Vaping and asthma: Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Effect of Smoking Abstinence and Reduction in Asthmatic Smokers Switching to Electronic Cigarettes: Evidence for Harm Reversal

As an asthmatic I can verify this personally...

We retrospectively reviewed changes in spirometry data, airway hyper-responsiveness (AHR), asthma exacerbations and subjective asthma control in smoking asthmatics who switched to regular e-cig use. Measurements were taken prior to switching (baseline) and at two consecutive visits (Follow-up/1 at 6 (±1) and Follow-up/2 at 12 (±2) months). Eighteen smoking asthmatics (10 single users, eight dual users) were identified. Overall there were significant improvements in spirometry data, asthma control and AHR. These positive outcomes were noted in single and dual users. Reduction in exacerbation rates was reported, but was not significant. No severe adverse events were noted. This small retrospective study indicates that regular use of e-cigs to substitute smoking is associated with objective and subjective improvements in asthma outcomes. Considering that e-cig use is reportedly less harmful than conventional smoking and can lead to reduced cigarette consumption with subsequent improvements in asthma outcomes, this study shows that e-cigs can be a valid option for asthmatic patients who cannot quit smoking by other methods.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I guess I've been too healthy lately. I haven't been to the doctor in well over a year. This spring has been horrible for my allergies though. I called my doctor to get my albuterol scrip refilled, and she denied my request saying I would have to come in for my yearly checkup first. The big catch is she can't get me in for two weeks. In the meantime, I've been looking at the only otc medication currently available since primatine mist was outlawed for "environmental reasons". All reports indicate that asthmanefrin works well, but the atomizer it comes with sucks big time. I've seen some report using a pv atomizer and wondered if anyone has had success with it. I have plenty of those laying around and suspect they may work better than what comes in the kit.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
Yeah, the environutjobs that were worried about ozone depletion from the inhalers removed the only viable OTC asthma treatment that was available. The primatine mist product is still available in pill form (I think), but you have to put yourself on the pharmacy's .... list every time you buy a box.

Hadn't heard about the other product you mentioned, but I'd question the safety of using their medication in a PV atomizer. Might be temperature differences or some other factors that are important for the medication. Have you ever gotten a breathing treatment with the nebulizers in an emergency room? Those work very well, but the volume of vapor is very low. Thinking it's supposed to be that way...wouldn't want to OD on something that affects your heartrate. (JMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread