Very Important-E-liquid Steeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wissel Joe

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Medina, Ohio
I didn't not know much about steeping of e-liquids but I got some good tips and links from a member here Bikenstein Thank you.
I got my vape Wild order yesterday and out of the box the flavor was for lack of a better word not great, I removed the caps and tips to let them breath
over night then today I did the hot water trick to speed up the steeping.

Hot water steep (Giving your mix a nice warm bath)

This is a very common method of express steeping juice. After mixing you are going to shake it up real well and soak the bottle of juice in hot water.

Mix your juice and make sure it’s in a good glass bottle with a secure non leaking cap. Shake the mix well. Then fill a thermos cup that has a tight fitting lid with water no hotter then 150F. Place the bottle in the water and close the lid. Wait for the water to cool to room temperature, remove the bottle and shake it very well. Then repeat the whole process over 2 more times.

Although this is the least efficient form of express steeping it will get you to a some what vapeable state. Still be aware that the mix will be no where near fully steeped quality.

Recent testing and discussion has determined that 150F is the optimum temperature for steeping.

Wow what a difference, Vape Wild included 2 free bottles with my order Grape Gatsby and Smurf Cake both taste amazing and will still get better over time.
I will be ordering both these with my next purchase I got 12 more bottles coming from them cant wait.

1 thing I learned is steeping is very important to get the most out of your flavors.
I would not have learned this if it wasn't for this forum and Bikenstein...THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
So all this talk about steeping.... If it's "the way" then why the heck don't juice companies steep before selling/shipping??

I'm not doubting the idea of steeping and know it works/etc, but why can't I just buy something and have it ready to vape??

Like I don't buy Scotch and then expect to have to throw it in a barrel and then "get it ready to drink". Why do I need to do this with e-liquid? Kind of a pain in the a** if you ask me - right?

Maybe I should open up my own business of buying a bunch of different liquids and then steeping them, and turn a profit! Lol

cheech226

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA. USA
So all this talk about steeping.... If it's "the way" then why the heck don't juice companies steep before selling/shipping??

I'm not doubting the idea of steeping and know it works/etc, but why can't I just buy something and have it ready to vape??

Like I don't buy Scotch and then expect to have to throw it in a barrel and then "get it ready to drink". Why do I need to do this with e-liquid? Kind of a pain in the a** if you ask me - right?

Maybe I should open up my own business of buying a bunch of different liquids and then steeping them, and turn a profit! Lol

many times an order is custom mixed then shipped, no time for steeping.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I think you'll have trouble imposing your definition, Bunnykiller. It seems most people are using "steep," and since it's synonymous with "imbue" or "infuse," it's serviceable in the context of flavorings in e-liquid. "Aging" is also an appropriate term, maybe even better since it implies the longer timeframe.

Neither really covers the warming, breathing, and shaking that goes into e-liquid treatment, which is a distinct activity from brewing tea or cellaring potables. But use either, and most vaping initiates will know what you mean.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
many times an order is custom mixed then shipped, no time for steeping.
In those instances - yes. But I think every bottle I've bought (many from many different companies) all show their "date" on them as being the day they're bottled I believe. I mean custom mixes are not the norm.

For their turn-through movers I think it's silly they don't arrive tasting their best and require "aging". They can steep/age their big mixes in a frigging bowl for a week and then bottle. How much business is lost from people that open, throw in a carto or drip to try before throwing in a tank? If they don't like what they try, I'm sure it's given away or sold or just sit for good. When they could have a repeat buyer.

You want your "best taste" to be the first thing people try in my opinion. That would make the most businesses sense at least.

I digress... Just something that bothers me and I seem to be the extreme minority while others like changing/morphing flavors.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I think you'll have trouble imposing your definition, Bunnykiller. It seems most people are using "steep," and since it's synonymous with "imbue" or "infuse," it's serviceable in the context of flavorings in e-liquid. "Aging" is also an appropriate term, maybe even better since it implies the longer timeframe.

Neither really covers the warming, breathing, and shaking that goes into e-liquid treatment, which is a distinct activity from brewing tea or cellaring potables. But use either, and most vaping initiates will know what you mean.

so I suppose walking and running is the same thing too.... to move on legs in a general direction.... :)

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
so I suppose walking and running is the same thing too.... to move on legs in a general direction.... :)

Heheh...no...Walking and Running are not the same as Steeping, and as I continue Aging I do less of this anyway...except Steeping. I do a fair amount of that.

P.S. Does shaking large bottles of liquid for minutes at a time count as exercise? It should. Sometimes it makes me a little sweaty with the larger orders.

P.P.S. Yes I deliberately missed your point in order to wittily deflect it. And then I digressed even further in a humorous way. You may consider this an honorable surrender.

Reactions: AllElseFailed

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
did you know steeping is the wrong word?? the proper word is aging..

tea is steeped
wine is aged
e juice is aged since there are no solids in it in which flavor is being extracted from....
I notice you use the term "e juice". Electronic juice? Something tells me "e juice" may not be the most accurate term either. :confused:

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Maybe the reason most companies don't pre-steep is who knows how long their product will sit on the shelves. You might buy some driptonic that's steeped a week(their target) and then sales drop, and you reorder and that bottle steeped a month. You wanna send out the same product right
^ ^ ^ This is a very valid point you bring up!

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I notice you use the term "e juice". Electronic juice? Something tells me "e juice" may not be the most accurate term either. :confused:

AH ha!!! you caught it..... so the word e juice isnt a proper term for what we consume.... but steeping is considered just fine to apply to the action of letting ones juice become better in flavor

if steeping is ok to use then brew is applicable too.... you are still extracting a flavor from something to end up in the liquid and temp has no bearing on it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread