the final push: a request for encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Long story short: I have been vaping for about 4 months now. In that time I've learned a lot. Not only about vaping but about myself. vaping has helped me reduce my use of analogs greatly: 80% to be exact. 15 years, a pack a day. Now I'm down to those final 4; 1 with my coffee, 1 on the way to work, 2 at nights and I'm having the hardest time shaking them.

I want to get those last 4 gone. So I'm writing this community for advice, suggestions and mostly encouragement.

I'm so close and just need that final nudge.

Thoughts?

A24Smiley

Mar 31, 2014
Mansfield, Ohio USA
Welcome and Go Bucks OH- . Umm as far as getting away from those last few. I recommend just reducing down to three a day for a week then two for a week then one for how ever long. It took me a long time to get rid of them completely but I was still proud of how much I reduced the amount. I still have a half a pack in my car haven't smoked for almost two months but I told myself if I really wanted one or felt I needed one I could smoke and that has worked for me so far. Good Luck you have already done great reducing that much. Everyone's journey is different be proud.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi! You're on your way. Suggestions: try them one at a time, and leave the first in the morning for last. And get another tank and fill it with higher-than-usual nic juice, pop it on and vape it at the time of the cig you're trying to kill.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Long story short: I have been vaping for about 4 months now. In that time I've learned a lot. Not only about vaping but about myself. Vaping has helped me reduce my use of analogs greatly: 80% to be exact. 15 years, a pack a day. Now I'm down to those final 4; 1 with my coffee, 1 on the way to work, 2 at nights and I'm having the hardest time shaking them.

I want to get those last 4 gone. So I'm writing this community for advice, suggestions and mostly encouragement.

Thoughts?

Personally, I had to stop buying smokes to keep myself from lighting up those few a day. I just couldn't completely stop, even though those few a day tasted like crap.

Also told myself I was stopping, not quitting. That stopped the panic I got at the thought of never smoking again. Did the trick mentally.

Even if you keep those last few a day, you are way ahead of the game and four smokes a day is way better than a pack a day. I'd say you are a success. It took me almost three years to completely put the cigarettes away.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Long story short: I have been vaping for about 4 months now. In that time I've learned a lot. Not only about vaping but about myself. Vaping has helped me reduce my use of analogs greatly: 80% to be exact. 15 years, a pack a day. Now I'm down to those final 4; 1 with my coffee, 1 on the way to work, 2 at nights and I'm having the hardest time shaking them.

Thoughts?

Congrats on dropping that first 80%! That's a hella step...

O.k. You've narrowed down WHEN you're having those last few. Sounds habitual. So, "1 on the way to work" - in your car? Why not vape instead? First thing I did when I backed out of the driveway (if I could even wait THAT long) was to light up. Now, I just take a hit on my mod. Yup, traded one habit for another.

"2 at nights" - what's going on in the evenings that draws you to a cigarette? Can you vape in lieu of one (or both) of the smokes?

Now, EVERYONE is different. Some folks still have a smoke or two - THEIR (i.e. YOUR) choice.

Nic level might be an issue. Maybe you could benefit from WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid) Some folks have sworn by that. I never really needed that. Getting rid of those last few smokes was purely monetary. I was just too darn cheap to buy another pack. I told myself that I'd spent enough (LOLOLOLOL) at that time (LOLOLOLOL) that I couldn't justify spending money on smokes AND vape stuff. Fast forward TWO YEARS, and I've spent PLENTY on moar vapey stuffs. But, it's my "reward" for not buying any more cigarettes.

You'll get there when the time is right. Hang in there.

Reactions: MudVaper

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Congrats on dropping that first 80%! That's a hella step...

O.k. You've narrowed down WHEN you're having those last few. Sounds habitual. So, "1 on the way to work" - in your car? Why not vape instead? First thing I did when I backed out of the driveway (if I could even wait THAT long) was to light up. Now, I just take a hit on my mod. Yup, traded one habit for another.

"2 at nights" - what's going on in the evenings that draws you to a cigarette? Can you vape in lieu of one (or both) of the smokes?

Now, EVERYONE is different. Some folks still have a smoke or two - THEIR (i.e. YOUR) choice.

Nic level might be an issue. Maybe you could benefit from WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid) Some folks have sworn by that. I never really needed that. Getting rid of those last few smokes was purely monetary. I was just too darn cheap to buy another pack. I told myself that I'd spent enough (LOLOLOLOL) at that time (LOLOLOLOL) that I couldn't justify spending money on smokes AND vape stuff. Fast forward TWO YEARS, and I've spent PLENTY on moar vapey stuffs. But, it's my "reward" for not buying any more cigarettes.

You'll get there when the time is right. Hang in there.

Yes, I had to use WTA. Still do as the need arises.

A lot of folks have success with having a special vape just for those times when they would smoke again - a kind of reward vape.

Reactions: DingerCPA

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
just-say-no-nancy-reagan.png

Reactions: Woofer

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Greetings.

I was in the same boat as you, Buckeyevapen. I had whittled myself down to 4 cigarettes a day, for those crucial times (upon waking and after eating a meal). One night, I realized my pack was empty. I just didn't bother to go and buy another. It has been well over 6 years since then, so I don't recall exactly what was going on in my head at the time. I'm sure I was a little anxious, but the store was half a block away and if I found I was freaking out, I could just run down there. I have not had a cigarette since that night.

So for me, it was not having them around, but close enough at hand for comfort. I congratulate you on your efforts and wish you a long and healthy cigarette-free life!

(BTW, I was a 2 1/2 - 3 pack a day smoker for 42 years. Absolutely hard core. I spent 10 days transitioning off cigarettes via vaping. I was flabbergasted at how easy it was.)

Reactions: JC Okie

Mannie

Mar 13, 2016
I used a large amount of mind-power. My brain is still relatively sore, but it was worth it. When I was down to the "final four" (I was just like you, believe me), every time I had the habitual craving, I forced my mind to think about the damage they do, and stiffly reached for the vape, only to realize how much better vaping felt, tasted, and satisfied.
In short, I mentally grossed myself out of smoking. Maybe that will help you, why not give it a go?

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Welcome and Go Bucks OH- . Umm as far as getting away from those last few. I recommend just reducing down to three a day for a week then two for a week then one for how ever long. It took me a long time to get rid of them completely but I was still proud of how much I reduced the amount. I still have a half a pack in my car haven't smoked for almost two months but I told myself if I really wanted one or felt I needed one I could smoke and that has worked for me so far. Good Luck you have already done great reducing that much. Everyone's journey is different be proud.
GO BUCKS INDEED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread