Transitioning from chew to vaping, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragikk

Jan 23, 2014
pa
Hi, my name is Chris. I've been chewing tobacco for 1.5 yr and decided it's time to quit for multiple reasons. I'm new to the world of nicotine vaping but have been vaping other herbs for years. I used to smoke cigs when I was younger and decided to quit cold turkey 4 years ago and have stayed away from them since. I'm not really in the position to quit cold turkey this time so I feel like vaping is the best way to go. I need some advice on some options to look for. I'm rather health conscious(yes, i know dipping isn't healthy) and would like to make this transition as healthy as possible. I do plan on making this a slow transition to the point of eventually quitting everything. For that reason I'd need a setup that I could useut ejuice(100% VG is what my research has told me is the healthiest option). I'd prefer something rather sturdy and tough. I'd prefer something smaller setup but size isn't a huge criteria of mine. I'd like to healthiest setup in terms of electronics and batteries and would prefer to have as little plastic,glues/etc. as possible in the components. My biggest criteria that I'm looking for is an extremely smooth hit. Since I don't smoke, i don't need a strong throat hit and would prefer the vapor to be as smooth and cool as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated as being a novice on a new journey is never easy. Thank you for your time.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I suggest starting with 50% propylene glycol and 50% vegetable glycerin. Vaping 100% vg takes some know how and tinkering to dial in.

I suggest the itaste mvp2 or vv3 kits to start with. After you get use to the physics of vaping, then you can look into protanks or rebuildables. Some people vape 100% vg with cartomizer tanks, but I never had great luck with them on thick liquids.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I am very happy with a small ego style battery (EVOD starter kit) and have recently purchased a protank II mini (glass tank, no glue). It works fantastic!
Go with 50/50 pg/vg to start and low nic for a smother hit with low leak issues and less chance of burnt hits.
Jmho anyway

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
I suggest starting with 50% propylene glycol and 50% vegetable glycerin. Vaping 100% vg takes some know how and tinkering to dial in.

I suggest the itaste mvp2 or vv3 kits to start with. After you get use to the physics of vaping, then you can look into protanks or rebuildables. Some people vape 100% vg with cartomizer tanks, but I never had great luck with them on thick liquids.
I agree with suspect. Also know that you are not required to totally inhale the vapor in order to get nicotine delivery. you can simply hold it in your mouth and the nic will be delivered to your system. I was a smoker and a dipper at the same time. If I wasn't smoking I was chewing. So for me it's all about the nicotine. I get all the nicotine I could ever want by just simply vaping. I no longer smoke or chew.

Grimstone

Jan 23, 2014
Oregon, USA
I'm with you bud. I chewed for damn near 20 years and it is a flat out ..... to quit. However, vaping has kept me away from it for 3 months now. Maybe even 4. Haven't really been keeping track of when I started. BUT. I advise that if you're going to start vaping buy two tanks (or atomizers as they're called) just in case something goes horribly wrong. I broke my first rig at a friends house because I dropped it on the concrete and the glass part of my atomizer cracked. My buddy chewed and I bummed off of him until I left his house. Now as far as the rig and ejuice ratios and all that stuff goes it's really a trial and error thing. You can't expect you're ejuice guy to just know what you're going to like. i.e., flavors and how strong of a throat hit you want. And if you're just starting out a good rig is a simple protank II and an e-go. That's how I started and these things haven't failed me yet.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I suggest what Grimstone said with the addition of starting with a variable voltage ego battery. Propylene Glycol is listed as being a safe ingredient for human consumption, but like ANYTHING, people can be allergic to it. It does have it's downside in the fact that it is "hygroscopic" means it will absorb liquid,and dry your throat out, so you will want to drink water. That is it's main drawback. If you are allergic, then you should switch to a pure VG liquid.

The only reason I advise against starting pure VG, is VG is very thick, similar consistency as corn oil. Because of that, it has a harder time "wicking" or getting to the heating coil. Most people who vape pure VG opt to thin it out with water or vodka, but those may affect the flavor a bit, however VG does not carry the flavor like PG does. You might want to do some research into that as well.

I suggested you go with a variable voltage ego battery, is you can control how much vapor comes out. If you opt to go with a pure VG mixture, you can vary the voltage depending on how fast your juice is wicking. If you have it too high, you will get great vapor and flavor, but the wick will go dry faster, and a dry burn does not taste good. You have the option to turn it down in order to match how fast your ejuice is wicking (albeit with less vapor production). in either case, the option is there instead of sticking with whatever the battery gives you.

The reason I suggest a protank, is they have a glass version and not much (if any?) glue to it. to match your ego battery, they have a mini protank, which will look nice on your EGO battery and is fairly compact size overall.

Good luck on your journey. I hope everything works out well. and welcome to the forums. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread