VariCool SMokbox By Smoktek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diagasa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
USA
I've had the Smokbox for about a week now I must say that I am not using any of my other mods... I've been a huge fan of the dual coil cartos on a high drain battery for a while now, and when I found out that you could up the voltage on them past 4 volts I knew I had to have the Smokbox.

Price:
$54.95

Build:
The mod itself is a simple 3AA battery box with a horn style button and a 510 connection on the top. Inside the box is a very clean circuit board and potentiometer in the middle bay. The soldering is all very clean and the inner components are held in place with hot glue. The pot has a green dot and a red dot on it which are 3.8v and 5v respectively. The low end of the spectrum is 3.3 volts where as the high end of the spectrum is 6.7 volts on a fully charged set of batteries. You can vape anywhere in between 3.3v and 6.7v, adjusting to what carto/atty you have attached.

Testing:
I've tried everything from 3ohm Boge cartos to 1.5ohm dual coils on the mod and I can run them all the way from 3.3v to 6.7 volts without any silly error codes or a failure to fire. I even had an old 1.5ohm atomizer and it fired at 6.7 volts with no problem until two seconds later I popped the coil... There is no protection for a LR atty at a high voltage with this device, so you can easily run your 1.5ohm dual coils all the way at 6.7 volts if your heart so feels the need.

Customer Service Experience:
Customer service can easily make or break a supplier for me and this is one of the few cases where customer service is top notch. There is a live chat option on the website and the owner himself is usually online to answer your questions. I was also sent a 3ml sample of Gorilla juice to try.

Final Thoughts and Recommendations:
For anyone looking to try variable voltage without breaking the bank, I would suggest looking into this mod. Also, forget about special meters and knowing your voltages, just adjust the voltage to wherever it feels right. For example, if you find yourself needing more throat hit or that your carto/atty isn't performing at its peak. up the voltage. If you are getting a burnt taste or too much throat hit turn the voltage down. There is no complex menu system or multiple button presses to do the above task, you simply remove the back cover and adjust the wheel on the pot to where it feels right. There are classier mods out there but you will find that with the classier mods you loose a little bit of functionality...

Ratings:
Ease of Use~ 10/10
Product Quality~10/10
Shipping Speed~10/10
Customer Service After Purchase~10/10

Thanks For Checking Out My Review!

Diagasa

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
What has the battery life been like? The advantage of this box - compared to others with similar design and features - is that the selection of regular is supposed to give you longer run times. I know Mad Vapes has a similar vv box but doesn't make any particular claims about longer battery run time. And the Mad Vapes version is nearly $20.00 less!

Diagasa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
USA
What has the battery life been like? The advantage of this box - compared to others with similar design and features - is that the selection of regular is supposed to give you longer run times. I know Mad Vapes has a similar vv box but doesn't make any particular claims about longer battery run time. And the Mad Vapes version is nearly $20.00 less!

The smokbox is of varicool design. It does not turn excess voltage into heat, and it is also about 99% efficient. I ran two high drain Imr batteries in it for about 14 hours and I chain vape at around 4.2 - 4.6.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
Received the VariCool SMokbox today in the mail. It's working great so far. I can't say how long the batteries will last compared to the MadVapes metered VV box/metered yet. I can say that it does seem to run cooler though. I've put the same 2.5 ohm DCT tank on both at 4.5V. When chain vaping each for about 5 minutes the bottom of the MadVapes gets warm but the VariCool doesn't. They both vape great though and I haven't noticed any difference in vapor volume between the two. I'll keep you guys posted on battery life difference after a few days of vaping each PV.

Diagasa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
USA
Is this the same thing as the Foxy Box Mod?
I'm trying to choose between this one (a.k.a. Foxy VV Box?) and the Lavatube.

How is the variable voltage wheel? Do you have to take the backplate off to get at it?
If so, is this a real pain in the rear, or no?

When I put a new atty or carto on my Smokbox I leave the back off until I find the sweet spot. It only takes about thirty seconds or less to find where you want it.

If you are planning on using dual coil cartos, I'd suggest the Smokbox. I can run a 1.5ohm DC at 3.3 or 6.7 with no voltage resets to 3.7 or error messages. I can't speak on the Foxy mod, but the Smokbox is very solid and the customer service is really good. I even got a follow up email from his site to see if my goods made it to me on time. I'd personally suggest looking into the smokbox. It fits the hand really well and once you take 30 seconds to find your sweet spot, it stays there until your batteries die or you decide to change up the voltage.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I got the Vari-Cool variable voltage box mod a couple of weeks ago. It's wonderful! I love the 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomizers on it at 5 volts. 1.25 dual coils are good at 4 volts. The battery charge lasts a long time; about the same as my Kgo. Almost a full day. Love this mod!!! I bought the voltage meter, but as Diagsa said, it's really not necessary. I have had it "die" once; waited 5 minutes, then it reset and was fine.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
where is photos and weblink? ;)

Welcome! Saw your post about the 5 post forum wait - that wasn't too long, was it? The Smok-Tek VariCool box is here:

SmokTek "SmokBox VariCool" - Custom variable volt Box Mod - Efficient switching regulator! adjustable 3,4,5,6.5 volt's & everything between.

I ordered one this weekend - should be here today.

I don't know if Smok-Tek ships outside the USA - it doesn't say at the web site. E-mail Rob at the web sight if you want to ask. He always answers e-mails very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread