Status
Not open for further replies.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
I would respect a pregnant woman's wishes. I've been pregnant 5 times (all miscarried....but nothing at all to do with smoking). My longest pregnancy lasted up until 20 weeks. I smoked, but as soon as I saw the positive pregnancy test, I would work on quitting. Usually by my 6-8 week appointment, I was done. My BF actually suggested I take up vaping instead of quitting cold turkey, but each time, I was able to quit ok.

My BF never stopped smoking around me. Although I think if I would have made it further along (3rd trimester), he may have made an effort (even at 20 weeks, I never looked pregnant). Also I grew up in a house where my Grandfather smoked (my mother never smoked though, she has respiratory allergies).

Our neighbor is pregnant, and I'm not sure if she still smokes full time, or if she's just always broke; but she bums cigarettes off my BF like every other day! I kinda chide him for giving a pregnant woman cigarettes...but hey, it's her choice. If she didn't get them from him, she would get them from somewhere else.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
There are places where you can vape where you can't smoke - many English pubs, for example. Perhaps a rethink is in order on the Golden Rule? :)

Also, my house, my mom's house, my aunt's house, and bathroom stalls wherever... That particular "golden rule' would remove 50%-100% of my reason for vaping!

Andria

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Golden rule- don't Vape where you can't smoke.
Why don't we all just join ANTZ and proudly display our membership cards?

Because behavior rules keep changing.
It was customary for a caveman to defecate in front of a cavewoman (and vice versa); not anymore.
It was customary to blow clouds in the air; not anymore. Air now is included in a personal space.
Vaping in front of other people may be harmless to them (as defecating is), but it is impolite.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Yeah, mostly I feel like those who treat vaping like smoking really don't understand the vast difference between them, and I'm really tired of kowtowing to the terminally ignorant; I have rights too, and I'm really tired of them being abused and totally trampled just so the terminally ignorant can exercise theirs.

But, for a pregnant woman... as I said, if that child ends up having ANY problems, and you vaped around the child's mother while she was pregnant, you'd blame yourself, even if the vaping had nothing whatever to do with it. Pregnancy doesn't last long, so it's not really that big a deal to just vape away from her immediate area. Because the truth is, we really DON'T know if there could be a problem to the unborn or not. Some things that are totally fine to most people, could be a big problem for a fetus -- I ate my steak medium while pregnant, instead of medium-rare, for just that reason.

Andria

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
1. Frankly, there's plenty of ignorance on the vaper side of the equation when it comes to this stuff. Pretending like we know everything is perfectly fine doesn't do us any favors, and makes us the other side of the knee-jerk coin.

2. If someone is put off by something, and you're intentionally confrontational about it, at that point it's about you and your own issues and you're using vaping as a tool to express them -- not the people who are wigged about it. This on a spectrum with lots of gray areas, but one of the surest ways you get "the masses" OK with bans and then more extreme measures is by being able to paint vapers as self-entitled a-holes wanting to blow vapor towards babies. If you're questioning this, I'd suggest some history on the prohibition of ........., obituates and of course alcohol (the first 2 are just racist, the second falls squarely into the women's temperance union believing men would be better people if it was outlawed).

Vapers are people, there's no reason why a vaper can't be an ......, and the best way to have it be accepted is not hide it, but show you're just a normal conscientious person. Everyone is ignorant about some things; if someone is ignorant about vaping, offer to educate them in a non-condescending way. However if they're uncomfortable, you pushing on it is just going to set things back and make it easier for vapers to get demonized when they tell others the story.

coolercoiler

Dec 5, 2014
uk
whether its completely safe or not i refuse to vape around kids, I dont want them to grow up thinking that its normal . I am sure that a lot of us had parents that smoked when we were younger, and i believe that is a large contributer to me starting, whether consciously or subconsciously. I dont want them to ever start vaping because all the grownups around them did. I am sure all of us as vapers would agree that however small the risk is , not vaping is better than vaping.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I've noticed that some people have reported their heart to beat a little harder if we're in a closed space and I'm vaping beside them. So to be on the safe side, I'd stay back..

Maybe you're alarming them somehow? There isn't enough nicotine in a vapour exhale to make an amoeba squirm. :)

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Because behavior rules keep changing.
It was customary for a caveman to defecate in front of a cavewoman (and vice versa); not anymore.
It was customary to blow clouds in the air; not anymore. Air now is included in a personal space.
Vaping in front of other people may be harmless to them (as defecating is), but it is impolite.

Your sense of courtesy is a little misplaced, I think. The "air" that you describe as personal space has already been polluted by diesel fumes, aircraft fuel and a "hundred" other things. How can air be personal space? We all use it, therefore it is shared.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
whether its completely safe or not i refuse to vape around kids, I dont want them to grow up thinking that its normal . I am sure that a lot of us had parents that smoked when we were younger, and i believe that is a large contributer to me starting, whether consciously or subconsciously. I dont want them to ever start vaping because all the grownups around them did. I am sure all of us as vapers would agree that however small the risk is , not vaping is better than vaping.

Yeah, god forbid that kids get the idea that saving your own life is a good thing. :facepalm:

Andria

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Golden rule- don't Vape where you can't smoke.

When I smoked, I didn't smoke in a non-smokers house, or somewhere there was a 'no smoking' sign. More than once I walked into a building with the cigarette I had just extinguished outside still in my mouth though. Certainly not anywhere close to kids, and not around a pregnant woman. If I ever saw a pregnant woman smoking or drinking, she would get a piece of my mind! I follow the same rules now that I exclusively vape.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    If I ever saw a pregnant woman smoking or drinking, she would get a piece of my mind!

Speaking as one who smoked while pregnant, I'd have told you to mind your own beeswax, and I'm quite sure my husband would have told you the same. But probably more forcefully.

Andria

My knee-jerk reaction is that it probably isn't harmful at all. My personal values around vaping is that it feels rude to me.

As for nicotine and harm, it should be noted that I didn't use any nicotine at all at any time when I was pregnant with my twins, and I lost them to prematurity anyway. Bad things happen. (A week after they died, I started smoking again. Bad, but better than drugs and hard drinking.)

Yes, my son sees me vape. He used to see me smoke. Which is worse?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread