venting episode sony vct-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Fyi- on my smy god s mod, which holds 3 batteries Sony vct-4. A small episode of the mod slipping from my hand about 1ft onto padded carpet resulted in the body of the mody getting very warm very quickly. I immediately moved mod to safe location to where within about 3 minutes #3 battery vented from top of battery. Yes i'm experienced and was not using mod in any other way than described. After mod cooled i removed backing and saw where #3 had vented. It looked like some leakage into mod. Unhappy I ended up discarding smy god mod S. I now have pioneer 4 you v4, and a v2

Paul

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry for your unfortunate experience. :( I've had a battery explode in a mech mod before, myself. It's a scarey experience.

Not sure what caused the battery to vent, but it likely was due to a hard short to the battery when the physical trauma to the mod occured when it hit the floor. Or, a short to the coil occured.

You see, even the safest batteries available to us (high drain, safe chemistry IMR) can still vent hot gas, ruin a mod, or worse.

Glad to hear that your only losses were your battery and mod, and not your hand, face, or home.

Last edited:

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Sorry for your unfortunate experience. :( I've had a battery explode in a mech mod before, myself. It's a scarey experience.

Not sure what caused the battery to vent, but it likely was due to a hard short to the battery when the physical trauma to the mod occured when it hit the floor. Or, a short to the coil occured.

You see, even the safest batteries available to us (high drain, safe chemistry IMR) can still vent hot gas, ruin a mod, or worse

Glad to hear that your only losses were your battery and mod, and not your hand, face, or home.

I owe thanks to the build quality and vent holes. The god mod is one of the best built mods that ive seen with a very secure battery cover. I purchased the ipv4 with tc and not giving much attention to the slip on battery cover, which is soft plastic like with no secure attachement. Now my god mod vct4 just vented from top. Nothing explosive, but should something go wrong with the batteries in the IPV 4 i would have no protection from any violent reaction. I really think for safety reasons builders of these high amp, high wattage mods there should be secure battery covers with the vent holes on bottom. The ipv4 has vent hole, but like i said if there was an explosive accident i would have NO! Protection. Be safe

Reactions: inspects
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread