• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Too many issues to do this now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
Have you also tried hoovering the fan on your CPU? I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago and found my CPU looked disgusting! I took the nozzle of a hoover, removed the fan on the CPU and hoovered near the CPU itself. It was amazing! It's helped in the meantime until I can find a clever person who can fit my new fan...the connectors don't match anything I have!!!!

Also, I'm curious...what can't you do right now? I'm lacking the context of your thread and if curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back, revive poor kitty!!!!x

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Have you also tried hoovering the fan on your CPU? I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago and found my CPU looked disgusting! I took the nozzle of a hoover, removed the fan on the CPU and hoovered near the CPU itself. It was amazing! It's helped in the meantime until I can find a clever person who can fit my new fan...the connectors don't match anything I have!!!!

Also, I'm curious...what can't you do right now? I'm lacking the context of your thread and if curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back, revive poor kitty!!!!x

Folding@home is what I am referring to. Running that overheats my cooling fan, and shuts my computer off. I did clean it - didn't help. Not worth fixing at this point, as it's a few years old. Since, I am an online student, any issues with my computer is a bad thing. It's a good cause, but I gotta have priorities.

I have the knowledge to build a new one, but first I gotta find a money tree. :)

Last edited:

Crash158

Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Kentucky
If this is on a windows pc You can use the power options (under control panel) to limit the maximum CPU frequency. My temps dropped nearly 40 degrees F by turning it down. I essentially throttled my 3.0GHz down to 2.3GHz on my AMD. On my Intel I set it to 99% which essentially allows it to run at its rated speed but does not allow it to kick in the Turbo clock.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
If this is on a windows pc You can use the power options (under control panel) to limit the maximum CPU frequency. My temps dropped nearly 40 degrees F by turning it down. I essentially throttled my 3.0GHz down to 2.3GHz on my AMD. On my Intel I set it to 99% which essentially allows it to run at its rated speed but does not allow it to kick in the Turbo clock.

OK, I have to reinstall it to try it again. I have an i7 processor 2.8GHz, Windows 7, and 8GB ram. I had no problem in GPU mode, except for the fan issue. Thank you. :)

Crash158

Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Kentucky
OK, I have to reinstall it to try it again. I have an i7 processor 2.8GHz, Windows 7, and 8GB ram. I had no problem in GPU mode, except for the fan issue. Thank you. :)

A lot of people over look this feature. It is usually unnecessary but the algorithm computing maxes out both my AMD (rated at 62 Degrees C) and my i7(rated at 100 degrees C). Not necessarily a problem except these WU's max them out for a prolonged period. By reducing the frequency you are essentially slowing down the system but (which makes the task take longer) but you are also lower the temperatures. The benefit is that you can restore the maximum potential as needed with one click. I think I might put up a tutorial just to alleviate some fears and potentially draw more people to the cause.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
A lot of people over look this feature. It is usually unnecessary but the algorithm computing maxes out both my AMD (rated at 62 Degrees C) and my i7(rated at 100 degrees C). Not necessarily a problem except these WU's max them out for a prolonged period. By reducing the frequency you are essentially slowing down the system but (which makes the task take longer) but you are also lower the temperatures. The benefit is that you can restore the maximum potential as needed with one click. I think I might put up a tutorial just to alleviate some fears and potentially draw more people to the cause.

I am computer literate, and had a little bit of a hard time figuring it all out. Like, I said, I will play with it more over the weekend. And thank you for your help. :)

Crash158

Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Kentucky
I believe there may be a setting to change how much of your processor or gpu F@H can use. Not sure where though as I'm not very familiar with the windows version. If you lower it by say 25% it should cut your temps down a good bit. Running the cpu / gpu at 100% as opposed to even 90% can really raise the temps a lot.

Good Tip. I went looking and found it under the Advanced Tab.

F@H options.jpg

::EDIT:: After enabling the option, I did not see where this actually reduced the load on my processors for either my AMD or Intel. I still believe creating a Power Plan is the better approach.

Last edited:

b_1620

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Greenville, NC
Good Tip. I went looking and found it under the Advanced Tab.

::EDIT:: After enabling the option, I did not see where this actually reduced the load on my processors for either my AMD or Intel. I still believe creating a Power Plan is the better approach.

That's odd it didn't do anything, did you try restarting the client after changing it?

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
One of the things that was suggested to me when my PC was overheating was to replace the thermal paste on the heatsink. Thermal paste is cheap but the heat sink can be difficult to get out on some PCs, like mine. I have the thermal paste but can't get the brackets to release the heatsink. I've ordered new brackets so I can break the existing ones to get the heatsink off. Haven't done this yet as my PC seems to be running cooler since uninstalling a bunch of unused programs and doing a system cleanup and defrag. I was getting the blue screen but it seems to be fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread