Thoughts on my first Bottom Feeder: Reo/RM2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
I imagine there are others like myself who have been vaping for a quite a while yet have not tried a bottom feeder mod, so I thought I’d post my impressions of my first bottom feeder mod the Reo Grand with the Reomizer (RM2) rebuildable atomizer. The reason why I (and I imagine there are others) had not tried bottom feeders despite all the positive reviews is that it requires significant investment in purchasing a PV/atomizer/rba etc which are not compatible/interchangeable with any of the tube style PV’s /atomizers/rba’s etc. already purchased, and the purchase of a quality bottom feeder such as the Reo complete with requisite hardware is not cheap. Sure, you can purchase an inexpensive bottom feeder and atomizer to see if you will like it, but if others are anything like me, I prefer to purchase quality hardware, rather than purchasing cheap equipment which doesn’t perform properly giving me an incorrect evaluation of the product type. Hence my late entrance into bottom feeders.

I am not trying to produce a ‘review’ here, as there are so many reviews on the Reo’s/RM2’s already, I am simply providing some thoughts that might help anyone considering the purchase of a Reo/Reomizer or similar bottom feeder mod and wondering whether its worth the stretch or not.

The main reason for my purchase of the Reo was that I wanted a reliable mechanical device devoid of any wires, and the Reo Grand provided this adding the ease of use which a bottom feeder provides. The Reo Grand is simply that; a reliable, bullet-proof mechanical mod, which works flawlessly. It is simple to use, feels incredibly comfortable in the hand, and provides the most convenient method of delivering liquid to the atomizer that I have used to date. The only draw back I have noticed is the need to change both bottle and wick in order to change flavors where with a tube mod a simple atomizer change would be all that is necessary … hence I now understand one of the reasons why Reo users tend to have multiple Reo’s and that is no doubt to simplify vaping of different juices. That being said, once the bottle and wick have been changed there is nothing more to do but vape. The bottom feeder experience really is as so many others have described it … the preferred way to vape.

The Reomizer rba produces amazing flavor in all of the e-juices I have tried. Compared with the Kayfun Lite for example the flavor increase using the RM2 is considerable. I don’t have a lot of experience with dripping rba’s (eBaron Dripper Pro looks to be a future purchase – and now I guess a Spiral but that’s not really a dripper), I have used them but not any of the more expensive models … but I imagine a good quality dripper to produce similar results in flavor as the RM2 of course without the ease of use that comes with the bottom feeder.

One of the things that concerned me about the purchase of the Reo Grand is the lack of variable voltage. Although I could have purchased the VV Reo Grand this would have negated one of my primary reasons for purchasing the Grand which was a pure mechanical mod devoid of wires providing a reliable long term ‘backup’ device (investment if you will) that I could rely on should my Provari ever require repairs. I have not found the lack of variable voltage to be an issue at all so far. I was quite concerned that the lack of variable voltage would render the device useless. This has not been the case at all and the only time I have missed the ability to adjust the voltage was when I was suffering with a sore throat for a few days and the Reo/RM2 continued to hit so hard I had to use the Provari so I could lower the voltage which in this case didn’t really help anyway. In any case simply adjusting the coil to lower the power is all that is needed.

I must say that I am absolutely thrilled with this new device. The combination of Reo/RM2 works flawlessly and has instantly become my PV/rba of choice. Having everything (juice and mod) in one package is simply works wonderfully for me and the flavor produced by the RM2 is amazing.

So, the bottom line is if you’re on the fence as I was for so long considering purchasing a bottom feeder I would say that a bottom feeder mod is absolutely the way to go. The Reo line is as so many have stated on these forums an excellent product and the Reomizer rba simply works superbly! The Reo/RM2 combination is so good I’m already considering purchasing another!

Hope this helps someone.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
Great review and I pretty much agree with everything - only exception being that I often change flavors without re-wicking. Put in a new bottle, squonk and go - the flavors will mix for a few hits, but then you're onto the new flavor (unless you were vaping something really strong like menthol, Pluid, etc. before the change).

I originally thought the Reo would be a good, reliable backup to my ProVari also. Now the Reo Grand/RM2 is my device of choice and the ProVari is the backup. I still like the ProVari for what it is and have no intention of getting rid of it, but I get a better vape from the Reo/RM2. I've also become fond of the box mod form factor and now it feels rather awkward sucking on a tube mod.

EleanorR said:
My only hesitation now (apart from cost) is that I do NOT wish to have to rebuild my coils. Is there a way to avoid that with the REO?
Sure there is...use regular 510 attys with it. There are several people in the REOSmods sub-forum who do exactly that because they don't want to deal with rebuilding.

Last edited:

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
Thank you!!!!

I was just now asking questions about the REO; it's as if you read my mind!!

My only hesitation now (apart from cost) is that I do NOT wish to have to rebuild my coils. :( Is there a way to avoid that with the REO?

Yes, absolutely. You can purchase a number of atomizers from Reosmods website or there are lots of bottom feeder atomizers available such as the popular Cisco HH 357 available from Avid Vapers.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Thank you!!!!

I was just now asking questions about the REO; it's as if you read my mind!!

My only hesitation now (apart from cost) is that I do NOT wish to have to rebuild my coils. :( Is there a way to avoid that with the REO?

You can use atty, cartos or the shorty cartos.

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
Great review and I pretty much agree with everything - only exception being that I often change flavors without re-wicking. Put in a new bottle, squonk and go - the flavors will mix for a few hits, but then you're onto the new flavor (unless you were vaping something really strong like menthol, Pluid, etc. before the change).

I originally thought the Reo would be a good, reliable backup to my ProVari also. Now the Reo Grand/RM2 is my device of choice and the ProVari is the backup. I still like the ProVari for what it is and have no intention of getting rid of it, but I get a better vape from the Reo/RM2. I've also become fond of the box mod form factor and now it feels rather awkward sucking on a tube mod.

Sure there is...use regular 510 attys with it. There are several people in the REOSmods sub-forum who do exactly that because they don't want to deal with rebuilding.

Thanks! I guess I'm a little of a purist when it comes to my juices. My concern is that simply changing the bottle will contaminate the juice as once 'squonked' some of the previous liquid from the wick is bound to leak off of the wick into the new juice. With some juices this is not a problem but with other juices a 'single drop' can influence the flavor of the juice significantly. :)

You are not alone about your Provari taking a back seat to the Reo. Many others have stated their love of the Reo's overshadowing their Provari.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Enjoyed your not-review. I do understand not wanting to build your own coils ER. Much of the information we see is issues peeps have with a bunch of rebuildable attys and tanks. I can assure you, after spending a couple of years rebuilding lots of things, there is nothing simpler than making a coil for an RM2. And unlike other RBA/RDA it is very hard to do a build on an RM2 that will short. I started REOs in late 2010 after a week of cigalike and dripping on attys on eGo batteries. After getting my first REOs, I did do a lot of playing around with modding syringes with CE2 parts, etc., before tanks available and other mods, and purchased several tube mods, high end to low, including Provari and GGTS, and various tanks and carto tanks. They just had too much fiddle factor and leaking and many difficult to build and maintain. The Provari and GGTS were just too big and heavy for my preference and life style. Hardly anything of quality will carry easily in my women's clothing pockets, if one should be lucky enough to have any pockets, but a REO. Add to that my rough and tumble environment and lifestyle.... and very frequent "swims" into various waters, sometimes not so clean, and REO is the only mod that can survive. How many mods will you let "swim" and vape moments after rescuing them? How many mods can you clean by running under hot tap water? And I happen to love the looks of the REOs and how they feel in hand.

Many REO users were perfectly happy, for years, until the RBAs started appearing using purchased attys and cartos and many still don't use RBAs. I have Hornets, ERA, Killers, eBaron Spiral, macARB, A7s, Mini A7s, Vision Eternity, and a few clones. Nothing gives as much satisfaction as the RM2, is as easy to build, and is the least likely to short. Leaks are rare and most usually user error but there is a huge community of REO users to gladly help you out, most usually minutes after you post a request for help. And the creator and maker of REOs, Robert, is very active on the REO Forum, readily available, almost round the clock, phone, email, PM, and he's the best customer service I've ever experienced.

If one happens to not like the REO, after giving it a good try, they sell quickly on Classies, for little loss in investment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread