Status
Not open for further replies.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Well I couldn’t get on the ECF so I started surfing the web and found a pretty neat article about e-cigs.
I figured I would cut and paste instead of just putting a link up, yea I was that board.
And since I found it on the internet it has to be true right?
And I’m sorry if someone already posted this. But I did a search on ECF and didn't see anything.

The Development of e cigs.

Joseph Robinson filed a patent for the first “Electric Vaporizer” in 1927. Here’s an excerpt from the original document:

01.jpg

“My invention relates to vaporizing devices for holding medicinal compounds which are electrically heated to produce vapors for inhalation, and to provide a device for individual use which may be freely handled without any possibility of being burned.” – Joseph Robinson, May 3, 1927, New York

In 1930, Robinson’s patent was approved and published by the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office).

While this device wasn’t invented as a tobacco alternative, its design is very similar to the more modern e cigs and I think Mr. Robinson deserves some credit!

In 1963, Herbert A. Gilbert’s patent for a “smokeless non-tobacco cigarette” was filed in Pennsylvania
03.jpg
“The present invention relates to a smokeless non-tobacco cigarette to provide a safe and harmless means for smoking by replacing burning tobacco with heated, moist, flavored air. Another object is to provide an article of manufacture resembling a cigarette by which air may be drawn through a porous substance of a cartridge which has been moistened with a chemically harmless flavoring preparation, heated by a suitable heating element. A further object is to suitably raise the temperature of the inhalant mixture, so that it may approximate that of cigarette smoke. A further object is to insulate the heat source so that the ‘cigarette’ may be held in the fingers without discomfort to the user’s hand.”

In 1965, Gilbert’s patent was officially issued by the USPTO

04.jpg

Gilbert’s invention was even featured in the December 1965 issue of Popular Mechanics

05.jpg

Like modern-day e-cigarettes, these first two inventions combined heat, flavored liquid, smoke-like vapor, and a cigarette-like gadget.

Between 1965 and 2000, there were several more patents filed for electronic cigarette-esque products, but none really took off until Hon Lik had a dream in 2000…

Hon Lik (I could only put 5 pics up so I had to leave his pic out, :( it was him or his e-cig)

“The idea of the electronic cigarettes came to me in a dream in 2000. Coughing and wheezing, I imagined I was drowning, until suddenly the waters around me lifted into a fog.” – Hon Lik

China, circa 2003. Hon Lik’s father had just passed away, having given in to lung cancer. Lik was a heavy smoker just like his dad, and he wanted to avoid the same fate. So, he translated his dream of water turning to fog into a revolutionary invention: the electronic cigarette.

07.jpg

In 2004, Hon Lik’s first
patent was officially issued by the USPTO, placing the first modern e-cigarette into the market.

“The present invention relates to an electronic atomization cigarette which contains nicotine without harmful tar. The electronic atomization cigarette includes a shell and a mouthpiece… The advantages of the present invention include smoking without tar, significantly reducing the carcinogenic risk. Furthermore, users still feel as if they are smoking and experiencing the same excitement, and the cigarette is no need to be lit and is no fire risk.”

Since being issued his first patent in 2004, Hon Lik has filed several more relating to e cigs.

Electronic cigarettes were first introduced for sale in Europe.

2007-2008

Electronic cigarettes became available in the United States. One of the first American debuts was at the American Tobacco Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada where the e-cig won multiple awards.

2009-Present .

Electronic cigarettes are a growing industry in the United States, having ballooned from $300 million in retail sales in the U.S. in 2012 to $1.8 billion in 2013.

The e-cigarette industry is projected to reach over $2 billion in 2014 and some analysts predict that this could grow to $10 billion by 2017.

Not sure about them numbers but I am sure the Trolls will be all over it if I am wrong :)

You think that’s a lot of money?
In 2011, the tobacco industry spent $8.8 billion on cigarette and smokeless tobacco advertising and promotion or more than $24 million each day.

More than 293 billion cigarettes were purchased in the United States in 2011,
I don't know if includes the ones they give away, like the buy 2 packs get one free kind of stuff.

In other words we have a long hard fight a head of us!!! :) Spread The Vape! :vapor:

PS I hope all the links work :) because pics kinda small. Click Patent to see it.

Last edited:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread