top-coils vs bottom-coils... Same QC issues in stock heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi all,
Just wondering if there's much difference between the two in terms of how it works out of the box. Given the less-than-stellar performance of my bottom coil heads on different rigs (just an ego and a spinner so far, waiting on my taste vw), would I have much more luck with a top coil clearomizer with the long wicks, or are they just as much a craps-shoot?

tia

bogmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Top coil clearomizers are just as bad, if not worse. (imo)

For clearomizers I prefer the Mini Protank with the airflow holes drilled out to 1/16, and then rebuilding the coil to around 1.2-1.4 ohm. It preforms pretty good then...

Thanks, Exile
I'm not too keen on trying to get into making my own. I've a bit of a tremor that would make building a real PITA.
I suppose I could dose up on a bunch of beta-blockers and try and crank out a whack of them...or I could try switching to cartridges... ;)

cheers.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Lots of people swear by DCT's. Maybe you could try one of those?

I have a Ce4 and an Iclear 30 and I hate both of them (though lots of people like the Iclears). I prefer a cooler vape and love my BCC's. I have a couple of Evods, Mini Protank2 and I just picked up a 3.5 ml hypertank clone from a local B&M. All of them perform terrific!

What kind of BCC's have you tried?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
You got to learn some simple DIY of the heads, no matter where they came from. Open up and look inside to what is there vs what it should look like. I was repairing my CE4 top coil wicks and it changed my vape quality and now I rebuild all my own heads and not bother using the stock wraped heads. Get anything pointy and realign the wraps so they are even, lift up the coil inside the head a bit incase the legs are bent and give you a metallic hit. Many just stick the head into the atty, start vaping and then complain the heads are crap. I've opened up stock CE4's and protank heads to find the coil wraps are just a lump on one side waiting to give me a nasty throat ripping hit. Learning the proper way to dryburn your coils will make them last longer but rebuilding is the only way to go if you intend on being a happy vaper.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I have used both top and bottom coils and the best stock heads for me are the Kanger T2 top coils at 2.2 ohms on a 3.7 volt device. Good life (3+weeks), rarely leaks, but a little tricky to rebuild compared to CE4 or bottom coil heads. Kanger's stock bottom coils have run too harsh for me, but with a rebuild can work well, at lower voltages than a comparable resistance top coil.

bogmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Lots of people swear by DCT's. Maybe you could try one of those?

I have a Ce4 and an Iclear 30 and I hate both of them (though lots of people like the Iclears). I prefer a cooler vape and love my BCC's. I have a couple of Evods, Mini Protank2 and I just picked up a 3.5 ml hypertank clone from a local B&M. All of them perform terrific!

What kind of BCC's have you tried?

Sorry, what's a DCT?

I've a mini protank II v2, and a couple of the Aspire CE-5s (I think? aluminum jacket over a PC "tank"). Heads have been dual coils 1.8 thru 2.5. I've been using the non-var 650 mah ego clone batteries I got with my starter kit, and recently picked up a spinner which has helped a bit with some of the heads. Getting an iTaste VV3 v3 as soon as Canada Post deems me worthy. Maybe the vw will help some more; I spend a lot of time going up and down with the spinner on a single tank/head.

I've no complaints about the toppers themselves, though the pro tank was a bit airy until I plugged a hole and changed my puffing style, but the heads themselves are a complete gamble. I get days out of them, maybe as little as 2 before the flavour goes south.

I've done the maintenance - soak, rinse, burn - and that'll get me a couple more days. My liquids are all 70/30 and none of them are particularly thick or sweet.
I'll see what I can do with looking at the coil spacing (should they be tight, loose, or just consistent?), but like I said, with the way my hands shake at times, wrapping coils and fitting wicks and assembling everything "just so" isn't a real option. But at what point did it become wrong-headed to expect things to work consistently and reliably out of the box? I understand the joy of tinkering and making improvements to a product, but I don't buy a car so i can learn how to build an alternator.... Sorry, for the old man rant

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Head function and personal experience seems to be more of a direct result of User interface than QC issues.
Bottom Coils have the advantage hands down in functionality as they are by design submersible. Top coils completely Flood if tipped to long.

It would be near impossible for one person to receive All POOR QC heads and another to only receive GOOD QC Heads.

For those unable to find proper function it BCC units, Top coils may be their only solution. Sadly there are those that never get satisfactory function from a top coil unit.

After using some Brand/form of almost all delivery types, I can confirm (in my opinion) Only the Nano Clearomizers have serious QC issues as a specific design. After testing 10 units I found 3 to work excellent, 6 total to work acceptably, 3 kept getting dry hits no matter how much priming was done and 1 literally had no air flow, even off a device.
Even this was most likely due to the small design and limited space in which to place a hidden Bottom coil and wick.

Generally QC issues are Manufacturer specific.
Defective product will get through any production. The % is a direct reflection of QC measures taken.
Batches are normally sampled and only a number of items within the batch. The manufacturer that samples higher numbers of batches and samples in a given period and acts to take corrective measures gains the most trust and consumer support.

Unfortunately NONE of these manufacturers can make the Human interface function properly. This task is up to each individual.

Now, each of us must explore and find things in life that work for us. No need to keep saying (X) is total garbage if someone else is loving their experience. This can only be quantified by (IMHO) and is simply a personal Rant.(which we all need from time to time)

Here is to hoping everyone finds their sweet Device and succeeds!
Vape on and enjoy:vapor:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
If your after major hassles, frustration and agravation then get into the carto's and DCT's(dual coil tanks). I thought they were the cats azz when I read the reviews on them but after trying them out fighting with the flooding and gurgling I have them sitting in the drawer vowed never to use again. The single coil protank1, 2 and mini are the way to go. They are simple to DIY, lots of information on fixing them in youtube and I will be using them until there is new technology comes around but I don't see that happening in the near future. I stayed away from the dual coil attys, some say they are great but kanger has trouble building a single coil head thats reliable let alone a dual coil and as far as I know you can't rebuild the PT3 heads.
Another thing that is just my opnion is that ego batteries don't have the knards to fire dual coils properly so you end up with a half burnt vape. I run my homebuilt dual coil side by side 1.6 ohm protank heads at 4.8 -5.0 volts and thats more power required than a ego can give.

bogmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
So, dual-coil vs single coil (BDCs or cartridges) then.... with the batteries I have, am I better off with a single coil? Do I have a power issue? My spinner and incoming vv3 top out at 5v
I'm not looking for big clouds of vapour; I'm focused on the taste right now. From what I understand, the 70/30 mix I use right now isn't a big vapour producer anyhow.

What are the merits of single over double? Or is that a topic for a separate thread altogether?

Thanks for the info so far, folks. 'ppreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread