The Dart. Small USB mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
This is made with a male USB plug. The atty connector(KR-808D/901) is held in place by the wires(22 guage) originally. The cover will be connected to it to make it sturdier. To keep the switch from causing a short(lot of bare metal), I used liquid electric tape to cover everything inside the plug.

On the final 2 pics, I took apart one of the 510 USB battery chargers from mad vapes & used the case(I'm using the charger for something else). The cover isn't perfect, yet. You can see where I pried it apart. I should have filed it down, but didn't really notice it til I took the pictures. I don't know what that mark is on the switch... Damn macro-photography.:( I've got some polymer putty & I'm thinking about making something custom for it.

This thing hits like a bear off of the Kensington. The pics show it with a 510 carto & adapter.

You can plug into any USB source that supplies enough current & use it. To use it as a regular passthrough, just get a USB cord with a male end on one end & female on the other.

4516202639_25f41f410e_o.jpg

4511875343_8737649842_o.jpg

4511876017_e0b94605b9_o.jpg

4511875713_95a3d33cf0_o.jpg

4511876361_e9552a2ddd_o.jpg

4512517220_43f4359918_o.jpg

4601516119_c97a6b9bd1_o.jpg

4601515981_dd9fb1b46a_b.jpg

Last edited:

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Thanks.
5.08v on my desktop & it works great. Haven't tried it on a car adapter.
I haven't had the best of luck with the car adapters. I used one for a while & it worked great, then I popped 2 401 attys, so I don't really mess with those anymore. But hey, it's a 25 year old camaro, so the wiring may not be up to the challenge.:)

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Very cool Sci, I just got one of those really cheap last week, might have to try that! More details please...Is it just the switch + & - to the inside of the usb plug? I have a few small 12mm X 12mm switches, wonder if that would work?

Take a look at this.
4509214505_a82aa13d64_b.jpg

That top solder that looks like it isn't hooked to anything runs to one side of the switch. The red wire comes off of the other side & goes to the atty. The black wire runs from the usb plug to the atty. The black stuff is liquid electric tape. I used it to keep anything from shorting. Make sure you get the + & - right on the usb plug. You can plug it in before you do anything else & meter it. A positive voltage gives you the correct + & - sides. A negative voltage means you've got the meters test leads backwards.
Take your switch & lay it on the top & see how it looks. The switch I used is 6mm across the posts & about 11.5mm across the whole switch at the widest point. It had 4 posts on it, I got rid of 2 of them. That way I only had to drill 2 holes in the usb plug. I used epoxy to attach the switch to the usb plug.
Important.... Solder wires to the atty connector & then cut them to length to go to the switch & usb. I soldered the wires to the switch & usb connector first and it was not easy soldering those wires inside of that atty connector!8-o Won't do that again.:)
I used solid wire on this, but that really shouldn't matter.

Have you got a link or a pic of the switch you have?

Last edited:

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Sci, I believe they cross...I connect caddy corner legs.

They do, I ordered 10 of these switches and they work fine, here is my "backup" when I am out and about :) I just used mighty putty to fill in the spaces.
Dan

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 47

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Looks great, Dan. I just got some "Green Stuff" that I am going to try out. I think it's supposed to stay somewhat flexible. I also have some air dry polymer clay from Michaels called 'dry hard', of all things, that I tried a little of & I think it will work well, too.
Did you give yours a try with the car usb hookup?

Works like a dream on my 2.5A 4.5VDC car adapter :p
It just went to the paint booth :)
Dan

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Gotta see pics of it when it comes out!
I just noticed, you left out one of the metal pieces of the usb plug? <smacks head> I didn't even think about that.

Yes, first I cut two oppisite legs then I folded one switch leg under and soldered it to the + terminal on the USB. Then I soldered a ground wire from the - on the USB to the tapered piece that holds the wires. I then soldered the atty to the tapered piece and finally pulled the remaining switch leg to the center and soldered it to the center atty connecter. Then I puttyed it in.

Also if you noticed I pulled the center two USB pins out, didnt need them.
Simple... LOL
Dan

Last edited:

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Yes, first I cut two oppisite legs then I folded one switch leg under and soldered it to the + terminal on the USB. Then I soldered a ground wire from the - on the USB to the tapered piece that holds the wires. I then soldered the atty to the tapered piece and finally pulled the remaining switch leg to the center and soldered it to the center atty connecter. Then I puttyed it in.

Also if you noticed I pulled the center two USB pins out, didnt need them.
Simple... LOL
Dan

Smooth!:toast:
I was just looking @ my plugs & found out I have 2 different types. One has the USB pins facing up where you can get to them, the other, you have to solder to them 1st as they are facing down. They also have a black cap that snaps on to cover them. I thought I got them all @ the same place.:glare:
I found a new switch that I'm going to use on my next one:
tactileSW.jpg

They are 1/2" square, 1/8" deep w/o the brace & 1/2" deep with it. I like these, just wish the leads came out of the bottom. I can always liquid tape the leads if they are exposed a little, I guess, same color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread