Travel and Vaping Travel Tips - Dominican Republic - Customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

craw169

May 7, 2016
Yeah a list of friendly countries would be awesome. It would be great if there was somewhere where people could post recent experiences since things seem to change.

I found that link too after I got home. I could swear it wasn't there before. It is dated 2010. My spanish is non existent but I don't think it mentions ecigs. I think rechargeable batteries are there though.

I had an ecig with me 2 times before in Punta Cana and didn't have trouble. My stuff got taken in Samana (much smaller airport) but googling around I see people have been having trouble in punta cana too lately.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
(this april 30) they confiscated $300 worth of gear from me (my ecig and my wife's) at Samana airport.

very sorry to hear this happened to you, it makes you feel awful upset having your private property taken away like that.

Guess it's time to start a list of ecig-friendly countries :(

I did see this by Rolygate but is not up to date although may still be helpful.
Electronic Cigarettes – Global Legal Status -- 2
afraid that list might be becoming quite short in the near future.

I know it sucks but I honestly think a cheap ego is the best travel vape unless in the US or Europe or a known region that you confirm prior to travel.

Last edited:

memeticengineone

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2016
Would you recommend drinking some of the booze and recorking it to prevent this?

Just like others have said, they wanted your stuff. I'm from Puerto Rico, and when I was in college another Puerto Rican friend was coming back from PR from break and was bringing a few liquor bottles. They were all brand new and sealed and prepped just like needed, as he flies a lot and has friends who's parents have high up positions in the airport. Security harassed him and wouldn't let him through with it, so he walked the liquor bottles to the trash and dropped them in heavily so the bottles would break, as he knew they simply wanted it for themselves.

That's a great trick there, thanks for letting us know about it. The trick about carrying proof of being able to bring it with you is great.

When I flew from Puerto Rico to the Dominican Republic last week (19 June 16), went through US customs and TSA - no problem. However, returning today from the Dominican Republic (DR) - security confiscated my MVP and clearomizer. They said that electronic cigarettes were not allow to be on a plane leaving the DR. When I asked the supervisor to define electronic cigarette - he couldn't or wouldn't give me an answer. I told him that I did not have an electronic cigarette because I did not have any cigarette substances in my vape. My device does not have any nicotine - just menthol for my aroma therapy. And that the battery was just that, a battery. I showed him the USB port and the output switch that I used to charge my cell phone - which also had a battery in it. I did tell him that if he wanted to confiscate the clearomizer, I would not have a problem with that - they can keep the 3 mils of the menthol only juice. But he would not budge so - he kept everything. I really wanted to break it so no one else could use it - but he wouldn't let me - so I accused him of stealing from me without proper authority. My wife grabbed my arm and said to leave quickly before I was thrown in jail. So I would say - if you want or must go to the DR take the cheapest disposable vape gear with you - knowing that you won't be able to leave the country with it. Don't plan on buying it there - it's way too expensive.

MelissaKey

Dec 30, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread