angle, for sure.

I hope everyone does well. Thanks for sharing!

TarFreeMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Bellevue, NE
Huh....that's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was kind of having a problem finding a pre-punched Carto that I wanted with a tank I wanted from the same supplier etc etc etc. This seems to solve all of the issues, nice!

I personally have no problem with the short wick style. The short wick clearomizers I've been using are fine...I guess it's the angle I smoke I just don't get any dry hits.

Do these have some lasting power? Even though I see that the heads are fairly cheap to buy I'm wondering what the average longevity on these is.

EDIT:

I guess I need to get on it...as I was typing this I got an email that the Provari has shipped. Odd, as they said it would be 5-7 business days before shipping and I just ordered it this morning. Not that I'm complaining.

Thanks,

EZ

They last pretty well for me. I have quite a few of them from v1 to v2.5 simply because I like to vape several different juices throughout the day. I bought a bunch of extra heads thinking I'd go through them like I did cartos. I had to replace a couple early on due to my own ignorance regarding cleaning them but haven't popped a single one in the last 6 weeks or so.

I hear they're really easy to rewick and recoil the heads but I haven't bothered to try that yet. Maybe one of these days when I'm intrigued enough to mess with it. Each comes with 3 heads and I think I have about 30 or so extras. I doubt I'll have to buy heads for at least the next six months.

My routine now is to soak a new head in a Russian vodka, dry it fairly well with a paper towel, dry burn a couple short times to get rid of most of the vodka, assemble and use. Rinse and dry burn every couple of fills and things seem to be lasting very well.

I had the same experience with ProVape. I think it was 7-9 days when I ordered it and I ended up getting it in 3 or 4 I think. Very nice surprise to get things faster than expected. :)

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
It's amusing because I ordered the Provari then casually started looking at add on to order. Thought I had plenty of time to order all the of extras I wanted because of the 5-7 day lead time that Provari quoted. In the middle of doing research here iphone goes off and it's on it's way.

I really wanted to get the Alien Visions juice and that tank before it arrives but such is life. Guess I'll just have to use a carto and some of my regular juices. I really REALLY wanted to fog up my garage...guess that will have to wait a few days. My current juices don't have enough VG for the fog machine fog. For some reason, fog amuses me :p

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
So just a quick update in case anyone is following this.

My Dad received his EGO C setup in the mail today and after a 15 minute web cam session he's happily puffing away. In anticipation of the package arriving today he smoked his last cigarette last night and went without for 5 hours this morning. He was VERY eager to get it up and running when he phoned. He was almost climbing the walls this morning but he decided to stoically wait for the EGO C and not rush out to buy another pack.

After a few puffs he's sold. Probably due to his nicotine addiction being instantly satisfied. Doesn't matter though as I really hope it sticks and we have another convert.

Moms is supposed to arrive tomorrow(they are divorced) so hopefully another webcam session and another convert to add to the flock.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Dad is now about 48 hours without a cigarette. That's 2 days longer then he's been without for 36 years.

This is a guy from eastern europe that's smoked for a huge portion of his life. He was the person who I thought would never be able to do it. He was not only a committed smoker but saw absolutely no reason to quit. Didn't even think it was that bad for him. Now 48 hours later he's as happy as can be vaping away. His whole attitude towards smoking has completely changed in the last 48 hours as well. Said emptying the last ash trays from outside made him feel kind of sick. Could be psychosomatic for all I know but it's irrelevant because as of right now he has no desire to smoke.

I think if he can do it then there is hope for almost anyone. This board has so far helped to create two non smokers in my family and once my Mom's stuff finally arrives, hopefully 3.

Thanks again guys.

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
Awesome choices. Ego is a good solid "travel" PV. I use it at work all the time for my "smoke breaks". We just ordered the provari and anxiously await the arrival.

Currently it's ego twist (carries the VV), with Boge cartos. Wife ordered up some j-tanks to use the go to flavors on. (Had a smoketeck tank but there's a lot of bumbling around and I'm sure I'll drop the tank off the PV).

Wealth of knowledge here. Oh and awesome news on both parents kicking the habit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread