voltmeter/ohm reader question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtodd211

Dec 2, 2014
San Antonio
So I have this voltmeter/ohm reader lying around. I'm picking up my very first mod tomorrow (yes I understand basic safety with battery and mod) and was wondering if this will work? I'm on a bit of a budget and would like an answer before tomorrow when I run into town (I live 50 miles from the city so I don't go often) please and thank you :)

Attachments

• 20141204_014833.jpg
    20141204_014833.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 10

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So I have this voltmeter/ohm reader lying around. I'm picking up my very first mod tomorrow (yes I understand basic safety with battery and mod) and was wondering if this will work? I'm on a bit of a budget and would like an answer before tomorrow when I run into town (I live 50 miles from the city so I don't go often) please and thank you :)

Howdy,

:facepalm: It might need a fresh battery. Watch below to learn how to use it correctly.

BE SAFE
I

Sep9000

Dec 4, 2014
yeah it will work. I use the same exact one. What you want to do is put it on resistance 200, touch the probes together until the reading stablizes. These things are sometimes not accurate and doing this tells you how off it is. Once you get this reading go ahead and measure the resistance of your coil and subtract whatever number you got earlier from the reading for the true resistance. I personally do this everytime before I measure the resistance of my coils just because how this thing reads seems to change. One time it was 1.3 ohms off, but lately it's just 0.1-0.2 ohms off.

Also as far as measuring the resistance of your coils go, press the proves firmly against the screws/post that hold the coils.

In my opinion those screw in ohm readers for vapes are trash. Waste of money really. They serve one function. You can do a lot more with these volt meters while paying less.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
How to test resistance of your atty:

Connect the black test lead to the jack marked "Common" or "-"; connect the red test lead to the jack marked with the Ω (Ohm symbol) or letter "R" near it.

To check the resistance of your atomizers:

1. Turn your multimeter on and select the lowest Ohms setting, usually 200Ω.

2. Look at the display; the left side of the screen should display number 1.

3. First, test the resistance of your leads. Touch to two leads together, firmly, and wait for numbers to stabilize. On the right side of the screen, you should see a number between 0.0 and 0.4, or so. This is the resistance of your leads. Remember that number.

4. Now, to test your atty. Position your carto firmly on your desk; you don't want it to slip and slide all over the place. Touch one lead to the hole in the center of the atty and the other lead to the threads. Again read the display after the numbers have stabilized.

5. Subtract the resistance of your leads (#3) from the resistance of your atty(#4). This is the resistance of your atomizer.

This process takes some getting used to. Steady hand helps. Just keep practicing and you'll figure it out.

There are many tutorials on Youtube--watch them if you're a visual learner:

I like this one by GeekGirlVaper:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread