Upgraded version of the UD AGI with updated spring and post (NO VOLTAGE DROPS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Japan
If anyone is looking to buy the UD AGI I would suggest buying it from here http://nolavpen.com/products/rebuildable-atomizer-agi-rba or on ebay from a seller named sweetexpress-2013. He sells the AGI with an upgraded post and spring. Im not sure what type of metal the spring I think its either brass or copper. The upgraded spring and post results in no voltage drops and better performance. Here are pictures.

Here is a pic of the stock spring that comes with the UD AGI. Ive only used this spring twice and as you can see it already started burning the spring which results to voltage drops.
LoGCFwS.jpg

Here is the upgraded gold spring
xxxK3Fb.jpg

The upgraded post is 4-5mm longer than the stock post. (shorter spring+longer post=better performance)
6nduPwJ.jpg

The upgraded spring and post does not change the way the ud agi looks in anyway only increases the performance. :2cool:
qSFG9ME.jpg

Hope this thread helps and keep on vaping :vapor:

Grizzie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Japan
Seems kinda stupid when they could just remove the spring altogether.
I agree with you. They could of done a better job and not made the post with a spring but oh well its a really simple fix. All you need is a better spring or tube to replace the crappy spring they give you and its perfect.

bebeau25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
Tulsa OK
Cool. I use silica in mine. I don't get much of a drop. Looks like I'm going to the hardware store if that really works.

It works great. I went to the hardware store and bought some brass tubing, removed the spring, and cut the tubing to fit. It performs very well. I actually like it more than my rsst. The brass tubing came in a pack of 3 one foot pieces and was only like $2. :)

the4thpower3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
Northern Virginia
I don't understand why they didn't just use removable sold rod to begin with. Both my stock springs fried with 1.0ohm coils.
I took a regular clicky bic pen apart looking for a replacement spring when I thought that the ball point pen tip might work.
It was a bit of a pain to get all the ink out and I had to cut the tip in half - but it works perfectly :)
I was too lazy to go looking at the hardware store for something that might work.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I agree with you. They could of done a better job and not made the post with a spring but oh well its a really simple fix. All you need is a better spring or tube to replace the crappy spring they give you and its perfect.

I think the reason they used a spring is to reduce the level of precision needed when manufacturing the rest of the atty.

The deck of the AGI screws down and stops when it's tight against the top of the tank glass. If they used a solid post, every single glass used would have to be pretty much exactly the same size (down to a pretty fine tolerance) in order to avoid the pin not matching up perfectly with the deck.

With the spring the tank glass can vary by a pretty decent amount and the device still functions.

I personally find it to be a bad design. Not only the way they chose to interface the deck with the center pin, but also because it applies a lot of pressure to the tank glass. I accidentally over tightened the top deck (was trying to spin the cap not the whole deck) and chipped a few bits of glass off the edge of the tank.

So is the AGI in the link an actual update from UD or is this a third party install as far as the spring is concerned? I bought my AGI about a month ago, and the spring looks like the "good' one in the OP. I'm been using .7 - .8 coils this whole time and performance matches my other gennys, and my spring is still bright shiny gold colored not burned like all the ones that I've seen from other people with the spring problems.

I was thinking maybe UD had actually changed the spring or something.

Grizzie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Japan
I think the reason they used a spring is to reduce the level of precision needed when manufacturing the rest of the atty.

The deck of the AGI screws down and stops when it's tight against the top of the tank glass. If they used a solid post, every single glass used would have to be pretty much exactly the same size (down to a pretty fine tolerance) in order to avoid the pin not matching up perfectly with the deck.

With the spring the tank glass can vary by a pretty decent amount and the device still functions.

I personally find it to be a bad design. Not only the way they chose to interface the deck with the center pin, but also because it applies a lot of pressure to the tank glass. I accidentally over tightened the top deck (was trying to spin the cap not the whole deck) and chipped a few bits of glass off the edge of the tank.

So is the AGI in the link an actual update from UD or is this a third party install as far as the spring is concerned? I bought my AGI about a month ago, and the spring looks like the "good' one in the OP. I'm been using .7 - .8 coils this whole time and performance matches my other gennys, and my spring is still bright shiny gold colored not burned like all the ones that I've seen from other people with the spring problems.

I was thinking maybe UD had actually changed the spring or something.
Mine came with the orginal spring in the little packet and the orginal post was already on the agi. The gold spring and new post came in a separate packaging and i dont think it was made by the makers of the us agi. Im thinking you got your from a seller that just added the gold spring luckily. All the other ud agi's just comes with the basic spring.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Mine came with the orginal spring in the little packet and the orginal post was already on the agi. The gold spring and new post came in a separate packaging and i dont think it was made by the makers of the us agi. Im thinking you got your from a seller that just added the gold spring luckily. All the other ud agi's just comes with the basic spring.

That was my suspicion. I purchased it at a local shop, and when bringing up the spring issue with the (very knowledgeable) staff, they surprisingly said they hadn't heard of it. While this could just be them avoiding admitting to problems with some products they sell, the fact that it does have a good spring should be a selling point, not something to hide. I guess it's possible that THEIR supplier included the better spring and they were unaware.

One other possibility I was thinking, is that variances in the length of the tank glass could cause some to have this problem, and others not. If the tank glass was short enough, you could screw the deck down until the spring is totally compressed and basically acts as a solid, hollow, rod. With longer tank glass, the spring wouldn't be as compressed, and the current wouldn't be able to bypass all the loops in the spring. I'm not sure how much the glass varies, but I know that it does by a decent amount (or I just got lucky/unlucky with replacement tank glass)

Either way I'm happy. :)

Last edited:

Incubusfc

Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Wa
I just got mine today + I'm having a helluva time with the spring. I'll have to see if there's something that I can do to completely remedy it.

Maybe if I were to drill and tap the bottom post, then have the top post be threaded. Then when you put the glass together you screw in the top post from the top as a final step. Then build coil. It would be a solid piece, instead of a spring that gets smashed, burnt, screwed up.

Incubusfc

Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Wa
So, I ended up burning my first spring from the get-go, just by messing around with the parts.

I was watching some YouTube, and one person recommended replacing the spring with a very small copper pipe. He didn't have access to that, so he used a small tube. This made a lightbulb go off in my head. Why not use a .... splice connector for wires??

So I ran to my electrical drawer in the garage and found a red .... splice connector. One that is not shielded. In the video, the guy said that his tube was about 10.5mm long. I figured that if my .... splice was a hair longer, it would get press fit over the pin. Then my brain started to turn more.... If a (hollow) spring gives a voltage drop, why won't a hollow tube? So I saw something else in the drawer - A male pin. This is basically a pin with a hollow part that the wire goes into. I grabbed a red one, and it fit super snug over the rod of the AGI. BINGO!

I will post pictures, and also resistance readings soon. I'm really happy with this fix. I'll also try to find a place where you can find these pins online too so you can fix yours that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread