• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The purpose of trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
It has been a long time since I have come to share. I have been going through many trials since losing my job, home, brother and mother. I would like to share a reminder we have from God from my personal studies and hope that you are lifted up, especially if you have had difficult times recently, but to all of us who share a blessed and precious faith in our Lord and Saviour. God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Good news for those who don't know, and a comforting reminder for those who do.

The purpose of trials; faith must be proven to be genuine, and it comes with reward!
From 1 Peter 1:1-2
(To those...) who are chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, (as evidenced in you) by the sanctifying work (purified unto holiness) of the Spirit, (for the purpose to bring us) to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood (salvation): May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

From 1 Peter 1:3-7
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again “to” (for the purpose of) a “living hope” (from Greek, translates to “anticipation filled with pleasure and expectation of eternal life) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 (in order) to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, (which is) reserved in heaven (and waiting) for you (true believers),
5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for (the purpose of) a salvation ready (and waiting) to be revealed in the last time (at the coming return of Jesus).
6 In this (precious promised salvation) you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, (We have great expectation for the fulfillment of our salvation even though we endure much tribulation)
7 (The reason we go through these trials is) so that the proof of your faith, (which is) more precious than purified gold, (that your faith being proven to be genuine) may be found to result in (us receiving from Jesus) praise and glory and honor at the revelation (or revealing/return) of Jesus Christ;

We go through trials so that our faith can be tested and proven to be genuine. The outcome of our faith being proven as genuine will result in us receiving praise, glory and honor from Jesus at His return. The Greek parsing reveals that we are passive recipients of these things. In some English Bible versions, it is easy to miss this and conclude that our faith praises, glorifies and honors Jesus, and though it does indeed, that is not what the Bible reveals in this verse. Some versions that show this understanding better than others, "Good News Translation, Complete Jewish Bible, Amplified. Versions easy to miss this as they say something similar to , "may result in praise" praise, glory, honor... NASB, KJV, ESV, NIV. Looking to the original languages are often the only way to understand subtle differences in meanings and understandings.

Interesting the order that Peter by the Holy Spirit wrote these three things:
Praise: What praise do we as children of God long to hear? “Well done my good and faithful servant!”
Glory: What promise of glory do we wait for fulfillment of? The Glorification of our physical bodies!
Honor: What honor has Jesus promised to those who endure? To sit with Him in His throne as He Himself is sitting with the Father in His throne!

8 and though you have not seen Him (God), you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 obtaining as the outcome of (the proving of) your faith, the salvation of your souls.

From 1 Peter 1:13-16
13 Therefore (Considering the weight and understanding gleaned from verses 1 through 9), prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace (that is) to be brought to you at the revelation (revealing/return) of Jesus Christ.
14 (Be) As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, (because now you know better)
15 but (instead be) like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior;
16 because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY."

The word “holy” (“hagios” in Greek) in verses 13-16 when referring to us means “pertaining to being dedicated, consecrated or set apart to the service of God. It does not mean we are or will be perfect and sinless as John states, “If you say you are without sin you are a liar and the truth is not in you.” We are to strive to be set apart for God, no matter how many mistakes we make.

We have hope for salvation. (Not hope as in, “I hope I get picked”, but hope as in, “I have been picked, I long and desire to receive the prize.”) Because we have hope, we endure trials knowing that through them our faith is proven as genuine and it results in great reward. Because of that blessed hope, we are to be set apart for God while we are still here on earth and not drawn back into the lusts of the world that ensnare those who are lost, and walk and live as examples and ambassadors of Jesus Christ; fueled by the hope that is within us.

Last edited:

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Wow! What an awesome post! Thank you for sharing that!! I know how difficult it is to have your faith tested by fiery trials. I almost lost my own faith during my battles with cancer. But Praise God, I wouldn't be who I am in Christ today without going through those trials.

I think there is a misconception that becoming a Christian means easy street for the rest of your earthly life. Not so. But we, as His children, have His Blessed assurance that He is with us always! There is nothing on earth better than that! Our lives here are just a short time compared to all eternity. Like my sig line says in Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Amen!!

BTW, its great to see you back!!

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
BTW, its great to see you back!!
Thank you T. You know I Like taking Rom 8:18, and quoting 1 Cor 2:9 behind it. (I don't think it ruins the context of what God is saying at all)
Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
1 Cor 2:9 (For) "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived the glorious riches that God has prepared for those who love him."

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
The fact that God's children are experiencing trials just proves that lucifer and his 1/3 of the angelic realm (demons) know that their time is coming soon. Also, another fact is that lucifer only has 1/3 of the realm and 2/3's stayed with God.......this shows we have the majority of help.

Sometimes we forget all of the weapons that are available to us as heirs to the throne. As I have experienced, we get hit so hard that we forget to pray.....#1 weapon. It's important to remember to ask others for prayer. When we feel defeated and deflated, we need our true prayer warriors sending up those prayers for us.

eHuman, I truly understand how overwhelming it can all be. There are times we just want to yell 'STOP.' And the people who say, "Well, you know that God doesn't put more on you than you can stand," are the ones you want to punch! But, you can't because you are a Christian. I am so very sorry for your loss, and am so glad you went to God's Word to get answers. We all need to follow that example. I pray I am that smart the next time I feel like I'm drowning. God Bless to you.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Great post e! One of the things I have been trying to teach our son, who has had more than his share of trials since birth, has been that trials are our anvil and hammer that God uses to forge our character in Him. As he grows older, I see that character growing in him. Trials are sooo hard and we seem soooo alone in them. But God is there building us up.

Our small group just read Leap Over A Wall by Eugene Peterson. I was surprised I enjoyed completely since it was the first thing I've read of his other than The Message translation, which I don't care for (no offense meant to those who like it!). It focuses on David, his life and trials. David, a man after God's own heart had to live for years on the run, in the desert. David who was hunted and still found compassion because of the Lord. David who said "Lord, you should see the house I will build for you" only to have God say "No, look at the house I will build for you!" David, who sinned a sin which cost him his son's life, got up and praised God when it was over.

You said it so well "Because we have hope, we endure trials knowing that through them our faith is proven as genuine and it results in great reward. Because of that blessed hope, we are to be set apart for God" Our reward is in heaven and all of life trials will fade away to joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread