Vaping help quit dipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigHead72

Dec 5, 2018
I know this has been discussed in other threads but I'm also new to vaping. Been dipping 1-2 cans of dip for almost 4 years and I'd like to quit. Yesterday I was buying a can of dip in a gas station and I saw MY BLU starter pack for $1. I bought my dip and was like give me 2 of them starter packs. Anyways I have puffed the crap out of this thing, starting to like it more and more but the tobacco flavor pods isn't much my thing. My question is can this My BLU 4% do enough help me quit or should I upgrade to something else? I read 4% is only like 12-16mg of nicotine.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I'm not familiar with the cig-a-likes or items like that sold in gas stations, but vaping can certainly be used to replace/stop the use of oral tobacco.

I smoked and dipped as a teenager, quit both for about 8 years, and then started dipping again. Mind you, I had already had a gum tissue graft to replace tissue in the front of my mouth since my gums had rotted away.

I've been vaping pretty much since it started and haven't smoked or used oral tobacco since. To me, stopping oral tobacco was harder than smoking. I got much more nicotine from using it.

Others can chime in to provide suggestions on the My Blu question.

• Winner
Reactions: dsites

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I know this has been discussed in other threads but I'm also new to vaping. Been dipping 1-2 cans of dip for almost 4 years and I'd like to quit. Yesterday I was buying a can of dip in a gas station and I saw MY BLU starter pack for $1. I bought my dip and was like give me 2 of them starter packs. Anyways I have puffed the crap out of this thing, starting to like it more and more but the tobacco flavor pods isn't much my thing. My question is can this My BLU 4% do enough help me quit or should I upgrade to something else? I read 4% is only like 12-16mg of nicotine.

Hi BigHead72. Welcome to the ECF.

I never Dipped or Chewed. But I have read Many Threads here on the ECF where people have Quit using an e-Cigarette.

Lots of people start with Cig-a-Likes or "Pod" systems like the JUUL. And for some, it is Enough to help them Quit. But if it Isn't getting you where you want to be, Don't Hesitate to ask for recommendation for a more traditional e-Cigarette.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Welcome.

In terms of nic in fluid, a 4% would be considered at the high end. When you see folks speak numbers like 6, 9, 12 they mean for example 6ml of liquid nicotine per litre of juice or 0.6%. So a 4% would be 40mg, ie a lot.

Thing is, vaping delivers nicotine a little differently and it takes a bit longer to absorb in the lungs. You can decide not to inhale and have it 'soak in' your gums for a similar way by taking a drag and holding it in your mouth before exhaling.

Many here do not inhale. Maybe some will chime in with their thoughts.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Welcome.

In terms of nic in fluid, a 4% would be considered at the high end. When you see folks speak numbers like 6, 9, 12 they mean for example 6ml of liquid nicotine per litre of juice or 0.6%. ...

Just to be Clear.

When people here on the ECF refer to a number for the Nicotine they are using, say "6" or "6mg", what they are saying is they are using 6mg of Nicotine per Milligram of Volume. ie: 6mg/ml

The Math is correct. Its just not the Units that we use.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF @BigHead72.
Your nic mg is fine for the device you are using. Please keep in mind your body absorbs the nic in vapor more slowly than the dipping; your body will adjust over the next week or so. You might want to upgrade to something with a fuller draw. This is an excellent starter kit, Innokin Kroma/Zenith. If you move outside of pods you will want to buy e juice in both 18mg and 12mg of the same flavor so you can adjust the nic in your tank to a level that works for you. Much easier than it sounds so don't be scared off. Best of luck making vaping work for you.
This is a reliable site, code DNA5 will take 5% off your cart, or go to a local shop and look around.
Innokin Kroma-A 75W TC Box Mod and Zenith Tank Starter Kit | Vape Kits

Reactions: zoiDman

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
If you aren't getting enough nicotine to satisfy your cravings, consider a pod system to get strarted. Using 45mg or 50mg nic 'salts', you can get a hefty nicotine dose very easily. I would only suggest doing this if you are still getting strong cravings for nicotine still. There's other stuff in tobacco that's addictive too, so vaping isn't going to cover that, but it will replace the nicotine.

If you need something that will get you a quick, strong nic dose, a pod and high strength salts may be the way to go. You can then decrease the salt strength later, and then go to a more traditional vape device at that point if you desire.

I think pods are a great way for folks to quit. I prefer traditional mods/tanks/RDAs, but this can be overwhelming to a newbie and I've seen folks fail when the system they get doesn't work for them.

With an inexpensive pod system, you aren't putting out much cash to get started and it gives you some time to learn about other vape methods. Some folks use pods all the time, some gravitate to other types of devices.

Almost getting difficult to select a pod system these days too though since there are so many available. The good thing is since you never smoked, the 'draw' probably isn't all that important to you. I would suggest getting a refillable system though. Two I use the are inexpensive to purchase/maintain (buying replacement pods) are the SMOK Novo, and Justfog Minifit.

Just something to consider. These can give you a very effective nic dose and won't run you a lot of money if you decide in a month or so to change out your equipment. Many folks I tried to 'coach' to quit smoking with a tank/mod that failed, ended up quitting using a pod. Many went on to a tank/mod combo later after they learned more about vaping.

Plenty of helpful folks here. Ask questions and try to stick with it though. Trust me, you don't want to use oral tobacco any longer than you HAVE to. I've got screwed up gums and have had several gum tissue graft surgeries to try to keep my teeth. And I probably have a good possibility of oral cancer in the future.

• Useful

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Just to be Clear.

When people here on the ECF refer to a number for the Nicotine they are using, say "6" or "6mg", what they are saying is they are using 6mg of Nicotine per Milligram of Volume. ie: 6mg/ml

The Math is correct. Its just not the Units that we use.

Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: zoiDman

dsites

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2017
Nederland, Colorado
I started w/ Vuse which is a cigalike w/ high nic levels and it sounds like your devices are similar. Apparently, JULE is by far the market leader in vaping so they must be doing something right. Downstream you may or may not want to switch to cheaper solutions with different options. Keep looking around, try a few different options, and you'll find what works for you.

Kevin Holmquist

Nov 10, 2015
Another option for you is Snus. It's similar to Skoal, Copenhagen, etc. But processed differently and much less harmful.

Make sure you get true snus, not the .......ized versions Marlboro and Camel sell. Look for General snus made by Swedish Match.

I used Skoal to quit smoking before I started vaping. I still use Snus for those times that I can't vape.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Go with what you feel you need to satisfy your vaping needs. The main thing to remember is, vaping is all about you the vaper, being in control and the freedom to fix/tailor any aspect of vaping you feel you need to improve upon. You just have to make an effort to do a little amount of research. If you have trouble, quite a number of ECF members are available to help.
The following may help to answer some of your basic questions:
The Sweet Spot: How Much Nicotine do You Need/Want in Your Vape?

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Vaping has worked very well for me to quit smoking, but if it is difficult for to transfer the physical motions/habit to vaping another alternative with physical sensations more similar to dipping would be nicotine lozenges. I had tried, unsuccessfully, to use those to quit smoking and then used them to keep up my nicotine at work for which they worked well. I also have used them in places like the hospital where even stealth vaping can be a problem.

If you do try them I strongly recommend the official Nicorette mini lozenges. They are more strongly flavored and are easy to tuck between gums and cheek. Most of the generics seem to be large and minimally and sweetly flavored - think altoids vs pillow mints. I found the strong mint seemed to make them seem stronger.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread