Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Joe Welcome to the ECF.

Most Hard Core Vapers were Hard Core Smokers who have Quit. Or are in the process of Quitting. So you might Not get as many Replies as you would think.

Not to say there aren't a Lot of Active people here. There are. Just probably not that many Hard Core Runners as compared to other Forums.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just wondering because I’ve began Vaping to quit chewing tobacco and it works great. I’m also an avid runner and don’t want it to hurt my performance.

If Running is a Priority, I would try to keep the Vaping to Minimum. And steer away from Very High VG e-Liquids.

I can Attest to Significant Cardio and Lung Performance Increases after I switched to Vaping. And my Physician has been pretty much Blown Away after years of telling me to Quit Smoking.

But don't really have a good frame of reference of the Effects of Vaping on someone who Never Smoked. Sorry.

ajbr

May 7, 2017
Melbourne, Fl.
I began running in 1972 after reading a book titled Aerobics by Dr. Cooper. I ran in many 5/10 K races on Long Island for 28 years. Moved to Florida in 1996 and converted to walking because of the heat and my knees began to bother me. I was a hard core smoker all those years (PAD) and at the end of every race my number one goal was to find a tree to hide behind to grab a smoke (God forbid other runners would see someone smoking after a race!). I guess I was luckey because I had no breathing problems that I was aware of but my times were never that great. Finally quit in 2011 using the vaping crutch. I KNOW that without vaping this would have been nearly impossible because I loved smoking and had been doing it for 47 years. However if you look back, many sports figures smoked and competed at a high level. I remember going to an Islander hockey home game at the LI Coliseum and was there when the Montreal Canadians (best team in Hockey at the time)bus arrived for the game. When the bus door opened plumes of smoke poured out and almost every player walked off the bus with a lit cigarette. Do not construe this as justification for smoking-just pointing out that times were different back then. Anyone else have similar experience?

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I used to be that hard core mountain biker who would stop after grinding up to the top of the summit for a ciggarette break, called it "extreme lung training" :) now I am still pretty active, run jog and walk and have been vaping since 2010, I vape 100% vg juices so personally I find when I deep lung inhale too much I get a heavy chest feeling and more congestion so I mostly just inhale mouth and out the nose or mouth with very little to the lungs themselves and I don't have any issues... this may be part of the reason I use higher strength 10mg nic. vape does not need to be fully pulled into your lungs to be effective, the nicotine can get absorbed through your mucus membranes in the mouth and nose unlike cigarettes which kinda needs to go to the lungs for significant nicotine absorption...

now I would never be caught dead without my vape, weather going out for a bike ride, a run jog or walk, but honestly I find that while doing aerobic activities like this I don't really crave the nic so much during, and most often the vape gear is just along for the ride more for the pacifying effect, just to know it's there... yeah once in a while I may hit it once or twice on a break but it doesn't effect me much at all, I admit that if I do take a deeper lung hit I do feel it, but again this is not necessary and I don't really hit the lungs so hard when doing activities such as this, so all-in-all I'd say it's really not much of an issue as long as you learn to avoid the deep lung inhalation shortly before during and after areobic activities such as this

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you'll find vapers who exercise and even a few very aerobic exercisers. I will say my lung capacity improved a great deal (I yoga) but I was a smoker, not a chewer, so your situation may be different. If you are worried, you could go get lung capacity tests (like a spirometer, you can also get a cheap, at home version, I think, we had one for my kid due to asthma) and then again in about a year (here's the thing, my doc told me that lung changes take place fairly slowly he did not give me the test when I asked, although he did say my lungs looked and sounded better.

So you'd be taking a risk to be honest, how big of risk I have no idea. If you want to continue harm reduction you could switch to Swedish snus, (you can find it in the US under "General Snus" and it is supposedly much safer than chewing tobacco and arguably less gross.

Good luck in your decision, it's really something you'd have to decide for yourself, as there are no definitive "does vaping impair your lung function compared to just not vaping.) I mean a decent case can be made that vaping is safe but how safe, over the long term, is just something there aren't clear answers to, really.

Good luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread