• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

tonight on kthv 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikaroo

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Arkansas
Ok so kthv basically painted a fairly negative picture of the e-cig. Reported that one costs 140bucks plus 30 bucks for carts. said a cart equals a pack of cigs, repeated some of the ar dept of health position on them and interviewed one 6 month positive user and 3 complete newbs that of course had no clue what they were doing. POO on you channel 11. tsk tsk

jbblack

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Sherwood, AR
Done my civil duty:

jbblack77
2:49 AM on May 15, 2011
While it's nice to see more information on these, I'm afraid that the product may be painted a bit more expensive and scary than it actually is. A starter kit such as the 510 model can be found online as cheaply as $35.00--much cheaper than the $100+ than was mentioned. These can be refilled by any number of e-liquids. In my case, I mix my own, using three basic ingredients: vegetable glycerin (used in cake frosting), bakery-grade food flavorings (usually found in the candy aisle), and nicotine in propylene glycol (the propylene glycol is used in asthma inhalers as an inert carrier AND in fog machines that can be found in most nightclubs). These basic ingredients are the basis for almost ALL domestically-produced e-Liquids (FDA study focused on Chinese-made fluids). With the exception of the nicotine (which I'd otherwise get from cigarettes), the glycerin, food flavorings, and propylene glycol are all on the FDA's Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) list, and contain no carcinogens. On top of this, juice can even be ordered WITHOUT nicotine, which allows the occasional smoker to indulge without any of the ill effects or possible relapses that having a burning cigarette would.

There is no carbon monoxide, no tar, no ashes, no smell (except for a very faint hint of the flavor), no risk to bystanders.

It's also important to remember that the ill effects of e-smoking are next to nothing compared to other forms of nicotine replacement. Patches can cause allergic reactions and irritate the skin. Chantix has a very high risk of causing severe mental imbalances and has been linked to multiple suicides.

E-cigarettes made it very easy for me to kick the filthier habit (even though they're not marketed as a smoking cessation device) and I've not wanted a regular cigarette since my second DAY on them. I've been quit for almost four months now, with no relapse. The only side effect that I've had is slight dry mouth, so I have to drink more water.

nikk4s

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Springdale, Arkansas, United States
My reply

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
Next time you are looking to do an article on ecigarettes, start with the above link. I too started with one of the overpriced mall kiosk type ecigarettes and gave up on it since it was too expensive and not a very good product. Through the e-cigarette forums, I was able to find good suppliers where I bought a good kit for $60. I can get a 1 month supply of ejuice for $15. I actually make my own juice now. I use vegetable glycerin (baking ingredient), propylene glycol (can be found in food flavorings and colorings, lotions, deoderants, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.), and nicotine diluted in a propylene glycol base. I add a variety of food flavorings to this depending on my taste at the time. The FDA was irresponsible in spreading the information on their testing in such a way as to cast a negative light on ecigs. The carcinogens they mention are no more than what are present in their own approved smoking cessation products. The diethylene glycol they found was in trace amounts (parts per billion) and is not regularly used in the ecig industry (fluke). Studies have been done and more are being done at this moment on the effects of ecigarettes. We know exactly what ingredients are in them as vapers the world over are working with the manufacturers to make sure the product is safe. The tobacco and pharmaceutical companies are lobbying our government to keep this product off the market because it is an affordable harm reduction product. It may not be as safe as completely abstaining from all nicotine products, but for many of us, it is by far the best option we have.

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
I actually talked to the guy on the phone. He thought he was pretty thorough on the article and tried to not put e cigs in a negative light, but also highlight negative things about them.

He missed the mark, but the fact he tried to be unbiased says something about him personally.

He did not seem close minded or ignorant.

When I asked him about another segment to change a few details, he said they don't really get to choose what they report on. They are given assignments from above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread