• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Trading standards ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshimi

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Costa Rica
please excuse the cryptic nature of this post, I need to make sure I don't get my "source" in trouble.

My source works at a major UK retailer, with a lot of contacts in trading standards. They got onto the subject of e-ciggs and the trading standards person said that TS were planning to ban their sale in the UK due to the dangers of nicotine. (not the full story but I can't really give any more detail)

The source is well placed and their contact is likley to be too, so this was enough to worry me. However I know that a number of people in the UK have been working with TS to make sure juice is regulated and that we have a safe product, so I figured someoen here was likely to have more information.

So, anyone have any info on this so that I can stop worrying?

frogbmth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Dorset, UK
www.jantyclub.com
Trading Standards have been looking at e-liquid under the poisons act. At current strength levels and packaged in line with the regulations there is no issue at present. However I also know that there is a big testing program going on of both liquids and hardware so there is likely to be more rumbling.

I see it as a good thing that currently only Trading Standards are looking at sales regulation as, even in the unlikely event of them banning sale, we could still import stuff for personal use just as we do with snus presently.

yoshimi

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Costa Rica
The person I spoke to had spoken to trading standards directly and specifically about ecigs, if it was anyone else I would have dismissed it as them getting confused with the FDA position (which has happened a few times), but this was very specific. It could have been related to a specific brand now that I think about it though, without this person realising.

I'm glad TS are making sure we have a safe product in the UK, and did think to myslef "if it's true ecf will know"

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
I don't care how high up your 'source' is, it's obviously someone with delusions of grandeur or a vivid imagination. Trading Standards concern themselves with the safety, packaging and selling of many products, not what can be sold in this case. The MHRA regulates on nicotine products including NRT and the liquids used in electronic cigarettes. We deal regularly with both agencies and I even spent an afternoon training TS Senior Officers in the many aspects of electronic cigarettes. If any government agency was to ban them in the UK they would face a long line of serious lawsuits regarding freedom of choice which would probably be decided by the European Court Of Human Rights and which would almost definitely result in a government loss as civil rights are big with the ECHR. There is now enough evidence and momentum for us to move forward, which does mean regulation to ensure that we all meet the safest possible standards. Many operations will fail to meet those standards and will become registered suppliers for bigger companies. Some will just go belly up as we have seen this week with The Electronic Cigarette Company in the U.S. TECC is the sister company of Totally Wicked and for them to fold shows just how difficult it is to stay in business.
John.

yoshimi

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Costa Rica
I don't care how high up your 'source' is, it's obviously someone with delusions of grandeur or a vivid imagination.

While i think this is a bit harsh, and doubt the person I spoke to was trying to do anything other than be helpful to me based on something she had directly been told by someone in trading standards, thank you for your answer. I wanted some reassurance that either the people she was speaking to in TS were misinformed, or that she had misunderstood, and knew many suppliers were dealing with TS, so posted here. So despite your very strong reaction, thank you for the info.

notdurrr

Dec 15, 2009
England
Shining Wilt is pretty bang on. TS might create a campaign to highlight the dangers of e-cigs, announce they are investigating some companies and maybe even bust a company for bad advertising but that really is as far as their powers allow them to go. One area they can attack is the e-cig itself, but then they would really have to prove it wasn't fit for purpose and did not carry the correct paper work. I reckon all that would happen in the long run is the hardware reliability and safety would improve a little.

MHRA can deal with the juice, but in reality their own powers are more aimed at the distributors rather than the users. The problem the MHRA have is nic liquid itself is not banned it is regulated. A few years ago the MHRA allowed the sale of nicotine products over the counter. They would have to come up with some pretty specific regulations if they were to actually ban e-cig fluid sales over the counter whist allowing joe public to be able to buy nicotine in other forms. The MHRA was formed in 2003, and it basically handed control of our meds to big pharma, and they do not do much else apart from monitor and report. As far as they are concerned its not their job to act as a police organisation. They are just there to tick boxes and sign forms for big pharma so they can sell meds.

The 1971 misuse of drugs act makes no mention of tobacco or nicotine, basically the cops ain't interested in anything unless they can connect it with class B or preferably a class A substance. Even if it is in the medicines act, or makes its way to class C, the cops will not show much interest in the user because both of these offences when tied to personal use are not worth pursuing, and the worst that happens is a removal of the product. Of course, they could make it hell for UK suppliers, but you would be pretty safe to import for personal use.

Lots of people import medicines that are regulated by MHRA, even generic medicines and nothing happens to them, no one is interested unless it is in the misuse of drugs act. And I doubt very very much if this stuff will ever end up in that legislation.

googled

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
ukvapers.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread