vaping difference between cartomizers and clearomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

suspect

May 9, 2013
Australia
hey guys im new to vaping been at it 3 days and was just wondering whats the difference in vaping from a cartomizers as opposed to a coil wick clearomizer. im currently vaping a vapeonly bottom coil tank with an eGo-C twist. ive also got a mini nova and ce6 top coil but i found the vapor too hot and too much TH so ive gone to bottom coils. i was interested to try a cartomizer but my local vendor told me theyre out dated and no one uses them anymore. i was just interested to know how cartos vape compared to bottom coils. are they a cooler vape? do they still provide good flavour? whats the TH like?

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Cartomizers are similar to bottom coil clearomizers. They have good flavor, some say its a little better than most wick style clearomizers, although I think the bottom coil clearos are just about as good as a carto. Some can taste the filler material in lighter juices (barely) The throat hit is just as good as anything else. They are basically coils surrounded by a tube of wick material. They work similar to anything else. They work well, especially in tanks. I'm sure you'd enjoy a carto tank just as much as a bcc. But, BCCs are great too.

El_tecolote

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
Your vendor is trying to sell you hype. Yes, clearos and Kangers, etc. are probably more widely used now, but I would take issue with your vendor's implication that cartos are outdated. They continue to provide a tried-and-true delivery system for many vapers. Are they any better than more popularly used systems? Well, I don't think we will see their extinction quite yet.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
If your top coil devices are too hot, try turning the voltage down a bit... that may help with that issue.

Differences between cartos and clearos? Well, the obvious, a clearo you can see how much juice is left. Both have a coil to heat, some sort of wick / filler to keep the juice on the coil.

There are subtle differences in the vape. As there are between top and bottom coil devices. Yes, bottom coil does tend to be a bit cooler - and you can get bottom coil cartos, as well. But taste is totally subjective. Best advice I can give is to try some of each, and decide which you prefer.

I use top and bottom coil clearos, cartos, carto tanks... they each have a niche for me. YMMV. :vapor:

DevastationWagon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
South Florida
Cartos outdated? Your vendor is either a clearo fan boi, completely uninformed, or just trying to upsell you.

I personally love cartos in a tank. Katya is spot on....order up a some LR Boge or LR Smoktech cartos and properly fill them with a juice you are using in your clearos for a comparison. I really enjoy both delivery systems and do use both in my rotation, but I personally find clearos to mute the flavor in some of my juices while others seem fine. Seems to affect the sweeter juices I use.

With that said, I've been really liking the newer Kanger stuff, especially the EVOD tanks. I like the fact that you can rebuild most of the clearos out there too. When the wick and/or coil is done, I wrap a new coil and use a cotton wick and have had great results.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think some of the B&M are trying to push what is 'easy'. Locally I am seeing more cigalikes and heavy dosages of clearo's that are being called tanks. Fast to demo, easy to explain, quick customer processing. Just a thought on that.
I tend to agree with this. There's a known learning curve with cartotanks and the vendor doesn't wish to explain their use or deal with any issues that might arise post sale. Plus, consider a clearomizer costs, what? up to $7 in a B & M? A cartomizer only costs $2.50. Which do you think he wants to sell you to make some profit? Both will last approximately the same amount of time.

Here's some helpful information on the more common juice delivery devices: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...k-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html

Here's a tutorial on cartotanks: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yep, makes a lot of sense. Not seeing any large push for the stick format around here, but yes on the clearos, and certainly good for the B&M.

Heck, it's how one got me vaping, with (thankfully!) a decent stardust version. But I also had a young clerk run me through the whole prep process for a carto tank. I guess the better B&Ms remember that good customer service is a major element for referrals and repeat business.

I just picked up one of the new CE86047s - the one with the bottom coil insert, no visible wick. Had seen it at Vapor Joe's a while back, and was curious. It was actually $10. Figured I wasn't going online to search it out and pay shipping, so why not, eh?

Yeah, some shop prices can be outrageous...

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Good you've found what works for you, Grimwald.

Personally, I'm always "nervous" with cartos - unless they're in a tank and I can see the liquid. :p

I find that the bottom coils play nicer with my flavors and my tongue then the to coils, and have very few issues with them leaking. Some of the larger ones - Protank, T3, hold a sufficient amount to get me through most eventualities - especially since if I'm going to be out for the day, I have two, both mounted on VV devices. Hey, a guy's gotta have backups! Two birds, one stone.

Of course, the second device can have anything on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread