Waking up at ~3am with a terrible cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnies4r5

Jul 4, 2022
Hey guys, so I recently got in to gaping nic salt to help me quit smoking cigarettes

I went with a novo 4 with 1.2 ohm mesh coils and 35mg nic salt, usually Nkd 100 brand juice

the day before yesterday and this morning I woke up at about 3am with a terrible dry cough that produced little to no phlem. It is bad I wake up and can’t stop coughing.

I am currently still smoking about 5 cigs a day down from 20+ overall my lungs where feeling better but this cough is super unpleasant, this morning I thought I was gonna puke.

the only bad habit I have had is when I brush my teeth I’ll usually tip the vape a few times before brushing and then go right to bed.

does anyone have any idea what is happening here, I was pretty happy that this was working and was planning to drop the cigs completely within the next couple weeks but now I’m worried

thanks guys

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Most of us experienced the coughing off and on for a few weeks. My experience was my lungs just purging all the bad chemicals from smoking cigarettes. After a few weeks completely cig free the coughing seldom crops up any more. Nowadays it usually is just from the sinus issues I've had since childhood. Even those seldom crop up since I started vaping.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I don't know if this is the reason but I do know that as I was lowering my cigarettes and upping my vape once I got to where I was really only smoking a couple cigarettes a day I started with this cough. Now fortunately I had tried to quit smoking numerous times and I recognized what was happening for me anyhow. Every single time I had stopped smoking started with a dry cough where nothing was coming up and ended up after getting rid of the cigarettes all together coughing up materials that have little black specks. I don't want to get too grotesque but I think most of us have had this experience when we gave up cigarettes. Also when I first started vaping sometimes the vape itself would choke me but it wasn't really in the middle of the night it was when I took my first vape of the morning or when I got home after not vaping for a while. But if you start coughing up things with little black specks in them it's probably your lungs shedding the residue from the burnt tobacco. You could also have a variety of other issues going on but that's just my personal experience.

One thing cigarette smoking does do is actually paralyzed the (I think they're called) cilia And those cilia give you a sensation of coughing so if they are paralyzed you don't cough If they start to regain the ability to do what they are supposed to do once again you will start coughing

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I think the only thing to do here is to stop vaping and see what happens (I know, no one wants to hear that, including me). The if the cough stops, go back to vaping and see what happens. Trial and error. I have heard of people not tolerating nic salt juices, so that could be an issue. But it's way to hard to say for sure. You may have to ditch the nic salt juices and go with regular nicotine (freebase) juices instead, at a lower milligram.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread