Status
Not open for further replies.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
I got bored today and wanted to make something. I also realized that my provari nor my buzz will hit the voltage I want with a 3.5 Ohm atomizer. So I took the top cap from my buzz and a coat hanger. I wound the coat hanger in a spring shape to hold 2 16340s. They sit in the spring positive down negative up. So it technically is reversed polarity from normal. It vapes at what the battey gives. It hits great at max voltage. 20 watt vape, I like it. Just squeeze the whole thing together and it vapes. DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT PROTECTED CELLS. Be very careful not to break the insulator around the battery, as this can cause shorthing.

photo.jpg

It could look much better but for 30 minutes of time and a coat hanger I have a 5.6-8.4V mod, depending on battery charge.

Last edited:

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
The top piece just pops off sideways. Not really a pocket friendly mod. If I pick up a piece of clear tube and a spring this might be a more pocketable mod.

I just made what I will call the Flash Right.

I found a aluminum 3xAAA flash light in a drawer. The top cap from the buzz fits PERFECTLY around the inside of the lip that retains the led fixture. So I took the paper piece from the hanger I bent up earlier and cut a spacer to make the batteries go straight down the center.

photo (2).jpg

Vapes just the same. It just has a on off switch. I'll inspect that further to see if I can make it a momentary.

Edit: I just checked. The buzz top caps are 15$. That makes for an easy mod if anyone wants one. From experience, if you are going to be using 3.7V batteries. Pick up a multi charger so you don't have to buy a new charger when you buy a new battery style.

Edit 2: One 18650 fits perfectly. Fits better than the 2 16340s, they leave a little gap on the threaded part.

Last edited:

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
Good lord! Freakin 20 Watts? You must have lungs made out of kevlar wrapped titanium...Over 5.7 volts is too much for me. Juices don't taste right for that matter, and that is with 3.5ohm atties.

Yeah I don't think I could do it regularly but It has a massive flavor and vapor. The atty I was using I checked to be 3.7 which is better than 3.5 but a 4-4.5 Ohm I think would be bareable as a regular vape.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... to hold 2 16340s. They sit in the spring positive down negative up. So it technically is reversed polarity from normal. It vapes at what the battey gives. It hits great at max voltage. 20 watt vape, I like it. Just squeeze the whole thing together and it vapes. DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT PROTECTED.
Yea, 20W... dream on.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Yea, I wasn't going to be the first to say, but 20W would be pretty tough. The only way I know you can do that is with a 1.6Ω dual coil at 5.7V. Even a single 3Ω cartomizer is rough for me at 5.7V. A 1.6Ω DC at 20W is 3.6 Amps, BTW. I think a couple IMR 16340s could handle that, though definitely not protected ICOs. If using ICOs they would have to be unprotected, and at that current...well, better have good fire and medical.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
I was using it off and on today, it is a really intense vape. Definately not an all day vape. I am using it with two trust fire 16340s on a HV atty or one IMR 18650 on a LR. I know IMRs don't have a pcb but they are safe chemistry. It is really nice with an LR. I could vape that regularly but it was my buddies LR and I like HV on my provari more.

I disassembled the switch and altered it so it works as a momentary. It is a mechanical switch. A spring keeps a disk away from two terminals and as I push the button the disk closes the ciruit. I also removed the rubber button end cap and now the 16340s fit completely. I just have to slide the button up the tube a bit for an 18650. It is pretty nice for a first mod that I got bored and made for fun, even though I should be working on my LT1170 circuit diagram. I'll work on that tomorrow.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I was using it off and on today, it is a really intense vape. Definately not an all day vape. I am using it with two trust fire 16340s on a HV atty or one IMR 18650 on a LR. I know IMRs don't have a pcb but they are safe chemistry. It is really nice with an LR. I could vape that regularly but it was my buddies LR and I like HV on my provari more.
Well you really can't just judge LR vaping with just one atty. Too many folks fall into the watts thing. We don't vape watts.

LR Joye 510/306s, Cisco's 510/306s. SmokTeck dual coils, LR SLBs, LR EMs etc. All about the same watts but very far from being the same experience.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
That's true, wattage gives you an idea, but even at the same wattage, you'll get differences depending on the atty/carto.

BTW, with two IMR 16340s and an HR atomizer, that's more like 15W. It's pretty hard to get 20W out of anything. Still, 15W is a lot of power to vape with. I vape around 6W myself.

Don't be careless with the IMRs. They are "safer", but they can still vent like ICO cells when run beyond their tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread