Uwell Caliburn-Why did they choose Direct Voltage Output?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hoping those in the know could help me understand why uwell chose "Direct Voltage Output" in the new Caliburn vs "Constant Voltage Output". I see most/many Pod systems use "Constant", and curious if maybe using "Direct" allows the auto fire to ramp up quicker, or some other benefit, possibly overall battery longevity? The Caliburn is also on the pricier end for a Pod device, is it a bit more expensive to go that route? Had me scratching my head when I saw that on the spec sheet.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Bumping this thread before it gets lost. Personally, I don't know the difference between "constant" vs "direct" voltage output.

Me neither. But I figure at the coil resistance and amount of power it puts out, the difference would be marginal.

I figure it would be like putting high end racing brakes vs sports car brakes on your Honda Civic when you're only driving in 25mph residential zones -- you're going too slow for it to matter.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Direct would he the equivalent of an unregulated mod. A mech with safety features. As you use the device the voltage will fall as you consume the battery charge. A constant voltage is like a regulated mod, a set wattage is applied to the pod coil. When the battery can no longer supply the required current a cutoff voltage of whatever they chose (3.2V is common but with pods and the battery selections they make we really don't know unless it's in the specs provided) it simply stops firing. One gradually drops the vapor temp and production (direct mech like) and one is constant until you hit the wall and it's discharged.

Now why they chose "direct" I have no idea (in regular mods it would be considered bypass mode).

Reactions: Baditude

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
ow why they chose "direct" I have no idea (in regular mods it would be considered bypass mode).
It's cheap. There's only one high-powered component needed: A single MOSFET. You add a super-simple little micro-controller to monitor the voltage drop across the MOSFET when it's on to give you over-current / short circuit protection. It can also monitor battery voltage to give you a low-voltage cut-off and you're done.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's cheap. There's only one high-powered component needed: A single MOSFET. You add a super-simple little micro-controller to monitor the voltage drop across the MOSFET when it's on to give you over-current / short circuit protection. It can also monitor battery voltage to give you a low-voltage cut-off and you're done.

Point taken.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Although 'constant voltage' should give a set voltage throughout the battery drain the reality is somewhat hit and miss. It really depends on what the 'constant voltage' is claimed to be - if it's over the actual battery voltage then, in my experience, it still drops off as the battery discharges. Especially on cheaper devices.
Constant output may also require a higher cut-off voltage giving less vape time.

Rossum hit the nail on the head though - direct output - 'it's cheap'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread