Voltage sag

Status
Not open for further replies.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
An online vape shop here at Greece at the description for dotBox Dual Mech mod says"

"Switch to Parallel Mode for longer Vaping time and exceptional power from two 18650 batteries".

The dotbox dual mech has the option to select series or parallel connection via a switch.
dual_mech_mod_dotmod_dotbox_vapexperts_196_0x315.jpg
I send them a email that this doesn't apply (for the same power output always),for example 0.1 ohm coil in parallel connection and 0.4 ohm coil in series connection.

Two batteries in series provide the same amount of watt hours a parallel connection does.

The vapeshop replied and told me that the description is copy and paste from Dotmod.com

Indeed.
QUOTE from dotBox Dual Mech - dotmodretail
"Last Longer. Switch to Parallel Mode for longer Vaping time and exceptional power from two 18650 batteries".

The vape shop also said that the voltage sag at parallel connection is spread out over the two batteries in Parallel.Thus more vaping time than using a series connection.

Okey I made the calculations for voltage sag using for example two Sony VTC5A 18650 batteries with a DC Internal Resistance = 18.6mOhms (0.018 ohm).

I got the same voltage sag 0.378 V in both configurations (0.1 build in parallel-0.4 build in series).

Am i correct or am I missing something?(i'll send to the vape shop the link for this thread so they can read your opinions because i think they believe i'm talking bulls..t!:censored:

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
An online vape shop here at Greece at the description for dotBox Dual Mech mod says"

"Switch to Parallel Mode for longer Vaping time and exceptional power from two 18650 batteries".

The dotbox dual mech has the option to select series or parallel connection via a switch.
dual_mech_mod_dotmod_dotbox_vapexperts_196_0x315.jpg
I send them a email that this doesn't apply (for the same power output always),for example 0.1 ohm coil in parallel connection and 0.4 ohm coil in series connection.

Two batteries in series provide the same amount of watt hours a parallel connection does.

The vapeshop replied and told me that the description is copy and paste from Dotmod.com

Indeed.
QUOTE from dotBox Dual Mech - dotmodretail
"Last Longer. Switch to Parallel Mode for longer Vaping time and exceptional power from two 18650 batteries".

The vape shop also said that the voltage sag at parallel connection is spread out over the two batteries in Parallel.Thus more vaping time than using a series connection.

Okey I made the calculations for voltage sag using for example two Sony VTC5A 18650 batteries with a DC Internal Resistance = 18.6mOhms (0.018 ohm).

I got the same voltage sag 0.378 V in both configurations (0.1 build in parallel-0.4 build in series).

Am i correct or am I missing something?(i'll send to the vape shop the link for this thread so they can read your opinions because i think they believe i'm talking bulls..t!:censored:

For your particular example you are correct. But if we change the values to either the same resistance used, or same current draw at the coil used, then the Parallel config would employ a longer run time. The marketing and salesmen are correct, to a certain extent. But there is a point of diminishing returns with the Parallel config.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If you do what they say "Switch to Parallel Mode for longer Vaping time" then the 0.4 ohm high mass coil that is made for high wattage in series mode,will be an anemic vape after switching in parallel mode.
160 watt vs 40 watt.

That is one possibility. But there are many other possibilities that could favor a parallel config. Like I said, the marketing is correct – BUT… will depend on how it is used.

My Triade claims 300 watts, but the max 10 volt output limit means 300 watts is only obtainable with a very small select range of resistance. It’s marketing of 300 watts is correct, just not very specific ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread