Vaporesso Switcher problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tek-Tek

Apr 5, 2020
Hello to all, and TIA for any advice.

I am relatively new to vaping and one of my first mods is a vaporesso Switcher TCBAT12 and I've run into 2 problems.

The first is the a Power Protect error. Any time a coil is detected over 1 Ohm in VW mode, it does not let it run over 15 Watts. This is even when an atomizer starts at sub-ohm levels but gets over 1 Ohm when vaping. It drops to 15 as soon as the coil resistance goes over 1.

The other is an issue with TC. It will not allow for wattage below 30 Watts.

There is only 1 firmware available for the Switcher, and the one for the Revenger series will not install on the Switcher, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a work around. I was considering another model like a Luxe or Luxe S, but don't wan't to hit the same restrictions.

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• Version.jpg
    Version.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • Power_Protect.jpg
    Power_Protect.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Tek-Tek

Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the reply. I have found that I can get around the VW issue where it keeps bumping down to 15 Watts.

I can set the CCW at a lower Wattage and it will continue past the 5 second programmable curve with he last wattage setting. As an example: I Can set the CCW curve to be 24 Watts for the first 2 seconds, 22 Watts for the next 3 seconds, then it will stay at 22 Watts for the remainder of the fire after the programmed 5 seconds is over.

I have not tried any other work arounds for TC vaping below 30 Watts yet.

What other mods can I expect issues like this with? I was looking at the Luxe and Luxe S, but the differences in Omni 4.0 and 4.2 are unclear, and I don't know if I will run into these same limitations.

Tek-Tek

Apr 5, 2020
I have experienced this with a few different atomizers, but a Saionara with donut coils is one that I've had both issues with.

I'm fairly new to mods so I'd like to find something that takes dual 18650s, and I can use in both modes. I'm happy with the basic features and specs of the Switcher. Those odd wattage restrictions are all that has me looking for something else.

The Luxe seems to be the next logical device from Vaporesso, but I don't have access to one to test for myself. I'm open to other suggestions, and other manufacturers if necessary.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Vsticking and PIONEER4YOU make some reasonably priced YiHi chipset mods. Steamcrave recently released the Hadron dual 21700 behemoth, that's got a future Squonk addon to come.

And YiHi is one of the best when it comes to TC vaping, their own brand is SX mini but they're on the expensive side.

Then there's a fair few manufacturers that use Evolv DNA chipsets, from kind of reasonable to extravagant prices.

And then there's Dicodes, way too rich for my blood.

But excuse me, could I be incredibly cheeky and inquire about your budget please? I'll be better able to source you some options then.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
PIONEER4YOU make some reasonably priced YiHi chipset mods.
Too bad you didn't ask this a few months ago... there was a clearance sale on those mods (dual 18650) really cheap! Unfortunately, they are out of stock and I can't find them anymore. Does it have to be dual battery? There are some really good single battery mods out there (including 21700)

Reactions: Mordacai

Tek-Tek

Apr 5, 2020
This is a lot of great info.

Temp Control will be my primary usage, though having adjustable wattage to fall back on has been helpful. I'd like to be able to use a variety of concentrate atomizers.

I was hoping to keep things under $100, and I have been leaning toward 18650 because I've already got it covered. Temp Control seems to be where everything is headed.

I'm new to this in the last few months, and I haven't had to opportunity to get out to stores and talk to anyone in person. I'm starting from scratch and am stumbling through trial and error via on-line ordering.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Tek-Tek Not familiar with the Sai Atomizer, but quick search shows this was designed as a THC product. Also found that the Donut coil uses Ni200 (Nickel) as the heating metal. If this is true, Nickel should never be used in wattage mode. It's resistance increases with heat at a very rapid rate - the Switcher mod in wattage does not understand this rise in resistance and initiates a power protect action. Many devices employ similar protection modes although might called something else (DNA calls it Temp Protect). Choosing another device, i suspect you will be faced with a similar error if used in wattage mode.

Ni200 coils, along with Titanium (to name a few), must be used in a Temperature Control mode. Every metal we use for vaping has it's own unique Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (TCR) value. This value demonstrates the rate at which the metals resistance rises with heat. Kanthal, as an example, has a very low TCR value - for the temperatures we use to vape, it's resistance barely changes. Ni200 has a very high TCR value, so it's resistance changes at a much higher rate.

Using a metals TCR value, we can calculate the metals temperature based on it's rise resistance. Depending on the metal, and with a Temperature Controlled compatible vape device, the mod can use this TCR value, read the rise in resistance of the coil and maintain a specific temperature by adjusting the applied power.

Tek-Tek

Apr 5, 2020
Again all very good information. The need to run in TC mode for Ni and Ti based coils makes perfect sense. I hope that there are no unpublished limits on the VSticking like those that I've run into on the Switcher. The Switcher does not allow for use below 30 Watts in TCR, the same limit in the basic TC settings on the same device. I haven't even tried Wattage mode on those particular coils, but found that 15 W max limit (over 1 Ohm) on another atomizer.

I think this Switcher is probably a decent device within it's parameters, but they don't happen to suit my needs. I'm looking forward to working with something higher quality as well.

Reactions: Mordacai

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Again all very good information. The need to run in TC mode for Ni and Ti based coils makes perfect sense. I hope that there are no unpublished limits on the VSticking like those that I've run into on the Switcher. The Switcher does not allow for use below 30 Watts in TCR, the same limit in the basic TC settings on the same device. I haven't even tried Wattage mode on those particular coils, but found that 15 W max limit (over 1 Ohm) on another atomizer.

I think this Switcher is probably a decent device within it's parameters, but they don't happen to suit my needs. I'm looking forward to working with something higher quality as well.

Do not own the Switcher, looking at PBusardo's review, despite the lower 30 watt limit in TC, his measurements does display the device is scaling back power to maintain a temperature. Agree the 30 watt limit is a deficiency, but might not be as bad as one may think. But that would be dependent on your coil and preferences.

He also displayed the Power Protect, which looks to be a 2 part protection. 1st: Any coil read at above 1 ohm, the device limits power to 15 watts. Do not understand this and feel it is a design error.

2nd: Any coil that rises in resistance above 1 ohm, the Power Protect kicks in and limits power to 15 watts. Many devices have a somewhat similar protection, for an aggressive rise in resistance could indicate a problem at the coil. But think the Switcher's implementation of such protection was poorly executed. Do not know if locking the resistance within it's features would help prevent this, but Ni200 type coils should be used in Temp Control.

Agree the device must suit the individual's needs, and in this case the Switcher is not working for you. Hopefully the VSticking works out for you.

Reactions: Tek-Tek

Tek-Tek

Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the tips! This has become more of a suggestion for a new device, but it does seem to be the solution.

I have taken some time and looked over the devices you suggested, some of the equipment that I've got, and spent some more time reading up on TC. I've got some Kanthal coils that I've used with the Switcher in VW mode, and they do work well together.

I also appreciate the suggestion on the YiHi chipsets for accurate TC. TC is going needed for almost any other situation that I might run into. I'll play with it and go from there.

Thanks again, Mordacai and PID!

Vaporesso_Milo

Brand Manager
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2016
Hello to all, and TIA for any advice.

I am relatively new to vaping and one of my first mods is a Vaporesso Switcher TCBAT12 and I've run into 2 problems.

The first is the a Power Protect error. Any time a coil is detected over 1 Ohm in VW mode, it does not let it run over 15 Watts. This is even when an atomizer starts at sub-ohm levels but gets over 1 Ohm when vaping. It drops to 15 as soon as the coil resistance goes over 1.

The other is an issue with TC. It will not allow for wattage below 30 Watts.

There is only 1 firmware available for the Switcher, and the one for the Revenger series will not install on the Switcher, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a work around. I was considering another model like a Luxe or Luxe S, but don't wan't to hit the same restrictions.

Thanks for your advice!
Sorry for your trouble and sorry for the late reply. These 2 issues you mentioned are normal on the Switcher kit. It was set to max 15W when the resistance is over 1ohm to protect the coil. And the starting power is also limited to 30W under TC mode. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. This product was discontinued already, so currently we don't have updated firmware for this kit. Sorry again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread