Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Has anyone found a cap for a Wasp Nano that takes a "regular" drip tip?
I kinda like the Nano, even over time, as far as the deck and the airflow go - but I'd REALLY love if I could use my own tip(s) instead of only having the integrated cap/tip as an option.

I do know that SOME of those integrated caps you could shove a 510 tip INto - but that's too long/tall/skinny for me. I'm hoping for a cap that fits a Nano with a normal hole in the top for a tip. 510 or 810, I could really make that work.

Thanks for any tips!!

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I wonder if a Basic rda Cap like the NarDa would work?

What is the Inside Diameter of your Wasp Nano Cap? And what is the Distance Up from the Base of the Cap to the Center of the Airflow Holes?
I don't have calipers to measure that exactly enough...
It's a good thought - but I think the Narda holes are substantially smaller (may be why I let me Narda go, a long while back, lol - though I do still have a clone or two I use a bit).

nardanano.jpg

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have found caps that can use a standard drip tip on the Nano, but it was only once and it was long ago. I ended up using Dremel with a fine cylindrical sanding stone and very lightly enlarging the hole. It took a while on the first one because I checked the fit multiple times, it got easier. Nano is all I use anymore, I have five in rotating circulation.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't have calipers to measure that exactly enough...
It's a good thought - but I think the Narda holes are substantially smaller (may be why I let me Narda go, a long while back, lol - though I do still have a clone or two I use a bit).

nardanano-jpg.971365

That's Funny. Because that is why I gave away my Wasp Nano, it was Too Wide Open.

LOL

Anyway, It wouldn't surprise Me if Many Metallic rda Caps can fit over the Wasp Nano's Deck. Because most of those Metallic Caps probably have a Thinner Wall Thickness than what came with the Nano.

The Big Question would be can the Difference in OD's/ID's be taken up with Thicker O-Rings?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I have found caps that can use a standard drip tip on the Nano, but it was only once and it was long ago. I ended up using Dremel with a fine cylindrical sanding stone and very lightly enlarging the hole. It took a while on the first one because I checked the fit multiple times, it got easier. Nano is all I use anymore, I have five in rotating circulation.
Actually, that gives me an idea too - I might just try "grinding down" the top of a Nano cap, aiming to reach a level where the top opening is right for an 810 tip. That might work out - and I can get spare Nano caps to experiment with pretty cheap... ($2, from china)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Actually, that gives me an idea too - I might just try "grinding down" the top of a Nano cap, aiming to reach a level where the top opening is right for an 810 tip. That might work out - and I can get spare Nano caps to experiment with pretty cheap... ($2, from china)

If it works, it is a winner which ever way you go.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Oooh - see that CAP is what I'm looking for - without the adapter.
Sadly, no printer here. :(
Also - wondering how printed materials hold up with heat? I mean a printed mod - sure - but a cap?
Just wondering...
If a top cap is printed with Derlin (Polyoxymethylene POM) or PEI ULTEM (Polyetherimide) they will hold up fine.

They make filaments for both Derlin and PEI.

You already know this, there are many Derlin and PEI top caps for RDA's. I have a few for various RDA's and I'm sure you probably do too.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
If a top cap is printed with Derlin (Polyoxymethylene POM) or PEI ULTEM (Polyetherimide) they will hold up fine.

They make filaments for both Derlin and PEI.

You already know this, there are many Derlin and PEI top caps for RDA's. I have a few for various RDA's and I'm sure you probably do too.
Gotcha - did not know there was Delrin filament!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Here we go!!
Thanks for the help folks - my little DIY project, a success!!! lol
Took a $3 Fasttech Wasp cap.
Sanded down most of the top, as the flare brought the hole closer to 810 size.
Picked a finish level, and used a router/grinder bit to open the hole the last 2 mm or so.
Fit is perfect (trial and error and a little luck)! Might have to make another couple (it's a lot of sanding, but I really like the result here)...

customcap_done1.jpg

If you have access to a 3D printer...

View attachment 971386

wasp nano for 810 drip tip +adaptor 810 to 510 +drip tip 810 @ Pinshape

$3.90 for the design source files for a top cap + 810 to 510 adapter + drip tip.

View attachment 971387
That's Funny. Because that is why I gave away my Wasp Nano, it was Too Wide Open.

LOL

Anyway, It wouldn't surprise Me if Many Metallic RDA Caps can fit over the Wasp Nano's Deck. Because most of those Metallic Caps probably have a Thinner Wall Thickness than what came with the Nano.

The Big Question would be can the Difference in OD's/ID's be taken up with Thicker O-Rings?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Here we go!!
Thanks for the help folks - my little DIY project, a success!!! lol
Took a $3 Fasttech Wasp cap.
Sanded down most of the top, as the flare brought the hole closer to 810 size.
Picked a finish level, and used a router/grinder bit to open the hole the last 2 mm or so.
Fit is perfect (trial and error and a little luck)! Might have to make another couple (it's a lot of sanding, but I really like the result here)...
customcap_done1-jpg.971957

Good Job Train. It Looks Great. Isn't it Cool to look at something and think "I Made That".

If you do a FT order for more Wasp Caps, and you need something small to get into the Free Shipping, these are handy to have for Plastic or Wood DIY Projects.

$7.77 HSS Rotary Milling Cutter Grinding Head (20 Pieces) 2-pack - 3.1mm shank at FastTech - Free Shipping

$3.02 HSS Circular Saw Blade Cutting Discs Wheel Set for Rotary Tool (7 Pieces) - 2000RPM / 22mm + 25mm + 32mm + 35mm + 44mm + 50.8mm blades at FastTech - Free Shipping

Reactions: Train2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread