Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
From what I've read; they are the dawn of a good idea, but this early implementation is utter crap.

They take FOREVER to heat up, and stay extremely hot for a long period of time after reaching the temperature to vaporize e-liquid.

I can't imagine anything more un-squonk friendly to stick inside your RM2.

It's a start though... betcha we see more along this line of product in the upcoming year done better.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Aw, nuts - I was intrigued until I saw Funk's response.

We need a sticky for a pool on when this type of alternate heating platform is commonplace, 'cause it's going to happen. When it does, we'll be the first-gen vapers who hang out in B&M's grumbling about "in my day, we had to twist bare wire to make a coil; none of this <insert future premade heating widget> crap."

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
Saw the thread title and all I could think of is: Your doing it wrong if you need to sit on a doughnut!

:facepalm:

Nah, just a good spin through the dishwasher, and that Reo will be back in operation, no problem, right? That thing can handle anything (well, the REO, anyway)! :evil::lol:

Cptfunpants, make sure to tell us which REO required your use of the doughnut. So we can all avoid it if it should show up in the classies...:laugh:

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
Aw, nuts - I was intrigued until I saw Funk's response.

We need a sticky for a pool on when this type of alternate heating platform is commonplace, 'cause it's going to happen. When it does, we'll be the first-gen vapers who hang out in B&M's grumbling about "in my day, we had to twist bare wire to make a coil; none of this <insert future premade heating widget> crap."

Lol, I'm relatively late to the vaping "game." The curmudgeon in me would love nothing more to than to someday regale (or bore :laugh:) young whippersnappers with our tales of the "Dark Ages" of vaping.

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
I'll admit that when I first saw those I got all excited and had all these great atomizer mods to incorporate one of those to be a BF. The more I did my research the more I found that those are a really bad idea. Not only do they heat slow and cool slow but the biggest concern is that ceramic heating coils are NOT meant to be inhaled. Ceramic can crack which will lead to the inhalation of alumina silicate hydrate, what that means is ceramic contains silica (glass.) When silica is inhaled into the lungs over a LONG period of time (I'm talking a lifetime), one can develop a disease called silicosis. Simply put it is a cancer of the lungs. The silica slowly crystallizes your lungs from the inside out and turns them to rocks. At the very least some people have reported irritation from inhaling vapor from cracked ceramic heating elements (although it was a different type of vaporizer... for tobacco and such)

A heating element made from glass wrapped tungsten would be much better for you than ceramic, although it would still perform like the ceramic making it not such a suitable option for us.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I set two up as a dual coil on a Reomizer 2.

I was able to get the wires to fit through the hole from both sides, a first for a dual on a Reo 2.

My Ohms is .31. I find the flavor is a little muted, I'm using cotton.

Below are pics
Vaping Donut Left
vaping_d_L.JPG

Vaping Donut Right
vaping_d_R.jpg

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I have had a single one on a RM2 for a while - 0.4 ohms. They do work, but I needed to use a huge amount of cotton and the taste wasn't really worth it. They are nothing special - Any thick Kanthal does the same, and in a more controllable manner.

The doughnuts heat on two spots at the same time and you have only one airhole to line up.

I imagine they will get better and there may be special atomizers with specific setups for them - but as they are now (or have been a couple months ago) they are just a proof of concept.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I found the secret to setting up the Vaping Donut in the Reomizer 2 and I'm now a happy camper.

Tweak 1. - Don't use alot of cotton. I ran the cotton through the centers of the donuts and then pushed it down the center so the cotton touches the ceramic bottom and wicks the liquid upwards. What is happening is that the donut has tremendous surface area so if you surround it with cotton it works like a heat sync and the donut won't heat up quickly.

Tweak 2 - Drilled very large air holes on each side. of the Reomizer.

Tweak 3 - Switched liquids to a tastier liquid

See Pics Below

Dual Donuts mean Dual Holes 1 on each side and they have to be big
for some reason it needs Aeration.
Vapd_reo2_hole.JPG

Loose cotton stuffed inside the donut hole
Vapd_reo2_LsideJPG.jpg

Basically I threaded the cotton through both donut holes and made a U down the center so it would wick the juice up from the bottom. Minimum cotton used.
Vapd_reo2_center.jpg

When I fire the APV with the top off the cotton in the center of the donut immediately sizzles, then the juice sizzles out and runs down the ceramic donut. It now heats up very quickly. Also I haven't been experiencing dry hits, it seems that the heating of the edge of the cotton is causing a wicking action from the bottom of the cotton and replacing the vaporized liquid before it can dry and burn.

My theory is that most are surrounding the donuts with cotton and the wet cotton is working like a heat sink and absorbing the heat from the donut.

Last edited:

BiggestPapi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2013
Richardson TX
Have any of you guys tried the vaping doughnut on your RM2s?

VAPIN DONUTS

Tried them - not ready for our application in prime time yet due to time to heat & cool.

Thermovape uses ceramic heating elements in their mods. Flavor is incredible, but it takes what seems like a year per puff. Most of their 'mods' are used by the 'leaf' crowd though, so they probably aren't puffing every five seconds. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread