Vaping and Law Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdunnion

Apr 25, 2010
NJ
I have had a couple experiences with vaping and law enforcement. Once emptying my pockets to get through the metal detector at court. They could care less. I was pulled over while vaping my quad coil rda, it had to have smelled there. My mod was right on the seat next to me, no problems. However back in 2009 I read a forum post from a girl whose vaping piece was confiscated. So I am a bit paranoid. What have your experiences been like?

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
I've heard stories of both extremes, but only around various forums so I don't have any real-world experience of the more negative situations. Never had a problem, myself. Walked past cops on the street while vaping, sitting next to them at stop lights while vaping, driven past speed traps while vaping . . . all on various devices that probably looked more than a little strange to the officers. Never even so much as been questioned about it by a LEO

Granted, I live in a fairly rural area with no local ordinances anywhere on smoking in public places (outdoors, anyway). I could very well have a different experience if I were walking around Boston blowing huge clouds or something. I think with those kind of stories, often the situation has more contributing factors than just the presence of a PV (which has clearly been the case in some of the stories I've heard over the years of confiscation or other issues)

etchie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Winter Springs, FL, USA
I wouldn't think twice about vaping in front of a cop, whether on foot or in traffic, but I don't think a cop has ever seen me do it (paid attention). I'm sure this varies a lot depending on where you live and it would be interesting to know how the reaction would be around here. I live a few minutes outside Orlando (FL). We're not a huge city like Atlanta or anything, but certainly not a small town in the middle of nowhere.

sparc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
West Side till I die
After eating at a restaurant I was outside vaping and I see a police car cruising around the parking lot and he made a quick turn towards me. The officer slowly drove up to me and as we both made eye contact I let out a cloud. He continued on his way. I'm sure if I were act sneaky to hide what i was doing he would of questioned me.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I've vaped in front of cops quite a few times, mostly in restaurants after I eat. None have ever said anything. Several years ago, when I was new to vaping, I showed my PV to a couple of cops in a restaurant and asked them if they knew what it was. They didn't. I explained, and asked them if seeing something like that would be likely to make a cop think "I need to check this guy for drugs" or similar, and both told me "No, we would not have thought anything about it".

And that was three years ago. They are much better known now. There may be a few cops who will harass you, but it's bound to be a very tiny percentage.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I've vaped in front of cops quite a few times, mostly in restaurants after I eat. None have ever said anything. Several years ago, when I was new to vaping, I showed my PV to a couple of cops in a restaurant and asked them if they knew what it was. They didn't. I explained, and asked them if seeing something like that would be likely to make a cop think "I need to check this guy for drugs" or similar, and both told me "No, we would not have thought anything about it".

I did similar thing last summer when at Village Hall (cop shop) and after having to be in there for awhile (parking permit), I asked if they knew what it was. They didn't. So, I explained it and they thanked me as they realized they might encounter it from that day forward. I then asked if they saw a problem with my using it in Village Hall, and they said in the general area where public is permitted, they couldn't think of a reason why not.

ITHURTZ

Dec 24, 2013
Antioch IL USA
couple weeks back I was at the park with the kids. Saw 2 cops pull into the parking lot and get out. Turns out they were comming for me. Someone called and said I was smoking [Moderated] Cop told me that, I laughed and pulled out my Igo L and my strawberry kiwi juice and showed him. He radio'd back "its just a e cig" and that was that.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
Here in Wv the ecigs are just now kind of starting to take off. Only one vape shop and a tobacco shop sell juice and supplies in my area. The cops dont pay any attention to them really. I carry my pv in a smart phone case on my belt Ive had people ask me what it is a time or two but so far I havent attracted any attention from the law. But then again things are pretty relaxed around this small town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread