• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The Fl. State Bird..Mosquitos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Ban the Fl. state bird with these idea's..or post some of your own if you know any!:rolleyes:

Natural Mosquito Repellents:
  • [SIZE=-1]
  • Splashing plain rubbing alcohol on yourself and allowing it to dry will deter mosquitoes from biting you.
  • Rub Vick's Vaporub® on your pants and legs to ward off ticks.
  • Use half vanilla (has to be pure vanilla) and half water and for a mosquito and tick repellent.
  • Dab lavender oil on your pulse points; it smells great on you but repels insects. [/SIZE]

T-BAYJ

Jul 16, 2009
Tampa Bay , FL
Oh and I just about forgot, there is a kind of vitamin B that you can take that keeps them from biting, but you have to take it for a while. I need to look into that some more ;)

I read this and got to thinking that I get even alive , bad ...and remember when i was younger I had a slight vitamin b deficiency ...so ive been loading up taking b-12 and b-complex twice a day , and ive only been bit about once a day since for past three days ..Which is really low for usually get hit around 20 times a day

T-BAYJ

Jul 16, 2009
Tampa Bay , FL
According to google its thiamine (vitamin B1) that is thought to thwart of the little vampires . Its found in most b-complex but takes a while for it to start effect

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some studies suggest that taking thiamine (vitamin B1) 25mg to 50 mg three times per day is effective in reducing mosquito bites. This safe vitamin apparently produces a skin odor that is not detectable by humans, but is disagreeable to pregnant mosquitoes (Pediatric Clinics of North America, 16:191, 1969). It seems to be especially effective for those people with large allergic reactions. Thiamine takes about 2 weeks before the odor fully saturates the skin. Garlic may work in the same way (except, of course, the odor is detectable by humans), but I have seen no scientific studies supporting this. One recent study was unable to demonstrate that garlic was an effective mosquito repellant (Med Vet Entomol, 2005, 19(1)84-9.)[/FONT]

FL-Eagle

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Holiday, FL
I take a b-complex daily, I'm big on the vitamin thing but skeeters still seem to find me desirable :mad:

I've never heard of the dryer sheets in the pocket and I may give that a try.

Avon Skin So Soft works fairly well against skeeters but does nothing fro those nasty little flying teeth no-see'um's.

Came across this and am thinking about giving it a try when I'm out fishing since you don't apply it directly to the skin: Clip-On Mosquito Repellent by OFF!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I think I know what the problem is.
Wisconsin this time of year is about 85`, humidity about the same, and little buggers of all kinds are trying to eat us and feed their young.
Tonight it's 56`, we've had three thunderstorms this week, the yard is a foot tall and I don't have time to pull weeds out of the flowers....but there's not one mosquito any where to be found!
I bought some new tank tops this year for the hot humid days, so far haven't even tried them on. It's sweatshirts and more blankets on the bed, and against my husband's Red Neck religion to turn on the furnace until the end of October, for sure. Maybe later. Geez. This is the coldest ever summer on record for us. I wish I had a few mosquitos, but I think right now they're all on vacation in Florida! :thumbs:
Look guys, I'm six days away from 6 months! Next Friday I'm going somewhere expensive for dinner. Kinda hungry for Lobster!!!!! Don't worry, I'll dress warm....

Last edited:

FL-Eagle

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Holiday, FL
Scintar, the deet does work but I am very leary about putting it directly on my skin.
Years ago I used to do landscaping and lawn maintenance, I was in an Army surplus store and they were selling military grade deet. It was 99.9% deet, i learned real quick you don't get it on anything plastic as it melts it. And I noticed that when I put it on my heart rate shot through the roof.

There is on thing I've found that works everytime without fail.

Don't go out after the sun sets :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread