The Swich From Silica to Cotton, What Did You Notice / Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com

crg31953

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Mayville, WI
Crg31953,
Depending on what you have that coil in, you should be able to bump to like 10-12 watts with it and get more vapor and better flavor. That's assuming you have your quick right. Not too much and not to little. You could go 15 easy with that coil and not burn but I think you'll find 10-12 will probably give you the best flavor depending on juice.

I personally like 50/50 most of the time. Gives a good balancein my opinion.

And yes, if I get a happy coil it will usually stay in place for a month or two at least. I just dry burn it when I re wick just to make sure it still looks happy. Otherwise it should be fine!

Thank for the suggestion! I'm running it at 12 watts and it is excellent!

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
I can run tank after tank after tank this way with no problem at all... When I finally do change the wick the coil is still pretty clean and while there is some darkening around the wick it's NOTHING like it was with silica. It's really just that, a darkening of it. Next time I do a wick swap I'll have to try to take some pics and see if I can post them up. My coil in my kfl has seen heavy use lately (i've been using it every day pretty hard) and is probably a week old at the moment... So I'll see if I can re-wick it soon.

As promised, here are some pics from when i re wicked this morning. This coil had been in this kfl for at least a week with fairly heavy use. I'd say at about 25ml was run through it. The juice was a slight Carmel color, but not quite as dark the wick, so there was some darkening of it. But you can see it's still pretty clean and the taste had not been effected at all.

fa64d760c578d894f299f166fc9101b5.jpg

Here is the same coil after I re wicked. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the cotton is actually just slightly smaller going through the coil, it's not just compressed because of the coil. Also note the tails lay on the ledge but do not even come close to covering the juice ducts. This coil is over a month old. It's still clean and fires great, but the two edge wraps are starting to pull away from the coil. That usually happens when pulling the old wick out. I don't touch the coil after the initial burn off, so next time I'll probably just replace it.

334c24ffde66547a61c137850d4a6157.jpg

2bc36dac1a2a3d8db97b6b2a374e827c.jpg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I went from silica to ekowool then to cotton in a very short time. I used the cotton builds for a while before I got hold of some Hemp Fiber and the hemp outperforms, outlasts and is more durable than the cotton. I've been using hemp for the last 10 months on my protank builds and been a happy vaper.
Cellucotton then came into the picture so with all the raves and hype I bought myself a 500' box out of Sallys, rewicked my protank sat down and did some vaping. The cellucotton did have no breakin taste which is nice, vaped a tank and it still was a nice vape. I filled the tank again, got through bout half and then I was loosing vapor production and having to pull harder to get a good vape. Removed the cellucotton from the coil, not burnt and still in good shape replaced it with another piece and began vaping again, same scenario of it beginning to get hard to pull and loss of vapor. Tried it in a different head with different resistance, same thing.
I guinea pig'd my wife with a cellucotton head in her protank without telling her, she came downstairs later in the day and told me its hard to draw.
I'm not sure why the cellucotton performed badly just for me or in a protank build since everybody else is raving on how great it is. I reverted back to the hemp fiber and now have 499 feet of cellucotton I'll never use.
I rebuild standard protank heads with 6 wrap 30 gauge spaced coils so nothing fancy.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
No preference for me really.. Flavorwise and vaperwise it all depends on the juice.. Im still using the 7 coils my Evod kit came with, and I rewick with cotton when the silica wicks need to be replaced because theres a whole bag of it in the bathroom so its free hehe. Im still using the same cotton ball I started with like a week or two ago as well.. Some juices seemed to come alive with cotton but Ive had others that were just meh with it and tasted awesome and vaped like crazy with a brand new silica wick..

I do notice Im going through juice quicker using cotton though.. Regardless of the flavor/vapor tradeoff..

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I went from silica to ekowool then to cotton in a very short time. I used the cotton builds for a while before I got hold of some Hemp Fiber and the hemp outperforms, outlasts and is more durable than the cotton. I've been using hemp for the last 10 months on my protank builds and been a happy vaper.

Cellucotton then came into the picture so with all the raves and hype I bought myself a 500' box out of Sallys, rewicked my protank sat down and did some vaping. The cellucotton did have no breakin taste which is nice, vaped a tank and it still was a nice vape. I filled the tank again, got through bout half and then I was loosing vapor production and having to pull harder to get a good vape. Removed the cellucotton from the coil, not burnt and still in good shape replaced it with another piece and began vaping again, same scenario of it beginning to get hard to pull and loss of vapor. Tried it in a different head with different resistance, same thing.

I guinea pig'd my wife with a cellucotton head in her protank without telling her, she came downstairs later in the day and told me its hard to draw.

I'm not sure why the cellucotton performed badly just for me or in a protank build since everybody else is raving on how great it is. I reverted back to the hemp fiber and now have 499 feet of cellucotton I'll never use.

I rebuild standard protank heads with 6 wrap 30 gauge spaced coils so nothing fancy.

maybe a tad too much cellucotton used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread