Vamo V6 Mod issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanzza

Jul 21, 2015
Hi there, I´m into my 3rd month free from analogs and after the 'ego' phase I started to upgrade my gear and some doubts start to happen when leaping into new diy grounds.

Maybe this is not a very good issue for a new members section but here it goes:

I'm have a Vamo v6 pcb chip ordered by mistake laying around and decided to build myself a mod. Just bought this case USB Power Bank 3X 18650 Battery Charger Box w LED Light for Cell Phone iPod MP3 | eBay and
have a momentary 12mm button from a coffe machine that will work nicely but need some tips on a couple of issues:

I don't feel comfortable to solder on the small button leads, any tips on what to use to make them work? Somebody mentioned that rivet heads would be a good thing to work with as an extension... But how?

Also, how can I fix the pcb to the case safely? Make some hot glue mess to give some height an then fix it there with more hot glue(is it safe)? It has no mounting points, after all it's designed to slide into a tube!

Any tips will be welcome. Or maybe I'll end up just attaching the 12mm button, throw the pcb inside the case and deal with opening the cover everytime I need some other buttons clicked.

OfTheBrave

Jul 13, 2015
Are you trying to build a box mod out of the power bank?
Seems like a lot of work, especially if you aren't keen on soldering.

I would browse some electronics websites and maybe you could find some fittings to secure your circuit board, but I've looked inside many a box mod and it sometimes seems the hot glue is the only thing holding it all together!

Vanzza

Jul 21, 2015
Hi OfTheBrave.
Yes, the idea is build a mod from the power bank I've seen it done with a DNA chip, in this forum I believe (search for arlo dual). But I didn't quite get how the pcb was fixed and the thread was closed.
Somebody did it with a Vamo but used the little spherical soldered small buttons that I want to avoid and is also not clear how to fix the pcb.
It's not that I have big issues with soldering but I would really like to find a non solder solution for the small buttons for the sake of simplicity and one less opportunity to burn the chip :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'd use a piece of pvc plumbing tube.
use parts from rivets for the small buttons.
use a semi circular longitudinally cut piece of pvc to go inside the main pvc tube to hold the pcb in place just as in regular vamos.

Once you have the pcb board mounted in the pvc tube, you then take the pvc tube as a module and work that into your box.

An alternative to using the pvc tube would be to use a tube from a mech mod; but I'd go with the pvc first just because it's easier to work with.

Vanzza

Jul 21, 2015
It's done!

Didn't went quite as expected mainly due to lack of skill but good enough for a first time.
I went for the easier to do / harder to operate approach - only the big bad fire button on the outside, and if necessary open the case to fiddle with theoptions.
The problem with this is that the artist broke all small case supports (see the electrical tape holding it) and of course the big cover had one support half broken also, so I'm still figuring out how to fix it because lt will brake sooner or later and the cover will come loose.

Any ideas on how to fix the case cover will be welcome!

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    288 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    239.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    231.3 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.