Status
Not open for further replies.

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
The DID Atomizer
Just curious as to what others thoughts are but, what do you guys think of the did atomizer? In the genesis line of atomizers although the unit is perhaps more polished in the connector area than say a line or comparable but, Is it safe ?

I ask this in sincerity but not without a reason to speculate. Well Brass is made up of copper and zinc, additonally free machining brass has a 2% lead content.

Ever take a DID apart? Ever notice your brass thumb nuts and brass pin are corroded from your juice ? Ever wonder what that break down sediment contains ? Ever wonder that because the brass post and thumb nuts are in the airway of the device and constantly in contact with the juice that you may be breathing the contaminents directly into your lungs for absorbtion into your body?

Now take the fact that we dont really know what the did's brass is alloyed with and if it is in fact free machining brass. So it may or may not contain lead. We just dont know so I refuse to speculate on the basis of a possibility rather than a hard fact. What we do know is that it does infact contain copper because, all brass is made with zinc and copper. Take your did apart and wipe the black sludge off the center post in white paper towel,yeah its there, trust me , look at your thumb nuts, not brass colored are they, kinda dark,right ?)

So if we can agree the juice is breaking down the brass, then it must be chemically seperating the zinc from the copper. If the zinc and copper are seperate and the copper and zinc eventually end up being aspirated by the user drawing air in from the hole in the top cap and across the wick (and cosequently the positive post) Are we infact exposing ourselves to a very real possibility of contracting something like Wlison's Disease ? Please dont everyone freak out. I am looking for answers. I am by no means a healthcare professional or a scientist.

I dont know so I am hoping someone with a bit more knowledge might be able to shed some light on the subject.

(Mind you countries have different laws regulations and standards. For all I know their government may have determined brass to be bio-compatible. I just dont know.)​

Last edited:

rotohammer

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
NJ USA
I searched the web for this answer, the worst case scenario I found is that the brass gets a thin layer of patina on it which will seal it from further chemical reaction.

I've drilled the fill hole on my chrome plated brass DUD one month ago and it still shiny, so the juice I use isn't even reacting. The knurled nuts on my atomizer posts are stainless and they are turning dark from the vapor residue and close proximity to the coil.

Brass is much safer than pure copper. It's been used for many years as mesh inserts in tobacco pipes with no known issues.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Brass where the wires connect inside combined with juice is a no no in my opinion, Brass also has a higher content of lead in it then SS does thats for sure, those 2 Brass nuts & center pole do turn black and get pitted up fairly quickly then it comes in contact with your juice and you end up vaping all of that, it's a simple change to buy the SS Kit Jim offers, and all DiD's are now made with all SS I believe.

I run 2 full size DiD's but with ALL SS Parts and there a super Genesis Atty when set up properly, Jim the maker did an excellent job with these especially when he changed to the all SS Build. I run mine with 500 SS Mesh and 28Awg Kanthal wire and the flavor and vapor is 2nd to none, just a great Atty at a reasonable price and Jim usually has extra parts on the website just in case which other manufactures of Genesis Atty's dont usually have. +1 for the DiD here.

Brass isnt just Brass, there are many types, wiki is a good read on it here below, should answer some of your quwations =
Brass:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Newg i do not know the answer to your question but its a good question. Nowadays the DID's from Greece have a stainless positive post and nuts. The 2 that i have currently are brass and just this morning i took apart as i saw some very small black piece's on bottom of tank from the coil gunk working its way into the tank. Took it apart and yes the positive post was darkened with some small real dark spots on it.
Took my dremel and used it's small stainless brush and cleaned everything all shiny again.

I dont know about all the materials and the reactions they have.
But i suppose iv'e certainly had my share of them along with a few other things for example.
When young i recall on several occasions my brother and i at the kitchen table rolling back and forth a mercury ball from the thermometers we broke it amused us at the time.
Growing up with parents from Italy we had spaghetti each Sunday the pot the sauce it was cooked in for 6 hours or more at low heat was a heavy solid aluminum pot that was in family use before my time and probably when i discarded it after getting married having kids etc was eaten from over 50 years time.
It was somewhat pitted on the inside bottom but boy that tomato gravy sure would shine it up as it would eat away any blackness from the aluminum.

Parents long gone as Dad passed having his 6th heart attack prior to having triple then quadruple bypass surgery and was 3 pad smoker all his life until near the final couple of years when he gave them up passed at 76.

Mom died of cancer at 63 - never smoked
Anthony my brother died from heart attack at 43 he smoked.
Me well i smoked many years at 2 pad along with cigars then a pipe and back to 2 pad and been totally free of them going on 20 months.
Guess i could die from any number of things but hope its a good while from now. ; )

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
I would prefer stainless, mainly because it doesn't blacken up easily as much as anything else. Current DID's are all stainless and there's the option to upgrade old models with parts from the site - full set stainless steel did

As for it being a health risk, I don't know. Brass can contain from 0% up to 5% lead, but 5% is an extreme example, most types have much lower levels than that. MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource

Brass is commonly used in plumbing. It's even used in very high end espresso machines where the boiler and all pipes can be made of brass.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
The wilson's disease link you provided said that it is "...a genetic disorder that prevents the body from getting rid of extra copper..."

If your question is that if you have that genetic disorder, should you avoid brass in you atomizer, I would say yes. If your question is vaping a did will make you give you a genetic disorder, I would say I don't think so.

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
Also consider that brass, although mostly copper, doesn't react the same as pure copper with regards to oxidization. Hence the numerous reasons it was developed, to overcome the limitations of copper oxidation and improve the hardness primarily.

I read that too but the effects from over-exposure to copper is the same as having wilsons disease where normal copper intake cant be disposed of by the bodies natural processes. As we all know most things in moderations arent bad and are even infact necessary for life but too much and the balance gets upset.

Do I think anyone will die from using a atty with brass parts? No not hardly. Do I think that stainless is a better option? Sure. What would be the cost difference for the manufacturer? A couple dollars per unit? Totally worth it.

I am glad they switched to stainless , I did not know this but it begs the question, did they do this because of health concerns or unsightly discoloring that may just be a visual turn off for a few. Either way good knews that they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread