Tobacco extract flavouring: Whats it got in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
I notice some e-juice makers use tobacco extract made using ethanol.

What in theory would that have in it? WTAs? linalool? Carcinogens?

For example, it appears that both linalool and anabasine are alcohol soluble. Some other tobacco compounds may or may not be.

What would be the difference between an extracted tobacco flavouring, and a WTA e-liquid? (if anyone knows the process of the later)

I know this a bit of a complex question, and maybe it cant be answered!

Very curious though..

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
WTAs have to be added, you don't get them from extraction. Any carcinogens will be negligible. There will be a little nicotine, but just enough that it can't be advertised as 0 nic. The vast majority of the "bad stuff" in cigarettes is added to the tobacco. Tobacco is just a plant, while cigarettes are a carefully engineered masterpiece of addiction.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
^ Fair point about the engineering. I know that for a fact, i used to work for a ciggerette company, they add loads of crap. (No idea why no one has ever regulated that)

However, I am not convinced about the carcinogens or the wta's. Most alkaloids are alcohol soluble, so any ethanol extraction will include some level of the whole alkaloid profile (although perhaps low levels). A breif google reveals that anabasine has reasonable ethanol solubility (one of the wta's). I would guess that all the wta's, like the vast majority of alkaloids would have some ethanol solubility. This is most of the reason why this is the most common potent form of extract in herbalism.

As for the carcinogens, I do understand that much of these are due to combustion, but some of them exist chemically in tobacco, and some of those will probably be alcohol soluble. All substances are soluble either in polar or non-polar solvents, and thus have either some or low solubility in ethanol.

Obviously this will still be vastly superior to analogues in this respect due to no added chemicals and lack of combustion, and whatever water soluble components are not taken up.

I am speculating based on my knowledge of chemistry, but it would seem likely to me that any tobacco extract performed traditionally with ethanol (or co2, or whatever) would contain some of the bioactive ingredients - I am just not sure exactly what, and at what quantity.

My experience with solvents shows that different substances will soak up to some solvents better or worse, beyond there polarity, so while I suspect that an ethanol extract would take up alot of the bioactive agents, without some complex research its rather hard to figure out the how much, and of what.

Also, alot of these substances, such as the carcinogens in tobacco, do not have published solubilities you can find easily on the net.

Perhaps then, an easier to ask question, that might elucidate the issue is -

Has anyone found superior subjective satisfaction, or "calming" or "physical pleasure" using an organic tobacco extract or flavouring versus a synthetic flavouring? (Or any other subjective difference in "feel")

Of course the difference between WTA liquids and regular ones some people find hard to place and describe, and given this would probably be less concentrated, they might not notice such a difference if it exists, but this question might get to the heart of the issue quicker than a complex review of the components of tobacco and their respective solubilities.

Last edited:

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Thought I would post a reply since there seems to be a misunderstanding about WTA. The process for WTA is similar to standard nic extraction except there is fine tuning which I can't delve into due to TOS on ECF. There are several threads that discuss this here on ECF.

Tobacco Extract is basically the essence or flavor from tobacco. Very little nicotine or other alkaloids is present in Tobacco Extract.

WTA is a matrix of Alkaloids which also include nicotine, and several minor alkaloids. Nicotine is the major component of WTA. When they extract Nicotine they also extract these minor alkaloids as a byproduct. It takes some refining but some nicotine extractions then purify the alkaloid Nicotine and clear out the rest.

I highly doubt you will get any "calming effects" from tobacco extract essence since there are very little or psychoactive compounds.

Lastly, the carcinogens which are a concern when discussing tobacco products are TSNA's (Tobacco Specific Nitrosamines). TSNA's may occur during the curing process. They are present in almost every tobacco product including the patch, and eliquid. However these levels in eliquid and with NRT products are very low.

Nitrosamines are also present in other compounds including a meat, fish and beer. They develop under certain conditions such as high temps (ie. grill or barbi) and or with the use of nitrite preservatives.

I would suggest to read up on DVAP and his research posted here on ECF when it comes to understanding the process. It is not for the faint at heart and should not be attempted without extensive knowledge in the lab and in the field.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for your reply :)

Nicotine itself seems to have quite a low solubility from what I have read, is quite hard to extract using a variety of solvents (probably moreso than some of the other non-nicotine alkaloids). As i understand it, nicotine alone is a complex extraction, multi-step.

I certainly doubted that an ethanol extract would be as potent as in WTA extractions, after all if it were that simple, people would have been doing this instead of wta e-liquids for a long time!

But it still seems possible, that some, less subjectively significant non-nicotine alkaloids may end up in the extraction (for example the one I mentioned, and the bioactive terpene, have some moderate level of solubility).

Diluted in the base, as a flavour, this is may be still more insignificant, and those particular psychoactives, may not contribute much to the analogue effect anyway.

Tobacco extract, according to what I understand is not just flavouring though, any more than any other ethanol extraction is just flavouring. For example a concentrated vanilla essence is an effective pesticide for certain species. A frankincese essence can create opiate effects. Almost every plant has a myriad of bioactive compounds, and usually some of these compounds are in the ethanol extraction.

I have done this kind of simple extraction myself many times, also acetone extractions.

Just as some background on my quick googling on the subject:

N ′-Nitrosoanatabine (NAT) (A Tobacco Specific Nitrosamine) - According to this - Soluble in chloroform, ethanol and methanol.

http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol89/mono89-7A.pdf

Anabasine - ethanol: soluble50 mg/mL

(±)-Anabasine ≥90% (TLC), liquid | Sigma-Aldrich

Linalool (the potent CNS relaxant terpene found in tobacco, ........., and the principle active ingredient of lavender)-

"As an aliphatic long-chain alcohol, linalool is clearly soluble in most solvents, including mineral oil. It has high solubility in diluted alcohols."

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...17GstQ1na_9I3kZlA&sig2=xkr-AP8CfpkC_I7LTZ3Y0g

I dont think anabasine has a great solubility (I am no chemist), but it has some (better than in water).

Linalool should have a great solubility in ethanol, and while its not an alkaloid (its a terpene), it is psychoactive.

In fact it may be the most potent CNS depressant known to man, although it usually occurs naturally in very low doses, in things like the apparently unmentionable green herb, lavender and tobacco.

Terpenes are a large part of what gives things a taste and smell (along with flavanoids). Linalool itself, which I have smelled pure, has a spicy, floral note (even the smell of linalool has cns effects which have been measured in studies)

This is all just from my quick googling. Havent really done any deep research on the matter yet. And worth noting that tobacco essences are then further diluted in an e-liquid, whether the present bioactives would be subjectively noticable or not, its all about concentration as well.

I once was working on some extractions, where I was using acetone. Acetone solved on of the ingredients but not another similar compound. Ethanol would extract both. Just an example of how individual and case by case, solvents can be (starting to wish I had formal chemist training for this conversation!)

You can get nitrosamines from cooking bacon. I find it hard to beleive that the majority of the carcinogenicity of tobacco is from a group of compounds similar to what you get from flash frying bacon - but I guess its all in the dose, and exposure.

Again, not my expertise. I understand genotoxicity, and how that produces lung cancer, but not the specific carcinogens of tobacco. however, wiki provides this list:

List of cigarette smoke carcinogens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One small example of an additional carcinogen, is the naturally occuring cadmium in the leaves of the tobacco plant. Admitedly, probably alot of that list is combustion products, some of them may be added by big tobacco. Fortunately cadmium is water soluble :p

Anyway thanks for the discourse. Re wtas: Actually youve sparked my academic curiosity, re dvap. I may check that out. Be interesting to see how it works, seeing as I do use WTAs somewhat (not to try it, just to understand it. Be interesting to know the concentrations and purity it produces).

But more than about the wtas, I mostly wanted to know, if anyone knew, which of the bioactive compounds entered into a ethanol tobacco extraction in significant quantities

(ie what compounds in tobacco are easily ethanol soluble).

Given the flavour is diluted, and the effect may not be subjectively apparent to most (or to anyone) even at full strength, I guess this is more down to my own personal interest. I do not expect that such an extract will substitute for wta's, I only wish to know what is actually in such an extraction.

But given that every plant is made from thousands of chemicals, all of which have different solubilities in ethanol, the question admitedly, may be difficult to answer accurately or completely.

Its a shame, it seems initially at least, like there arent many amateur chemists in the online vaping scene. [edited by admin to remove unnecessary drug reference]

Probably a good thing - Harder to gather information perhaps, but at least we dont have people vapourising pure single chemical isolates, just to see what they do! :p

[comment by admin - This has been moved to the extraction forum for just this reason. ]

Last edited:

Varrius

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Houston, TX
Drael, I had the same train of thought as you. I figured that some of the bad stuff has to be extracted when doing a natural tobacco extract. However, I don't really care so much. I don't plan on vaping forever, I'm using it as a way to get off tobacco and quit alltogether, hopefully. If I do end up vaping long term, perhaps I'll try to get away from the tobacco vapes so I don't have to worry about this stuff.

I'd be willing to bet that big tobacco knows exactly what you get when you extract tobacco, but I don't know that we'll get that info out of them. Perhaps we could get lucky and have a BT chemist come to our forums and let us know. Otherwise we are looking at a fairly complex problem, requiring expensive lab equipment to figure out what exactly is in a tobacco extract.

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Drael,

first off if you are going to experiment with this you better be equipped well for handling any of these toxic substances. What experience do you have with chemistry? Since you claim you have no formal training I suggest reading up and maybe even consulting with someone that does have the necessary knowledge.

Even with fume hoods, protective gear and you would still need to use extreme caution when handling nic, or WTA.

This might not be the best section to pose these questions. I suggest you take these questions and read up on all these questions which were asked dozens of times before in the threads listed below.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...aois-towards-more-effective-e-liquid-174.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/44958-so-we-getting-we-not-nicotine.html

Due to TOS on ECF I can not discuss anything else here.

I will say your last statement scares me and its the last thing Ecigs need. I'm sorry but we don't need someone to haphazardly vape some substance and end up in the ER or the morgue.

Last edited:

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Drael, I had the same train of thought as you. I figured that some of the bad stuff has to be extracted when doing a natural tobacco extract. However, I don't really care so much. I don't plan on vaping forever, I'm using it as a way to get off tobacco and quit alltogether, hopefully. If I do end up vaping long term, perhaps I'll try to get away from the tobacco vapes so I don't have to worry about this stuff.

I'd be willing to bet that big tobacco knows exactly what you get when you extract tobacco, but I don't know that we'll get that info out of them. Perhaps we could get lucky and have a BT chemist come to our forums and let us know. Otherwise we are looking at a fairly complex problem, requiring expensive lab equipment to figure out what exactly is in a tobacco extract.

Absolutely, good honest answer. Yeah I am sure BAT would know exactly whats in a ethanol extraction :p Thats a good way to look at it, if I end up vaping long term also, it may be a good idea to get off the extracts.

Then again, we dont really know the synthetic or organic flavours are 100% safe either, in long term regular consumption, they are just suspected to be safe when used in foods (ie GRAS).

I think the best bet for health, is probably just not to vape forever, and if you do, to switch up what you use as a liquid regularly.

Last edited:

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Drael,

first off if you are going to experiment with this you better be equipped well for handling any of these toxic substances. What experience do you have with chemistry? Since you claim you have no formal training I suggest reading up and maybe even consulting with someone that does have the necessary knowledge.

Even with fume hoods, protective gear and you would still need to use extreme caution when handling nic, or WTA.

This might not be the best section to pose these questions. I suggest you take these questions and read up on all these questions which were asked dozens of times before in the threads listed below.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...aois-towards-more-effective-e-liquid-174.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/44958-so-we-getting-we-not-nicotine.html

Due to TOS on ECF I can not discuss anything else here.

I will say your last statement scares me and its the last thing Ecigs need. I'm sorry but we don't need someone to haphazardly vape some substance and end up in the ER or the morgue.

I dont plan on doing any extraction on tobacco myself. My risk taking days are over. I am merely talking about the pre-existing commercial tobacco extracts used for flavour in commercial e-liquids, and what may or may not be in them. Which it seems, nobody knows the answer to (and would require an expensive chemical analysis to answer in totality, but I was more looking at a rough idea for this questio).

When I speak of extractions I have done, they are on different plants and compounds - in the past. I have absolutely no interest in doing any form of tobacco extraction myself. There are already WTA's available commercially, nicotine extracts and ethanol tobacco extracts.

None of this stuff is stuff I want to play around with

(It might be nice if some company came up with a WTA that included the tobacco terpenes though IMO. A terpene isolate would improve the aroma and flavour, and possibly also the relaxation - and terpenes occur in fruits and other plants. They are very safe, even sometimes healthful, in naturally occuring levels).

If anything its the opposite. I enjoy WTAs and also tobacco extracts for flavour, for getting me off smoking. BUT id like to know whats in them, and at what concentration (perhaps also a "cig equivilant" comparison with the tobacco its derived from), for my peace of mind/health. If I could simply know that, it would help me make more informed, harm minimising choices.

Theres not alot of such information about. Alot of vendors dont even provide info about their flavouring ingedients. Sure they arent compelled to, legally, like with food. But I am more inclined to buy and use something I know more about (personally). Id like to have as informed choice as possible.

As for my last statement, its a good thing people arent doing that. Fortunately tobacco is legal, so if anyone were chasing the tobacco buzz, without concern for their health, theyd simply smoke (unlike the scenario with illegal drugs).

As I say, thats really a good thing, a reflection of the fact the vaping community is a bunch of people concerned about their health and that people who arent, can just smoke (not they they should, but its a good thing that they can, if they choose to, it prevents other difficulties)

But it does mean that people here are finding this question harder to answer, than say, if I asked "whats in an ethanol extraction of the unmentionable green herb" on a drug forum, where some level of lay science is quite common.

I guess I could always brush up my own amateur science academic skills and do some serious research :p Then I could partway answer some of my own question perhaps.

Last edited:

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Moving this thread to the Liquid Extraction From Tobacco forum from General e-liquid discussion because the focus has changed and because it has now crossed into an area that is not appropriate in general discussion of e-liquids.

The science hazards and cautions are not to be taken lightly, please exercise due diligence and consider the consequences carefully.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
I just wanted to know more about the contents of what I vape, if I choose to vape something with tobacco extract in it, from a commercial vendor. (Ie I have no interest in doing extraction)

You could probably close or delete this thread, though, as I dont know if anyone will be able to answer it. I think for now, ill just rely more on the synthetics for that flavourings I vape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread