Vent hole in bottom cap: false sense of security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
If everyone would be using Li-Mn we probably wouldn't need to talk about vent holes in bottom caps.
I'm only using IMR these days but when you check the "batteries & chargers" section you'll see people are still using ICR too (more capacity). Not everyone's informed about the safety of batteries and every starter can buy a mod and put inside whatever's available. Hence the manufacturers should build in as much safety precautions as possible. I think it would be a good idea if they made the battery go in bottom first and having the battery's vent holes near the bottom cap of the unit.
I totally agree with you that the industry should make the difference between the different chemistries more clear.
That's the very reason I didn't purchase a 14250 mod. There is only one manufacturer that produces IMR 14250 batteries, and they outright refused to ship to the USA due to stiffer regulations.

Meanwhile, the person who makes the device insisted that li-ion batteries were safe to use in it, even after I explained I'd be using it with RDAs and micro coils.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of uninformed people about the improper/proper use of batteries.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
The purpose of a vent hole is to allow pressure to escape, somehow. The alternative is that you have a strong metal tube, where the only possibility of pressure release is through a drastic rupture (aka "Pipe Bomb"). Vent holes can make a dramatic failure better, but it's pretty much limited to reducing effects of the tube on what is already a disastrous event. It WILL get very hot. It WILL spew high-temperature flames and potentially dangerous fumes. A vented mod can still catch your house on fire. It's unlikely, however, to blow up like a grenade, sending shrapnel around the room. It might help limit fire damage, but that's just a side effect.

The lithium batteries are the dangerous part, and if they blow, that is scary. Vents are intended to prevent the mod from making it worse, and shouldn't be relied on to make it better.

Once the "Fire" has started it is too late to prevent damage. To me vent holes give you enough time to toss the thing. More than likely you will sustain some burns but better than a grenade going off. Since we are on this topic how come cell phones are not a big issue and little media attention? Go to YouTube and search cell phone explodes. Simple matter of cell phones are good. E-Cigs are bad. As you will see there is no bias in the media. Yah right. I personally feel the E-cig community is far more responsible and effective in disseminating information to the users than the cell phone industry.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I like mine with the 5 volt NiMH batteries, or IMR in a pinch
.What do these look like? All I know are these 4-cell packs which wouldn't fit in a K100 even if you'd be using a sledgehammer :)

They are a 4 cell pack in the size and shape of an 18650, just a few mm shorter, fit fine.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Here is one example of the NiMH batteries. Keep in mind they are only 600 mAh and you need to keep the current draw reasonable. The feeling I get is no less than 2.0 ohms and 2.5 is probably better. Need a special charger and should not be undercharged or one of the cells inside can get low. But they may be safer than IMR Li-ion and they work quite well.

Did I get that right Stosh?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Here is one example of the NiMH batteries. Keep in mind they are only 600 mAh and you need to keep the current draw reasonable. The feeling I get is no less than 2.0 ohms and 2.5 is probably better. Need a special charger and should not be undercharged or one of the cells inside can get low. But they may be safer than IMR Li-ion and they work quite well.

Did I get that right Stosh?

Interesting. I never knew these existed.

Those are the ones, they are about 5.2 volts on full charge, 4.8 volts nominal. They don't do extreme high current, so a 2-2.5Ω coil work best. You get higher wattage without lowering your coil to a near short circuit.

I've built some mods using 4 of the AA size NiMH or NiZn cells, very cheap, easy to build, and with a normal resistance coil a very warm vape.

ILoveNorCal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Nor•Cal
Those are the ones, they are about 5.2 volts on full charge, 4.8 volts nominal. They don't do extreme high current, so a 2-2.5Ω coil work best. You get higher wattage without lowering your coil to a near short circuit.

I've built some mods using 4 of the AA size NiMH or NiZn cells, very cheap, easy to build, and with a normal resistance coil a very warm vape.

What charger are you using with the NiMH batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread