Vandy Vape Berserker 1.5 MTL Problems and Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday evening I built a Ni80 contact coil around 1.1 ohms, and I don't know if I nailed the wicking or exactly what happened, but its now Monday morning, and I'm on the same cotton after 3 or so refills with the same e-liquid. Maybe I had just been misusing the device (mod).

Flavour is great, and only slight discoloration with the e-liquid. So... I don't know what happened, but I'll take it!

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
Friday evening I built a Ni80 contact coil around 1.1 ohms, and I don't know if I nailed the wicking or exactly what happened, but its now Monday morning, and I'm on the same cotton after 3 or so refills with the same e-liquid. Maybe I had just been misusing the device (mod).

Flavour is great, and only slight discoloration with the e-liquid. So... I don't know what happened, but I'll take it!
I noticed less dark backwash into the tank when I wicked my coil looser. I think I had too much cotton goin' thru the coil and it was actually choking the wick, so any darkened liquid just to the right and left of the coil was going back into the tank instead of making it to the center of the wick where the coil is.

Maybe you used less cotton?

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
That’s entirely possible. I’m super new at wrapping and wicking and really just going off of info from this forum and the plethora of YouTube videos I’ve watched.

In all honesty, you’re probably right, and it makes sense too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to wick tight, but that isn't the way to go. I was getting muted flavor for a while and never really noticed until I used less cotton.

I should include though, that the couple tanks I've worked with have tiny decks, the Smok Spirals tank and the Berserker.

The Spirals deck is horrible. The screws won't even catch 2 strands of 26ga SS twisted. It's a shame because beside the deck screws, the tank is awesome.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I had the battery out of the iPV D2 last night to charge it, popped it back in after it was done and thought nothing of it. Took my first hit off of it this morning and got a seriously nasty burnt hit from the BSKR. Looking at the screen it was somehow in TC mode and set to 50J... :eek:

I vape the 28ga coil in it at 20W so locked in the TC power level to 20J in case that ever happens again. :lol:
A quick rewick at the shop and all is good again.

f5d472ac07fd09d6ff7379f13ac07ca7.jpg

Ni 80 10-11 wraps at around 1.2 ohms on pico, and a much lighter wicking. We’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I'm pulling this from the rotation. Not only is the draw too tight for me, but the flavor fell off very quickly and I began getting what tasted like burnt hits--which was strange, because the tails looked good in situ and when I pulled the wick even the bit that had been in the coil was fine. Since I don't like the draw, I'm not going to bother trying to figure out what the problem was. I do wonder, though, whether it occurred because I was sucking so hard trying to get a satisfying hit. I was vaping at only 8.5W, but maybe I was pulling air over the coil so forcefully that the juice was scorching? I don't know, and, as I said, I'm not going to waste any time investigating, because this just isn't the atty for me.

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
I'm pulling this from the rotation. Not only is the draw too tight for me, but the flavor fell off very quickly and I began getting what tasted like burnt hits--which was strange, because the tails looked good in situ and when I pulled the wick even the bit that had been in the coil was fine. Since I don't like the draw, I'm not going to bother trying to figure out what the problem was. I do wonder, though, whether it occurred because I was sucking so hard trying to get a satisfying hit. I was vaping at only 8.5W, but maybe I was pulling air over the coil so forcefully that the juice was scorching? I don't know, and, as I said, I'm not going to waste any time investigating, because this just isn't the atty for me.
The draw is too tight for you with the airflow set to the biggest hole?

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ
So my last couple of builds have been producing stinging lava-like vape splatters in my mouth... so painful. The last was 28g ss build at around 1.2 ohms, and the most recent is a Nicrome 80 around the same resistance. The only constant is they were both contact coils. Could that be the culprit? I only vape at around 12-15 watts.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
So my last couple of builds have been producing stinging lava-like vape splatters in my mouth... so painful. The last was 28g ss build at around 1.2 ohms, and the most recent is a Nicrome 80 around the same resistance. The only constant is they were both contact coils. Could that be the culprit? I only vape at around 12-15 watts.

I vape 15W contact coils with no problem, sounds like too little wick in the coil.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Could very well be. I've been playing with that aspect alot lately. First I had too much, and now apparently too little. smh. Its a learning process I guess.
Proper wicking will make or break a good vape, and it's different for every atty. It takes practice and some trial and error.

• Agree
Reactions: m1ke

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Could very well be. I've been playing with that aspect alot lately. First I had too much, and now apparently too little. smh. Its a learning process I guess.

The sound of the vape helps me to know when I've under wicked as well. If it sounds like a Harley, way under wicked, if it sounds a bit gruntier than normal, slightly under wicked :thumb:

I way under wicked a mtl fused clapton build and nearly had a heart attack - it was a pack of Harleys ;)

• Agree
    Reactions: TrollDragon
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread