Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
Yes.
This is one that thought of but forgot half way through writing my post. (You'd think with all the essays I've ever written I'd know how to write a topics list before beginning the main verbiage first). I agree this is one that is definitely a factor and goes under the Habituation topic. In the zenith of my smoking days (while in A'stan), we'd watch movies all the time as a diversion. Someone would light up a smoke in the movie or show we were watching and immediately I'd get the desire to light one up. What's worse is when that trigger still happens after you quit. When I see that I sometimes still think about it and immediately start looking for my vape kit. Although I'm finding that trigger is starting to wane.

Stress is another, (the destructive mentality should be a subtopic of it now that I look back). Stress can cause us to run on a thought process that is subconscious. So many people equate smoking with stress relief that the brain instantly goes with what it knows. Sometimes picking up a smoke can be a near involuntary act if you run on automatic. The longer you do it, the harder it probably is to get rid of that.

Non-supportive peers - My best friend who loves me to death, still tries to offer me smokes. Even though he knows I've quit. Not wanting to insult someone can be a factor in the flip flop, especially people you care about.

I think the ultimate one that I had to look at is...

Addictive personality - This one probably goes without saying. For some of us, we know limits and know how and where to keep our addictive personality from being too dangerous (like alcohol, drugs, etc). Others don't and smoking is nothing but one of the long list of addictions they need help with. I have an addictive personality, it was a hard hard thing to come to terms with. Which is why a flip flop on smoking can be difficult, because once you start up again, its just in your nature to power through and keep doing it. Of all the things my addictive personality is attuned towards, smoking is probably the one that offers the most options. I'm actually glad vaping exists because I'd rather be a vape addict than the alternative. There aren't many options for adrenaline junkies with a penchant towards combat zones. You get the idea. When I find something I like, whether harmful or not, my very personality compels me to stay at it.

Really great info, and I see a lot of points that you hit right on the head, as well Jman8. Really great insight!

Reactions: Jman8

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
I did start out with the pen like 510s, small carto, up graded to ego, then a V.V. box mod, tube V.V. mod, Then a V.V./ V.W . Every time I get back into vaping, there's all these new gadgets, and I get swept into it, I just recently purchased the MVP 2.o not even knowing that the 3.0 was already out, and my go to still is my mini lavatank v1 with the mini nautilus

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
If you dont mind me asking, which juice finally got you to kick the habit? Was it a tobacco based flavor or fruit/dessert/etc.? I couldnt really kick my analogue habit until I got away from tobacco based flavors and into fruit/dessert flavors. Not really sure why, it doesnt make a lot of sense looking at it, but that is the way it happened with me.

I don't mind you asking at all :)

Yes, it was fruit/dessert flavours that helped me move on from smoking. Even when I was flip-flopping it was fruit flavours (mainly a rhubarb - sherbert lemon blend), it was only when I moved on to custards/creams that I managed to enjoy vaping more.
I am not sure what it was, but the fruit flavours alone did not satisfy me as much as the creams/custards did/do. Then again outside of vaping I would much rather eat a cheesecake than an apple, and we all know that strawberries are brought to the next level by adding cream (or at least black pepper).

I guess when we start with tobacco flavours we are trying to emulate having a cigarette, but quickly realize that without the tar, nitrosamines, carcenogens etc that it is a totally different experience and not as pleasant a taste (for most) as fruits/desserts etc.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I don't mind you asking at all :)

Yes, it was fruit/dessert flavours that helped me move on from smoking. Even when I was flip-flopping it was fruit flavours (mainly a rhubarb - sherbert lemon blend), it was only when I moved on to custards/creams that I managed to enjoy vaping more.
I am not sure what it was, but the fruit flavours alone did not satisfy me as much as the creams/custards did/do. Then again outside of vaping I would much rather eat a cheesecake than an apple, and we all know that strawberries are brought to the next level by adding cream (or at least black pepper).

I guess when we start with tobacco flavours we are trying to emulate having a cigarette, but quickly realize that without the tar, nitrosamines, carcenogens etc that it is a totally different experience and not as pleasant a taste (for most) as fruits/desserts etc.

I loved the Virginia I used at first, because it tasted SO MUCH like my cigarettes, though better obviously; sometimes I'd take a puff here at the desk and then think, oh no, I'm indoors! Then: but it's not smoke, so I'm ALLOWED to do this indoors! :D

I only lost my taste for it when I tasted Blueberry Muffin as a vape; till then, I hadn't really "gotten" sweet-flavored vapes at all. For a while I switched between then, but it was sorta like when I was dual-using at first: the more I vaped the sweet, the worse the tobacco tasted. But I actually quit smoking the first time using nothing but Virginia, so I have to respectfully disagree with all those who say "you can't make the full switch if you're vaping tobacco flavors." Sure you can. If you want to. If you find the way to make it work for you -- and certainly, "the way to make it work" for some people, is to get away from the tobacco flavor. But not everyone.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread