Variable voltage/wattage device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
Hey guys, so I just purchased the itaste vv 3.0 and people are saying its great to have variables wattage and voltage. My question is, what's the difference?

Also, I couldn't find it in the manual but someone told me that this device can automatically set the wattage and voltage to the attached tank but I'm not sure how. I'm coming from an ego where I'm used to pushing a button and taking a hit. This is all very new to me any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Daryl Glen

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Titusville, FL, USA
www.youtube.com
To keep it basic:
If you use it in voltage mode, every time you switch a head with different ohms on it, you would need to increase or decrease the level of volts you have set on the device.
If you are in variable WATTAGE mode, once you find what watts you enjoy, the device will automatically adjust the volts if you change heads with different ohms on it.
Long story short, in voltage mode, you have to manually adjust your power setting if you switch heads out with different ohms.
In wattage mode, once you have it set, the device will change automatically when you switch heads out with different ohms and adjust your power output accordingly, so you don't burn out a head, or overpower it.

I tried to be as general as possible!!

Saltraker

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hannibal, Missouri
No, the device does not "automatically" set the voltage or the wattage. You have to do it. With wattage, the device "automatically" detects the amount of ohms and adjusts the voltage to achieve the wattage you set. I'm not sure if the V3 "remembers" wattage or voltage, like you when you turn if off and then back on. My MVP does, however. Play with it awhile. You'll get it.:cool:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
IMHO variable wattage is a nice feature, but more of a luxury. Daryl summed it up pretty well. The only thing is if you are switching atty, tank, etc., all of the time chances are you'll have different juice in them all. Different juice can often mean you'll want a different power setting, which kind of negates the wattage function.

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Variable Voltage, you control the voltage output manually. Variable Wattage has the mod adjust the Voltage accordingly with the Resistance of the coil in use. I suggest getting into Ohm's Law a tad, and use these charts to help you get started. Don't worry about being in the red a little bit. I'm always at about 8-11 Watts with single coil cartomizers, mostly at 9-10 Watts. You may want it lower, you may not. You'll know when the power or energy is too high.

power.jpg
Edit^Somebody that can quickly pull ^one of those images up with a link would be a nice help...:)

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Devices with variable wattage are basically "set and forget." The point about different liquids tasting different at different wattages is a good one, though. Some liquids taste better when used at a lower wattage. Some taste better at a higher setting.

The key difference is that you can adjust the voltage in 0.1 increments, while wattage can only be adjusted in 0.5 increments, so the VV feature lets you adjust the performance of the device with a higher resolution.

I like my flavors warm and my vapor clouds full, so VW is my preferred setting and I'm usually happy at somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 watts. Your mileage, like all mileages here, is probably gonna vary.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Will ya take a look at that ?
Talk about a "Peoples Popular Front of Judea" .... Splitters !! ;)

Are these devices working from feedback or blindly following an algorithm ?

We should all just get ProVaris and Kayfuns, and thus be done with all this rubbish.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Variable Voltage, you control the voltage output manually. Variable Wattage has the mod adjust the Voltage accordingly with the Resistance of the coil in use. I suggest getting into Ohm's Law a tad, and use these charts to help you get started. Don't worry about being in the red a little bit. I'm always at about 8-11 Watts with single coil cartomizers, mostly at 9-10 Watts. You may want it lower, you may not. You'll know when the power or energy is too high.

View attachment 256939
Edit^Somebody that can quickly pull ^one of those images up with a link would be a nice help...:)

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen this chart posted everywhere as the "go to" reference for vaping.

I also can't tell you how many vapors look at that chart and laugh out loud, ask most rebuilders they'll tell you that chart is garbage. I don't vape within their green area that's fur sure. In fact some of my vapes aren't even calculated within that chart at all.

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
We should all just get ProVaris and Kayfuns, and thus be done with all this rubbish.

Not sure if we crossed wires there , so to speak ?
Mileage may vary ..Front of Judea .. Monty python Splitters .. as a little joke to the anecdotal world of vaping on the net .
So ye , you non-committal *did someone say beep ?*

:p

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
If I got a Kayfun, I'll already have a svoemesto... I think I can end this post.:)

Well I do have a Provari and I am happy with the consistency I'm kinda thinking vw thoug I have been vaping only a short while
might be a gimmick. I got a Provari because of its rep for reliability and durability along with customer service.
If it ever becomes readily available I shall do my best to have one of these svoemesto.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Devices with variable wattage are basically "set and forget." The point about different liquids tasting different at different wattages is a good one, though. Some liquids taste better when used at a lower wattage. Some taste better at a higher setting.

The key difference is that you can adjust the voltage in 0.1 increments, while wattage can only be adjusted in 0.5 increments, so the VV feature lets you adjust the performance of the device with a higher resolution.

I like my flavors warm and my vapor clouds full, so VW is my preferred setting and I'm usually happy at somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 watts. Your mileage, like all mileages here, is probably gonna vary.

Good explanation. There are variable wattage models that allow you to adjust the wattage in .01 increments, also. The Darwin is one of them and I believe there are a couple of others.

Another advantage to variable wattage, in the same vein as switching heads with difference resistance, as you vape on a carto, atty, etc, over time the resistance will change. With VW, it will adjust the power automatically to try and maintain your original preference. As IBCR stated, much closer to "set & forget" than VV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread