Variable voltage battery safe range

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybeshewill

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
Tatooine
I'm very soon buying a VV ego type battery, and I wanted to clear some questions beforehand so I don't blow my atty or fry any juices by accident.

So, the battery I'm getting is a 1300 mah, and is adjustable from 3.2 to 4.8 volts.
My atomizer heads (Aspire BDC types) are all at 1.8 ohm ressistance. Next to the ressistance indication , in brackets, it says ''(3.0 - 5.0V)''
Does this mean this atomizer head can take up to a 5V current?

Are there any other variables/safety precautions I should be aware of with my new battery?
Any input it welcome, thanks :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Ohn8o.png

for larger view:
http://i.imgur.com/Ohn8o.png

You'll see on the left that 1.8 ohms goes into the 'purple' area (some ejuices may fry) at 4 volts and into the 'red' area (risk of frying coil) at 4.5Volts. With really light flavors I'd stay below 3.4Volts.

1buda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ohn8o.png

for larger view:

You'll see on the left that 1.8 ohms goes into the 'purple' area (some ejuices may fry) at 4 volts and into the 'red' area (risk of frying coil) at 4.5Volts. With really light flavors I'd stay below 3.4Volts.

This chart is way different than the one I've trying to use. So if I'm at 1.8ohms, 3.7v what is 7.61 number?

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
The 3.0 - 5.0V you see on the Aspire BDC is just a suggested range. Your setup will let you know if your venturing to high so don't worry about the numbers. What works you may be totally different than what works for someone else even with the same juice and setup.

Just remember to start out low and slowly bump it up till your satisfied.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Just start low and work up 'til it tastes good to you.

5 volts isn't likely to damage the coils you have, but it may burn the juice and make it taste bad.
+1

I have that setup, an Aspire on a Smoktech Winder. On the juices I've tried so far 4.1 is the highest I can go, with 3.8-4 being the ideal highest rate. Anything higher than that and the juices burn. I think the holes on the Aspire coils are just too small to let in enough liquid to be able to use anything higher.

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
Yeah, definitely wicking/juice issue. These things have no exposed wicks, just 2 tiny holes. Anything with too much VG you have to be careful with.

There's one really thick juice I like from my local b&m that I haven't been able to get it to work on a bottom coil. I have to use a dual coil 4 wick Nova style with the ego cranked all the way down to 3.2.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm very soon buying a VV ego type battery, and I wanted to clear some questions beforehand so I don't blow my atty or fry any juices by accident.

So, the battery I'm getting is a 1300 mah, and is adjustable from 3.2 to 4.8 volts.
My atomizer heads (Aspire BDC types) are all at 1.8 ohm ressistance. Next to the ressistance indication , in brackets, it says ''(3.0 - 5.0V)''
Does this mean this atomizer head can take up to a 5V current?

Are there any other variables/safety precautions I should be aware of with my new battery?
Any input it welcome, thanks :)

Aspire is a dual coil clearomizer, which means that your 1.8Ω atty comes with two 3.6Ω coils configured in parallel, not two 1.8Ω coils. The problem with using dual coils on an eGo-class battery may be problematic because of the Amp limit if you go to higher voltages. It's kind of complicated. :D And yes, 3-5v is the recommended range, but I do believe that 3v is too low.

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is to start low and then slowly increase your voltage as needed. DCC atties produce more vapor than their single-coil cousins, due to more surface area, so they can tolerate somewhat lower voltages.

Most people like to vape somewhere between 5 and 7 watts, more or less, depending on the device and the eliquid. Wattage = Voltage squared divided by Resistance. This calculator may help:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Good luck and happy vaping.

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
Ohn8o.png

for larger view:

Finally something that makes sense! Thank you Kent C. The calculators were just frustrating me but the chart makes way more sense imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread