Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
Has anyone that has a BF had it stop feeding? I suppose it's gunked up in there somewhere.... even when I quonk hard (tried on 2 different REOs) I get just a small sputtering of juice coming out. I tried soaking it in hot water, but that didn't help. Could it be something other than a blockage?

OK, well this was weird. After soaking it again and no luck, I decided to poke inside the connector end with a piece of kanthal. To my surprise, a plug of cotton came out of the feed hole on the deck side.. a pretty big piece. Clean white. I'm scratching my head. Hopefully that wasn't supposed to be there. I pulled it out with tweezers and now the juice is flowing again.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
Yea the only time I can't squonk is when my bottle suction is off. A quick unscrew rescrew fixes it. There should be no cotton down your squonk holes brah...sans cotton...sans...

Yeah trust me, I checked the tubes, bottles, checked on more than one REO, etc. I am perplexed by the whole thing. My only though is that maybe somehow some errant cotton got sucked down the hole with excess juice. It was kind of a lot though, relatively speaking.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Yeah trust me, I checked the tubes, bottles, checked on more than one REO, etc. I am perplexed by the whole thing. My only though is that maybe somehow some errant cotton got sucked down the hole with excess juice. It was kind of a lot though, relatively speaking.
YES, I have seen it happen under magnification. Rayon hairs or most wick hairs are so fine when they are saturated. When juice is squonked up it causes the bottle to create the suction to suck it back down through the atty back into the bottle. Any wick hairs near the squonk hole easily get sucked back down along with the excess juice. I make sure my wick ends are not close enough to the squonk holes to get sucked back down. If wick gets in there it will also slow or stop the juice return completely. I usually hold my see through reo to the light and look at the tubing to make sure juice is returning to my bottle after a squonking for this very reason. Good post.

Last edited:

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Another way to avoid wick in your squonk hole is to thoroughly clean your mod and atty. superXdrifter did a great video on cleaning a REO Grand LP. I suggest looking it up. I also force hot water through my Odin to make sure there are no obstructions. A good cleaning will enable your equipment to fire perfectly all the time. I basically take a mouth full of hotish water, create a seal around the top of my Odin and force the water through the atty.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
Ya know, I usually clean everything nearly daily, sometimes more than once day, in an ultrasonic cleaner. I change flavors and rewick a lot and clean every time I change. Perhaps not coincidently, my cleaner died a week ago so I've just been cleaning under the tap with a tooth brush the past week. Just bought a new cleaner on prime!

Usually I fill my squonk bottle with hot water to flush the tubes, but I guess i don't usually do that with an atty on - good thought.

Last edited:

OthatGuy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2014
Westcoast
Anyone running ni200 coils in their odins? I'm not getting the flavor I should or of it, prolly bc the ni200 coils are so big they are obstructing the air flow. .
0fa4e566775f06c833c601089730ad63.jpg

This is 30ga kanthal and 30ga ni200 twisted. Temp control is working fine.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I was fortunate enough to get in on the last run - BF 378. I have experimented for a about a week. First there was a successful build of dual coils. I made a coil, mounted it and measured the resistance on a meter, noted the resistance then mounted the next coil and since the total was one-half the original resistance I assumed the build was equal and correct. I also tried measuring the size of the coils with calipers; that also gave me a correct build with the advantage that it was correctable before mounting.
I decided to go with a lower resistance, I generally use 1.8 - 2.2 Ohms. I went down to 0.9 just because SXD goes low, I wasn't sure about this but he is generally correct. I understand the lower resistance now. I like the lower resistance. I am very glad that I bought the Odin, it is well worth the money. I found it easy to build with 70 year old eyes and hands. It has great flavor and vapor. I have moved the RM2 to the side and just use the Odin.
I made the switch to Japanese cotton pads. They are expensive but when you prepare the pad, a lot of wicks will come out of one pad. The wicking is superior. Again, SXD is correct, I did need to mix a new batch of juice. The nicotine hit was too high at 18mg, like my resistance, I dropped it in half.
SXD - excellent advice; Loki Lab - excellent product!
:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread