Upgrade from my smoktech sid

Status
Not open for further replies.

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
I'm wondering what would be a good cost effective upgrade from my sid. I really like vv/vw devices. They're nice and consistent. I also always carry a flashlight with me that holds a panasonic 3400mah 18650. It would be nice to have a device that would fit that battery for when the vtc5 dies on me. I like to vape my areotake with 2 ohm coils at 9w. So its not like I'm asking that much from the mod or battery to begin with.

Just looking for something reliable.

HighPlains

Dec 31, 2013
Indianapolis
I have six different AVPs including the SID, SVD, Vamo V5s,Kamry 200, and Kmax. Of the one's I have owned I like the Vamo V5 the best. I have one of the older V5's and also the newer edition which is a nice improvement. I've had the first V5 almost a year and it is still vaping like a beast and never had any problems whatsoever. Picked it up at Fasttech.com for about $28 for the stainless steel version. The SVD is good too for about $10 more but there has been issues with the fire button on mine and apparently others.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I have a SID also.

If using that NCR18650B battery is a priority, then stick with another 15w, regulated mod like a Vamo or a Zmax. Keep in mind that in these applications, the panny batt is running at the ragged edge of it's ratings and not really a great battery for the application.

I retired my SID when I got a 30w Hana. It is now relegated to the "spare mod drawer". I don't miss it.

The clone Hana's are now cheap at $50 and are a huge step up in performance compared to the SID. The panny 3400mAh battery will not power the DNA30 chipset however.

monkey39

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Texas
I have a SID also.

If using that NCR18650B battery is a priority, then stick with another 15w, regulated mod like a Vamo or a Zmax. Keep in mind that in these applications, the panny batt is running at the ragged edge of it's ratings and not really a great battery for the application.

I retired my SID when I got a 30w Hana. It is now relegated to the "spare mod drawer". I don't miss it.

The clone Hana's are now cheap at $50 and are a huge step up in performance compared to the SID. The panny 3400mAh battery will not power the DNA30 chipset however.

Yep, for a DNA 30 you want a battery that has a minimum 10amp continuous draw; 20amps would probably be better, just to be safe, if you plan to sub ohm at all. I had a Vamo V5 that I used with those Panasonics. Worked really well, got a good 1.5 to 2 days of use on one charge. Mainly used clearos at that time, though.

monkey39

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Texas
FYI - I just got an Eleaf iStick in today - works pretty well, but only have a few hours of use on it. It's a 20w device at a reasonable price, but kinda small.

20140922_221110.jpg

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
I have a SID also.

How won't it? Shouldn't pull that much unless you ask it to.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
How won't it? Shouldn't pull that much unless you ask it to.

Well, it may boot the DNA30 chipset up and allow you to use the device for a bit.

But, I also have a few thoughts as to why anyone would desire a 6.8A battery in a device that can draw 12A.

!.) The NCR18650B is not a high drain battery. The DNA 30 needs a High drain battery. Why? A high drain battery will exhibit much less voltage sag under use.

2.)Why should you care if you are only going to use a DNA30 device @ low wattage settings?
As your battery voltage drops in use, the chip is going to use more current to provide the wattage you have the device set to. This will draw more amperage from your battery as it depletes. So you may start out demanding 5A from that battery when it is at 4.2v, when the battery is depleted to 3.6v, you are going to be asking for more amperage than that battery can provide.

The NCR18650B seems like it has a lot of capacity. It does technically but not for high drain aplications . In fact, fully half of it's rated amp-hours are provided between 3.4 and 2.5v when used with a 5A discharge.

I know for a fact that my Hana DNA30 device will start rebooting and not functioning properly when my battery is at 3.5v. It will not take a NCR18650B long to reach that voltage.

Have a look at this discharge test @ 5A:
Test of Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh (Green)

Now check the same discharge time for the Sony VTC5:
Test of Sony US18650VTC5 2600mAh (Green)

Note how much longer that puny 2600 mAh sony stays in a usable power range of 4.2 to 3.5v when discharged at 5A.

Hours instead of minutes!

So i guess if you really want a 30w device but are only going to ever use it at it's lowest settings then yes, That panasonic will power the chip, barley, and not as long as it's 3400mAh rating suggests it will.

I have to ask however, why would you buy a 30w device, put a battery with half the maximum continuous amp rating in it and then only use that device at it's lowest setting?

Why not buy another SID?

Bottom line is the NCR18650B is an OUTSTANDING flashlight battery. It is not a great personal vaporizer battery and will not provide its rated amp hour capacity in this application.

I have used the NCR18650B in my SID. It worked ok. I have also used a NCR18650PF in my SID. It powered it for just as long as a NCR18650B. Low, Steady drain is the NCR18650B's forte. Not high power pulse applications like a personal Vaporizer.

The 18650B does power my Cree LM-6 based flashlight for an incredible amount of time however.

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread