variable wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikecomp93

Dec 6, 2014
Middletown, NJ
ok so i just bought my first variable wattage device from my local vape shop and needless to say, i love it. its an e-lite 35w that i am using a VTC4 battery and kanger subtank mini with an OCC 1.2 ohm coil head.

i've raised and lowered the wattage a few times and noticed the "tougher" hits when i bumped it to 20w. but i typically keep it at 10w which is pretty comfortable for me.

my main question is what does raising and lowering the wattage actually do? i've read a few forums around here and i think i understand the jist of it but i'm looking for a plain and simple answer on what it actually does so i can bring everything i've read together.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
which also means your burning through juice faster and drying our your wick faster with that more heat. Also a normal atty will live a much shorter life with higher wattage as well.

When I vaped standard joye 2ohm 510 attys at 10 watts, i'd get about 3 days before they would die.. Now adays when one can coil there own atty you can get away with a lot more wattage and the attys would never die! haha.

I just vape at .70-1.0 ohm attys with a mechanical mod ( Never break and never die! ) at 4.2-3.7v and I can go months before feeling the need to make a new coil on the atty.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Also 10 watts is usually the sweet spot where its best.. Back in the day newbies would start out at 2ohm attys at 3.7v and then after a month or so move on up to a vv/vw device and crank it to 5volts/10 watts and it would be a whole new experience and really love it.

Once you go high voltage/wattage theres really no going back.

More heat means more vapor as well

As I just learned today from watching a youtube vid on the DNA 40: More power = more heat = more vapor. More temperature can just = burnt wick/degraded juices. Could be just marketing speak though, but seems to make some sense. Too much power and not wicking fast enough = too hot = burnt wick. He seemed to be making a point of differentiating between heat and temperature. Sounds a bit confusing. I'll reserve judgement.

Ohms law is basically: Watts (power) = Volts^2 (force) / Ohms (resistance)

So if my non-technical understanding is correct, the resistance is a set value determined by the coil in the atomizer (based on overall length and resistance per length of wire); the volts (which would normally be between 4.2 and 3.5 based on the battery and battery charge) are regulated (steped-up or down) by the VW electronics to produce a set wattage (or power), which in turn increases or decreases heat on the coil, and makes for a stronger hit/more vapor or alternatively burns your wick if set too high for the juice to cool adequately or the wick runs dry.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
which also means your burning through juice faster and drying our your wick faster with that more heat. Also a normal atty will live a much shorter life with higher wattage as well.

That's a little too general and is not accurate.

Wattage is just one variable on the lifespan of a coil, and not a particularly important one in most cases. Far more important are factors like airflow, the efficiency of the wick, the thickness of the juice, the types and colors of flavoring, and the diameter of the chamber and chimney size. I see people here complaining about going through Nautilus coils in a few days or a week running only 9-11 watts but I typically get 4-5 weeks of use out of the same coils running at 19 watts. And when I change coils it's not because the coil itself is dead it's because the wicking material has become too gunked up and I can't be bothered with rewicking disposable heads.

When I vaped standard joye 2ohm 510 attys at 10 watts, i'd get about 3 days before they would die.. Now adays when one can coil there own atty you can get away with a lot more wattage and the attys would never die! haha.

I just vape at .70-1.0 ohm attys with a mechanical mod ( Never break and never die! ) at 4.2-3.7v and I can go months before feeling the need to make a new coil on the atty.

And this totally contradicts your previous claim.

A .7ohm coil on a 4.2V battery is pushing 25 watts, yet your coils are lasting far longer than your 2ohm coils were at just 10 watts. You've increased coil life by months by increasing the wattage to more than twice as high as you were previously using.

Mikecomp93

Dec 6, 2014
Middletown, NJ
wow i was really not expecting this many replies on this thread, thanks guys.

so right now i got a 70VG/30PG liquid in my 1.2ohm OCC stock coil on the mod i bought from a vape shop. i've only been using each for a day since i just got them but so far so good. every now and then i'll bump up to 15w or 20w for a few pulls but i always go back down to 10w (my seet spot right now).

what grade e-juices you guys use? i just got a sampler 6-pack from vapetrik and they range from 60/40 - 80/20. i've heard anything passed 70/30 should be used in an RDA not a tank, thoughts?

thanks again guys!

• Useful
Reactions: shedawg

zachdelaro

Account closed on request
Apr 4, 2015

so right now i got a 70VG/30PG liquid in my 1.2ohm OCC stock coil on the mod i bought from a vape shop. i've only been using each for a day since i just got them but so far so good. every now and then i'll bump up to 15w or 20w for a few pulls but i always go back down to 10w (my seet spot right now).

what grade e-juices you guys use? i just got a sampler 6-pack from vapetrik and they range from 60/40 - 80/20. i've heard anything passed 70/30 should be used in an RDA not a tank, thoughts?

thanks again guys!

how much nic do you use? that contributes to harshness. also, a gauge i use for watts is the voltage equivalent that it shows. for most coils, i try to avoid going over 4.2v unless i am doing some stupid stuff like trying to produce a decent vape out of a monstrosity of a coil. also airflow. more airflow or a harder draw helps it cool down. tinker around and find the sweet spot, every atomizer has one!

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas

thanks again guys!

That depends entirely on the tank.

It really comes down to airflow and wicking efficiency. A subohm tank will have a huge amount of airflow, a lot of wick to draw in juice really fast, and are usually used on 50/50 or higher VG based juices. They also tend to work best when the wattage is 30W as a minimum. You also need to do straight lung hits with these to get them to work right. If you're used to doing mouth-to-lung hits, like smoking a cigarette, then it may not be for you.

I normally use the Aspire Nautilus tank. It is a little more restrictive on airflow, so it works better for the mouth-to-lung hit method, but it still wicks very well. I use a 50/50 mix juice in mine. As I said before, I vape mine at 19 watts.

Since you have the subtank, try this...

Set the airflow to the highest setting so it draws as much air in as possible. Crank the wattage back up to 20W and suck the vapor directly into your lungs. That's how the tank was meant to be used. PG tends to give more of a "throat hit" which is that slight scratchy feeling on the back of your throat so high PG mixes really aren't good for subohm tanks as they are more likely to make you cough and irritate your throat on straight lung hits. You want a 50 VG/50 PG or higher VG juice. VG is a thicker juice though, and doesn't wick really well, so 80 VG/20 PG is pushing the limits of the OCC coils.

Give that a shot and see how it works for you.

Last edited:

Mikecomp93

Dec 6, 2014
Middletown, NJ
damn dude, thats a lot of great info. forgot to check back at this thread for more replies over the last few days.

after i finished off the 70VG/30VG juice i had i started the sampler pack i got. first one up was bubbletronic which a 80VG/20VG juice. used it on the same 1.2ohm OCC coil head and it tasted great. i mostly vaped that one at a max of 18watts, typically 15watts or 12.5watts. and i just put another 80vg/20vg and the coil is still going pretty strong.

little by little i'm starting to get the hang of this,

thanks man.

As has been said before:

higher wattage = more heat and possibly a different flavor

too much wattage =

No.....too much wattage and lack of juice is what causes flames.

I vape at 150 watts regularly, and never have a problem with burning wicks or dry hits.

It's all about heat dissipation (air flow and liquid).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread