VooPoo Drag S2 Pod Kit - Internal 2500 mAh Battery, 60W, PnP X Coils | Reviews by Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    voopoo drag S2 Pod Kit
    Xceeding All Expectations

VooPoo S2 Site Banner.png

Hi folks. I have another review for you today. This one's a bit late, but both the voopoo drag S2 and X2 arrived a few weeks after they released the products to the public, and I will not submit any review(s) without at least a few weeks of testing. VooPoo's latest Drag products have come in the form of pod kits this time. The Drag S2 and Drag X2 are very much the same product, but with one having an internal 2500 mAh battery (S2) and one using an external 18650 battery (X2). This review will focus solely on the Drag S2, but I'll be posting a similar review of the Drag X2 immediately following. There is a wattage range difference between the two for those who find the lower resistance, higher wattage vapes to be more appealing. Both of these kits utilize VooPoo's PnP X series coils, which is a first time experience for me and have been a pleasant surprise for most part, but there's certainly an important caveat. We'll cover these items of note further into the review.

For a better look at color options, coil/pod compatibility, MTL/DL options, features, specs, and package contents, you can find that on VooPoo's Drag S2 page here.

I want to thank VooPoo for sending out these products for review (even though they were way late). As always, this critique will be conducted in a fair and honest manner. All opinions found within are my own.

→ PRODUCT INFO ←

Drag S2 Specs:

DTL Version

Device:

Color: Spray Black, Gray Metal, Colorful Silver, Pearl White, Modern Red, Sky Blue, Glow Pink

Material: Zinc Alloy + Leather

Battery Capacity: 2500 mAh Built-in Battery

Output Power: 5-60 W

Output Voltage: 3.2-4.2 V

Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0 Ω

Cartridge:

Cartridge Name: PnP X Cartridge DTL

Cartridge Capacity: 5.0 mL (Standard & US) / 2.0 mL (TPD)

Recommended E-liquid: 50-70% VG, Nicotine≤35 mg

Resistance: 0.2 Ω / 0.3 Ω

Standard Coils: PnP X 0.2 Ω / PnP X 0.3 Ω

MTL Version

Device:

Color: Spray Black, Gray Metal, Colorful Silver, Pearl White, Modern Red, Sky Blue, Glow Pink

Material: Zinc Alloy + Leather

Battery Capacity: 2500 mAh Built-in Battery

Output Power: 5-60 W

Output Voltage: 3.2-4.2 V

Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0 Ω

Cartridge:

Cartridge Name: PnP X Cartridge MTL

Cartridge Capacity: 5.0 mL (Standard & US) / 2.0 mL (TPD)

Recommended E-liquid: 50% VG, Nicotine≤35 mg

Drip Tip: Replaceable Drip Tip (For MTL or DTL)

Resistance: 0.3 Ω / 0.6 Ω

Standard Coils: PnP X 0.3 Ω / PnP X 0.6 Ω

Key Features:

Keeping up with Long Aftertaste

Please emphasize based on the PnP platform, VOOPOO PnP X platform brings a long-lasting coil lifespan without flavor fading and coil burning. The thermo-stable cotton and mesh-distributed heating system of PnP X coil is able to sustain 100 mL e-liquid usage with one coil and company you for a whole season with a pack of PnP X coil. The improvement of PnP X coil significantly extends the coil lifespan and reduces the frequency and expense of coil replacement. Besides, VOOPOO PnP X coil can be used with the e-liquid in PG: VG ratio of 7:3 or 5:5, the e-liquid in flavor of coffee and tobacco and the e-liquid in type of freebase+nic salt. The wide compatibility with e-liquids meets users demands for a consistent, rich taste and a pure vaping experience with various e-liquids.

Please note that VOOPOO PnP X platform is a new upgraded platform based on the VOOPOO PnP platform, and its advantages is the long atomization life. Although the cartridges and coils of VOOPOO PnP X are not compatible with the devices compatible with VOOPOO PnP platform, VOOPOO PnP X platform is most suited to DRAG X 2 and DRAG S 2, whose long-lasting performance can only be accomplished with the PNP X platform. In order to further improve the user experience, we will progressively switch the vapes that are now compatible with VOOPOO PnP platform to the PnP X platform.

A Pleasure with Top Airflow Intake

Please emphasize that the PnP X top airflow intake cartridge that comes with the DRAG S2 and DRAG X2 ensures that the air pressure within and outside of the device is balanced, which effectively controls e-liquid and condensate leaks out, offering a satisfying experience.

Professional 2nd Generation, the Classic Returns

DRAG S2 has a maximum output of 60 W and DRAG X2 has a maximum output of 80 W, providing users with a delicate vaping that is similar to smoking. They continue the classic leather and metal design, presenting high quality and trendy fashion. While the clever design makes the device more unique. The excellent grip curve and tactile materials provide a more comfortable vaping experience.

Simple Use with One Hand

We add a new Menu interface and highlight the main information on the UI. What you see is what you get.

PnP X Coil Platform:

Overview

Now, a PnP X coil is able to sustain 100 mL e-liquid. A pack of PnP X coil companies you for a whole season. Continuing the ultimate flavor of the PnP platform, the PnP X platform debuts with the 4th generation atomizing technology. PnP X platform, the newest atomizing solution, integrates 4 advanced technologies into one tiny coil. A PnP X coil provides 4 times more vaping pleasure than other coils.

Features

Thermo-stable Cotton

We select natural and thermal-stable cotton and optimize the thickness and spacing of the cotton fiber to achieve a balanced e-liquid delivery and soaking speed, which improves the atomizing efficiency and coil's lifespan effectively for a consistent taste.

Mesh-distributed Heating System

Based on the research of e-liquid infiltration rate and distribution of the heating zone, we restructure the heating wire to precisely distribute the heat during the atomization process without producing extra heat. Less e-liquid means denser clouds.

Patented 4-layer Leakproof Design

The airway, heating zone, and air cavity are separated in different layers to avoid e-liquid leaking down effectively. The dual L-shape structure in the bottom keeps a balanced pressure, which prevents the condensate from leaking.

Automatic Production

We introduce automatic production to the whole platform product manufacturing for the incredibly premium and reliable product quality.

Advanced Chip, Safe Operation

DRAG X 2, and DRAG S 2 adopt the new Gene.TT 2.0 chip, which smartly works out the best power and offers you 3 modes: Smart, RBA, and ECO. All can be held in your hand.

Cost-effective, Fully Compatible

The PnP X coil is compatible with a full power range of devices: 20-40W / 60-80W / 80-100W & 100W+.

The PnP X series is a new platform for compatibility, but at present it is only compatible with DRAG S 2 and DRAG X 2 and is not compatible with products of the PnP platform.

This time, the PnP X platform brings 2 cartridges and 4 coils.

PnP X Cartridge DTL(Black / Grey / Silver) & PnP X Cartridge MTL(Black / Grey / Silver)

VooPoo Drag S2 MTL & DL Pods.png

Coils: PnP X 0.15 Ω / PnP X 0.2 Ω / PnP X 0.3 Ω / PnP X 0.6 Ω

Important Notes:

1, The PnP X coil package sold in the market contains 5 coils, and each one is able to sustain 100 mL e-liquid without coil burning and e-liquid leaking.

2, All coils of the PnP X platform are designed with directional insertion, and the bottom of the coil will align to the bottom of the pod without a gap after complete insertion.

3, It is recommended to fill the pod with e-liquid to over 2/3 full.

4, Please cover the filler plug after e-liquid filling and let the pod sit for 5 minutes before use.

5, The top airway of the pod is designed with a scale line, which helps adjust airflow precisely.

What is the main difference between VOOPOO PnP X platform and VOOPOO PnP platform?

Upgraded from VOOPOO PnP platform, VOOPOO PnP X platform features a long-lasting atomization performance: a PnP X coil can sustain 100 mL e-liquid and a pack of PnP X coil companies you for a whole season. Although the cartridges and coils of VOOPOO PnP X are not compatible with the devices compatible with VOOPOO PnP platform, VOOPOO PnP X platform is most suited to DRAG X2 and DRAG S2, whose long-lasting performance can only be accomplished with the PnP X platform. In order to further improve the user experience, we will progressively switch the vapes that are now compatible with VOOPOO PnP platform to the PnP X platform.

Differences between DRAG X2 and DRAG S2

Both DRAG S2 and DRAG X2 apply VOOPOO PnP X Platform. The main differences between them are as follows:

Device

DRAG S2 is the device with included 2500 mAh battery and 5-60 W power output.

DRAG X2 is a pod mod with single external 18650 battery (not included in the package). The power range is from 5-80 W.

Cartridge

The standard cartridge for DRAG S2 DTL version is PnP X Cartridge DTL and the compatible coil resistance is 0.2 Ω and 0.3 Ω. The standard coils are PnP X 0.2 Ω and PnP X 0.3 Ω. It is recommended to choose the e-liquid with 50%-70% VG and whose nicotine content of no more than 35 mg. For the DRAG S2 MTL version, the standard cartridge is PnP X Cartridge MTL with replaceable drip tips for MTL to DTL (the wider one for DTL, the narrower and longer one for MTL and RDL) and the compatible resistance is 0.3 Ω and 0.6 Ω. The standard coils are PnP X 0.3 Ω / PnP X 0.6 Ω. It is recommended to choose the e-liquid with 50% VG and whose nicotine content of no more than 35 mg.

The standard cartridge for DRAG X2, PnP X Cartridge DTL, is the only one for the global and its compatible coil resistance is 0.15 Ω and 0.3 Ω. The standard coils are PnP X 0.15 Ω and PnP X 0.3 Ω. It is recommended to choose the e-liquid with 50%-70% VG and whose nicotine content of no more than 10 mg.

VooPoo S2 360 GIF.gif

→ TESTING RESULTS & OBSERVATIONS ←
    (All photos can be clicked on for better viewing)

Intro:

Drag-S2-Display.jpg

Even though both of these products were sent at the same time, and offer very much the same thing, I've been asked to submit separate reviews for both. The magenta box is a reminder that this review is focused on the Drag S2 only, although comparisons will be made here and there with the Drag X2.

What you'll find in the box is pretty standard, but complete enough for me to consider it a solid starter kit. With an internal 2500 mAh battery, there's no need to worry about having or buying external 18650's (and an external charger), like you would with the X2. There isn't a spare PnP X pod cartridge, but it does come with a spare PnP X coil (0.3Ω). You also get a USB Type-C charging cable that's about a foot long, as well as some great bathroom literature. Don't worry, the UI isn't complicated enough for you to need it.

The PnP X Platform:

Drag-S2-X2-Pod.jpg

The PnP X pod cartridge is probably the most important part the Drag S2 pod kit. This isn't to demote the importance or the performance of the S2 pod mod, but it does what it needs to do, and quite simply. PnP X series coils were recently released as an upgrade from the original PnP coils, and that's likely due to the PnP coils being plagued with leakage problems. I, along with many people on reddit and even here on ECF, noticed this from the get-go. With the exception of the newest PnP-TW coils, the X are some of VooPoo's better coils in terms of leak prevention, which to me is the crux of a pod device being a go or no-go. Nobody likes a mess, and what would be the point of a device being pocket or purse-friendly, if it's prone to leaking?

The two tanks that came with the Drag S2 and X2 are identical in form-factor. The only difference here is their color to better match the mods they're paired with.

Neither of the 510 drip tips remove from the PnP X pods. I've either completely lost my grip strength, or these are indeed not meant to be removed. Though I'm a bit confused from VooPoo's site because it shows that the 510 drip tip is removable, but maybe that's a feature exclusive to the MTL kit.

There's one particular thing to note about the coil installation. With all VooPoo coils, as well as many other brands, there are parallel cutouts along the otherwise circular bottom of the coil. It is important that these cutouts line up with the straight edges on the bottom of the pod so that the coil seats and seals properly. This forced orientation is to ensure that the airflow slots on the coil face the two cutout areas with arrows on each side of the coil so that the airflow remains unblocked.

Drag-S2-X2-PnP-X-Coils.jpg

The PnP X coil design is nothing new, it's just that their dimensions do not fit with other VooPoo platforms. There's a single mesh coil wrapped around the inside of the coil head that meet up and attach on both ends with the positive and negative posts as seen above.

The pre-installed coil that comes with the Drag S2 kit has a resistance of 0.2Ω with a recommended wattage range between 40-60W. The spare 0.3Ω coil has a recommended wattage range between 32-40W. I would take these recommendations with a grain of salt, because I don't believe the S2 or X2 pod mods are reading the actual resistance of the coil.

The caveat I mentioned in the intro regarding the PnP X series coils is the coil longevity. Currently, I would say the industry standard is around 1000 puffs per coil before it needs to be replaced. The 0.15Ω coil from the Drag X2 kit was purposefully tested in the Drag S2 to see how it could handle the lowest resistance coil in the PnP X family, and the 60W cap the Drag S2 is capable of is well within the 60-80W recommended range. I generally vape coils slightly below the recommended wattage because I've found that they last longer that way, and I also enjoy a cooler vape. The 0.15Ω coil started to show signs of burning around 500 puffs. Up until that point, it was vaping splendidly well. Since then, I've been lowering the wattage in 5W increments to accommodate this, and it's been working well. However, these coils are certainly not intended to be used in this way when factoring in total coil life. The Drag S2 as of right now has 672 puffs on it, and the wattage has been incrementally lowered to 20W which is where it's at right now, and it's still putting out big clouds. I have never been able to properly fire a coil at 20W with a 0.15Ω coil which is where I've come to the conclusion that the mod isn't actually reading the resistance of the coil - at least not properly. There hasn't been a single 0.01Ω creep in either direction from the stated 0.15Ω resistance on the UI even when switching the pod out and back in with the pod I'm using in the Drag X2, which is remarkably odd. The 0.30Ω reads 0.30Ω every time, and when switched out, the 0.15Ω coil reads 0.15Ω every time. Something is off here.

From my observation, there really isn't much of a difference in how any of the PnP X coils available for the S2 or the X2 vape, other than the wattage being used. The flavor output of the 0.15Ω, 0.20Ω, and 0.30Ω coils are all fairly outstanding, so there are no complaints there. If you do notice a slight burnt taste, dial the wattage down 5W and that should go away. Note that the flavor output and vape heat will decrease the lower that you continue to go.

Drag-S2-X2-Pod-Airflow.jpg

The PnP X pod uses top airflow which is a great choice for leak prevention. Any tank with the airflow positioned at or below the coil is prone to coil leakage finding its way out through the airflow slots when the tank is positioned upright. With the new PnP X pod, you won't have to worry about this. However, you do still have to worry about leakage if the tank is lying on its side. So if I were asked if the new PnP X platform was purse-friendly, I'd make no guarantees. So far, the pod has had very little leakage at all, and what little leakage I had was from the refill port, oddly enough. The amount of leakage seemed more residual than an actual leaking problem, so it was very quick to wipe out and clean up.

The knurling along the top makes turning the airflow quite easy. There is no stop to prevent the airflow ring from continuously spinning, so try to get everything lined up as you like it before it gets dark out. As you can see above, it's fairly difficult with light to distinguish whether the airflow is open or not. I suppose you could always just stick your finger in it to see if it's open or not, lol.

Drag-S2-X2-Pod-Refill.jpg

Like we've seen many times before with pod devices, the refill port is sealed with a rubber bung which is accessed on the side. The refill hole is large enough to easily fit a 120mL Chubby Gorilla bottle nozzle inside of it, and anything smaller should have absolutely no problem.

You'll also notice a little plastic tab sitting just underneath the surface of the refill hole. I've been noticing this more on pod tanks recently, but I believe this was done to help prevent bubbling at the hole which often causes overflow from water tension, before the tank fills up. Make sure the tip of the bottle nozzle is resting on this plastic tab so that it guides the juice into the tank, instead of back up into the hole. If this was in fact why a plastic tab was positioned there, this is very thoughtful and a huge convenience.

The Drag S2 Pod Mod:

Drag-S2-Mod.jpg

The front-facing side of the Drag S2 resembles many of VooPoo's Drag mods, even as far back as the Drag Max, Drag X, and Drag X Pro when VooPoo gave the Drag series a face-lift. The layout from the top down is a big round fire button, 0.96" TFT display, up and down buttons, and USB Type-C charging port. All of the miscellaneous info on the display such as the battery %, coil resistance, voltage output, puff counter, and puff timer are rather small, but the wattage display is very large and easy to read which is the most important part. Also, the buttons are tactile and clicky.

The back of the mod has parallel stitching that runs almost the length of the mod. The stitching separates what looks and feels like faux leather, and a center strip that looks and feels more like pleather. The pleather strip gives the mod more of a gleam.

The base of the mod has a silicone pad which gives the S2 a bit of cushion and grip. This should also add just a slight bit of fall protection if the mod happens to land on this pad. One of the drops that occurred likely landed on this pad, since the thud sounded somewhat cushioned from what you'd expect from metal hitting hardwood.

The pod well has the standard brass/gold-plated spring-loaded positive and negative pins, and the well itself is completely sealed off with no airflow vents of any sort. This will help in keeping leaking problems contained if you happen to run into those issues - so far, I have not.

From testing several battery cycles, I averaged around 100 puffs at the full 60W that the Drag S2 is capable of before needing to recharge it. This is pretty standard for a 2500 mAh battery whether it be internal or external. The puff count per cycle will go up as you decrease in power usage, so a 0.3Ω coil powered at 30W should land you at around 160-175 puffs.

As I noted before, there's something funky with how the mod is reading the coil, and how the resistance is being displayed. As I'm sitting here writing this review, I'm puffing away at 20W with the 0.15Ω coil which should not be possible. 20W is lower than the power I'd use on a fresh 0.15Ω to get the cotton to start wicking; certainly not to vape it. I'm going to put this in the list of cons simply because this is not normal.

When plugged in, the battery charges at 1.5A and should charge from dead to full in about an hour and a half. As with most or all VooPoo chips there is no pass-through vaping, so you cannot vape while it's plugged in.

And as with most VooPoo mods, the Drag S2 fires nearly instantaneously.

One thing I do applaud for most of the latest Drag additions is the use of Zinc-alloy instead of Aluminum-alloy for the exterior shell. Internally, I'm not sure what the frame is made of, but I sincerely hope they didn't choose to use plastic. While Zinc-alloy weighs slightly more than Aluminum-alloy, it offers a much more robust durability which is what keeps these babies ticking after we drop them. I've dropped the Drag S2 a few times from over 3 feet in height and there isn't a single mark on it (knock on wood). The magnets are as strong as they need to be to keep the pod secure under normal operation, but they will not prevent the pod from popping out when dropped.

Operating the UI:

If you've used any of VooPoo's Drag mods since the Drag Max (pretty much anything after the Drag 2), the UI is even simpler than it was back then. The mod cycles in increments of 1W and ranges from 5-60W. It does not round-robin, but that's not a huge deal as it only has a maximum travel of 55W and it cycles pretty quickly once the up or down button is held for more than 2 seconds.

The shortcut key combos are as follows:

Fire button (5 clicks): Powers the device on/off
    Up button + fire button (hold): Locks the entire device
    Up button + down button (hold): Accesses the main menu

The Main Menu options are as follows:

MODE:
    Allows the selection of firing mode; Smart, RBA, or Eco
    > Smart Mode: Caps the wattage based on the resistance of the coil to help prevent premature burning of the coil
    > RBA: Disables the wattage cap so you can choose whatever wattage you want
    > Eco: Fires the device at 10% reduction of stated power (note: the device will auto-switch to Eco Mode at around 40ish% battery remaining - this can be switched back)
    PUFF RESET: Self-explanatory
    ABOUT DEVICE: Displays Chip ID and Level Code
    EXIT: Not a fire exit

→ CONCLUSION ←

My conclusion is that the VooPoo Drag S2 is a fairly solid kit. The flavor outputs of the new PnP X coils are quite good. My main two concerns are the coil longevity and whether or not the resistance of the coil is truly being read, or read accurately. The Drag S2 pod mod knows whether I've popped in a 0.3Ω or 0.15Ω coil because it shows the resistance changes in the UI, but the 0.15Ω is certainly not firing at a resistance of 0.15Ω - unless there's some new coil technology that I'm unaware of that allows this coil to be properly vaping at 20W. In terms of ease of use, it really doesn't get any simpler than this for a pod device that isn't a stick. The fire ramp up is very quick, and fairly consistent assuming you have a decent amount of juice left in the battery. Once the device auto-switches into Eco Mode which is around 40%, the performance starts to drop off from there. It still provides a good vape, but it's noticeably weaker. You can of course switch it out of Eco Mode if you wish.

Pros:
    > Pocket-friendly (purse-friendly if kept upright)
    > No leaking what-so-ever, so far
    > New PnP X coils offer great flavor output
    > Drag S2 is easy to operate
    > Zinc-alloy construction (for durability)
    > Buttons are nice and clicky
    > Plug and play pods
    > PnP X pods have top airflow
    > Airflow ring is easy to adjust
    > Side refill port is mess-free
    > No airflow vents in the pod well (easier cleanup if leaks happen)

Cons:
    > Coil longevity is questionable
    > Not entirely sure if the Drag S2 is accurately reading the coil resistance

Considerations:
    > Internal 2500 mAh battery
    > Airflow position is somewhat difficult to see without proper lighting
    > 510 drip tip is not removable (but looks to be in the MTL kit)

Overall Rating:

And that concludes this review on the VooPoo Drag S2 pod kit. I sincerely hope I covered most of the more insightful aspects regarding this kit. Again, much of what I skipped over can be found on VooPoo's Drag S2 page here. As of right now, VooPoo has the Drag S2 for pre-order, and the PnP X refill coils are not yet available on their site. If you have questions or comments, feel free to leave feedback or PM me. I appreciate the readers, and hope to see you back in future reviews. The Drag X2 review will be posting later today, if you're interested in seeing the slight differences. Thanks again, and happy holidays!

Happy vape hoarding!

:rickroll:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread